Program-Specific Info / Q's Program-Specific Info / Q's SUNY Downstate 2017 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
for those who were accepted mind sharing your GPA, and hours?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got waitlisted today morning. Has anyone else heard from suny? I'm remaining hopeful to get accepted off the waitlist!

January 15. Do you think that matters?
I don't think it matters but seems like they were carefully reviewing some applicants thoroughly and needed more time to decide maybe

I got waitlisted today morning. Has anyone else heard from suny? I'm remaining hopeful to get accepted off the waitlist!

Congratulations! I have read posts from last year and quite a few people got accepted off the waitlist. I haven't even gotten an interview yet, but I'm trying to stay positive. Got accepted to another school so I'm not stressing as much. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
hi everyone,
I posted on this a while ago and I still haven't heard anything :(((( I'm kind of assuming at this point that I'm not even going to get an interview. I wish the best to all of you though, especially those who were accepted. I did receive the error message last week as well.

JW has anyone else not heard anything from them either????

Congratulations! I have read posts from last year and quite a few people got accepted off the waitlist. I haven't even gotten an interview yet, but I'm trying to stay positive. Got accepted to another school so I'm not stressing as much. Good luck!
Thank you! Trying to stay positive about the waitlist. I remember you from the nyit thread haha it's great you got in there - I'm still waiting to hear from nyit! It's been 3.5 weeks since my interview hoping I hear something soon!

I'm sure you'll get an interview from downstate!! Admissions told me they are still interviewing people :)

hi everyone,
I posted on this a while ago and I still haven't heard anything :(((( I'm kind of assuming at this point that I'm not even going to get an interview. I wish the best to all of you though, especially those who were accepted. I did receive the error message last week as well.

JW has anyone else not heard anything from them either????
I think you still have a chance for an interview they are still interviewing students! Don't lose hope :)

for those who were accepted mind sharing your GPA, and hours?

Total GPA: 3.42
Hours: 90 total in hand therapy and pediatrics / A semester interning for a lab run by a research OT
Misc. experience: Employed approx. 4 years in various customer service / retail jobs

I don't know / remember my pre-req GPA but it's higher than my total. My grades for those courses were all A/A- and only one B+ I believe.

2 Letters of rec. from OTs / 1 from a professor

Last edited:
Total GPA: 3.42
Hours: 90 total in hand therapy and pediatrics / A semester interning for a lab run by a research OT
Misc. experience: Employed approx. 4 years in various customer service / retail jobs

I don't know / remember my pre-req GPA but it's higher than my total. My grades for those courses were all A/A- and only one B+ I believe.

2 Letters of rec. from OTs / 1 from a professor

congrats on the acceptance !

Has anyone received a rejection notice? I haven't even been asked for an interview :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I was invited for an interview this month :) those who haven't heard anything, don't lost hope! From my understanding, they will be continuing to interview through this month and it is only the 6th!

i had my interview the 14th and still haven't heard back lol

I interviewed with a man named Richard Sabel. He was really nice!

Thanks all, hoping to learn about her interview style.

So I definitely uploaded all my unofficial transcripts on the application, but in November, Downstate asked me to email one transcript because it was "missing" (I checked to see if for some odd reason I forgot it, but there it was with my completed application on the website), so I emailed it. And today I've been asked to "resend" that same transcript! I'm so confused, kind of annoyed, and a bit worried that the fact that they need me to resend it might mean I don't even have a complete application on file!

So I definitely uploaded all my unofficial transcripts on the application, but in November, Downstate asked me to email one transcript because it was "missing" (I checked to see if for some odd reason I forgot it, but there it was with my completed application on the website), so I emailed it. And today I've been asked to "resend" that same transcript! I'm so confused, kind of annoyed, and a bit worried that the fact that they need me to resend it might mean I don't even have a complete application on file!
I would let them know you already had it on file and then you already sent it...if you emailed it to them then maybe even forward that email so they can see the date you sent your transcript!

I think I figured out why... my name is not on my Stony Brook unofficial transcript that I printed from the SBU student portal thingy. I'm soooo annoyed at Stony Brook. They might as well say "hey, we don't put your name on the unofficial transcript so that you are forced into paying us for the official one."

I think I figured out why... my name is not on my Stony Brook unofficial transcript that I printed from the SBU student portal thingy. I'm soooo annoyed at Stony Brook. They might as well say "hey, we don't put your name on the unofficial transcript so that you are forced into paying us for the official one."
Oh ok then yeah that must definitely be it. Glad you figured it out but that does suck smh

Hi everyone! I was accepted Thursday after receiving an e-mail that my decision was ready. I was interviewed 01/15.

The essay involved reading an article about OT practices and summarizing the information. The article had a lot of information and my advice would be to give an example or two for each point without restating everything.

For the interview, along with the basic interview stuff mentioned before, I would suggest thinking about your resume / OT volunteer hours and try to remember details about each of your sites. My interviewer asked me specifically about each site and how I thought the OT(s) there were helping the patients. Maybe think about some of the exercises, interventions, tools, techniques, etc you observed. They also ask about leadership roles you've had, challenges an OT might face, and obviously why OT. Relax, be yourself, and smile/laugh when appropriate haha.

Good luck everyone!

This might be a silly question, but could you please tell me if you were able to type up the essay (with spellcheck capabilities) or if you wrote it out by hand?
I have an interview next week. Thanks!

This might be a silly question, but could you please tell me if you were able to type up the essay (with spellcheck capabilities) or if you wrote it out by hand?
I have an interview next week. Thanks!

Nope, it was to be written out by hand on the back of the article.

Has anyone been asked for an interview recently?
I applied in November and was just emailed about sending in a missing transcript. I am hoping that means they are still looking at applicants.

anyone had an interview and still not hear back?

I haven't even been asked for an interview! :/ hopefully they are still looking at applicants and may still have interviews.

Has anyone been asked for an interview recently?
I applied in November and was just emailed about sending in a missing transcript. I am hoping that means they are still looking at applicants.
I heard back about an interview last week!

I haven't even been asked for an interview! :/ hopefully they are still looking at applicants and may still have interviews.
I still haven't heard about an interview either :/ Whenever I've reached out to Downstate (which has been many times at this point) they just keep saying that my application is in progress. I actually haven't heard about an interview from any school :'(

Hope we at least hear SOME kind of news soon! I'm so tired of waiting.

Crap. Thanks for the info.

Is spelling your concern? I don't know if this is of any help, but from what I remember I did not feel the need to use any complicated language or advanced vocabulary to answer the questions. The article may be different each time, but the language used within the article I read was straight forward and easy to understand. The article just had a lot of information, but not written in a convoluted way.

Crap. Thanks for the info.
I'm not sure about Downstate, but I did an on-site writing sample for an interview at another university, and they're not looking for another GRE essay with any complicated vocab. The writing sample was more about showing that you could read the sample, interpret the information, and re-explain the information without quoting. Focus on making sure that you write your response fully and clearly. Hope that helps!

I'm not sure about Downstate, but I did an on-site writing sample for an interview at another university, and they're not looking for another GRE essay with any complicated vocab. The writing sample was more about showing that you could read the sample, interpret the information, and re-explain the information without quoting. Focus on making sure that you write your response fully and clearly. Hope that helps!
Definitely agree! I think they are looking for your skills in comprehending a lot of information and restating it to make it more succinct / understandable.

Thank you!

Is spelling your concern? I don't know if this is of any help, but from what I remember I did not feel the need to use any complicated language or advanced vocabulary to answer the questions. The article may be different each time, but the language used within the article I read was straight forward and easy to understand. The article just had a lot of information, but not written in a convoluted way.
Thank you!

Just got accepted off the waitlist!!! Good luck everyone else :)

Just got accepted off the waitlist!!! Good luck everyone else :)
Congrats!! Do you mind telling me how long ago you interviewed? My interview is next week and Downstate is my top choice but I was accepted to another program and the deposit is due by March 1st. It won't leave them much time to make a decision :shrug:

Congrats!! Do you mind telling me how long ago you interviewed? My interview is next week and Downstate is my top choice but I was accepted to another program and the deposit is due by March 1st. It won't leave them much time to make a decision :shrug:
Thank you!! Of course! I interviewed January 10th with Richard Sabel and then was put on the waitlist February 2nd. Admissions asked me a specific question to answer about my application to further evaluate my candidacy so I guess they liked my response and ended up accepting me, haha!

Yeah I hate how they don't give you enough time to make a decision :/ this school was also one of my top choices but I'm still waiting to hear from a few others before making my final decision!

I'm sure you're gonna get in! The interview at downstate wasn't that bad - they do ask a lot of questions besides the general why ot stuff but nothing too hard at all! If you have any questions let me know!

Congratulations! I saw from another thread that you got into NYU too. Which school do you think you'll go to?
Thank you! I'm not sure yet haha it's a tough decision because nyu and suny downstate both were my top choices! But I'm definitely going to take some time to think about it in terms of cost and other things as well

Thank you!! Of course! I interviewed January 10th with Richard Sabel and then was put on the waitlist February 2nd. Admissions asked me a specific question to answer about my application to further evaluate my candidacy so I guess they liked my response and ended up accepting me, haha!

Yeah I hate how they don't give you enough time to make a decision :/ this school was also one of my top choices but I'm still waiting to hear from a few others before making my final decision!

I'm sure you're gonna get in! The interview at downstate wasn't that bad - they do ask a lot of questions besides the general why ot stuff but nothing too hard at all! If you have any questions let me know!
It is possible to ask what the kind of thing they wanted to know more about in your application was? If you'd rather not share, no worries, I totally get it!

Congrats! I am going crazy waiting to hear back from anyone.
Thank you! Don't worry I was in the same position as you but keep your faith and positivity up - don't lose hope I'm sure you'll hear some good news soon!

It is possible to ask what the kind of thing they wanted to know more about in your application was? If you'd rather not share, no worries, I totally get it!
Sure, it was a question about one of my volunteer activities that wasn't OT related...something based off my resume they had more interest in/wanted to know more about I guess and told me to expand more about what I did with that activity.

Thank you so much!