Program vs. Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ophthoudini

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, as rank lists are due in less than 3 weeks and seeing how a lot of programs have changed over the past year, I figured we could start a new program comparison thread to get some other viewpoints. Starting out:

Mayo vs Yale:
- Enjoyed both, really liked Yale's new Chair but that could mean a lot of change. Mayo seems pretty well established but I don't know too much how residents fair in terms of fellowship match (other than plastics). Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Thought I'd jump on this...

Kresge vs Colorado vs Wisconsin

I'm interested in retina, so Wisconsin and Kresge seemed to stand out. Location-wise is probably Colorado>Wisc>Kresge. Curious to hear any thoughts. Also heard that Colorado was malignant in the past, but on the interview, residents seemed happy but busy, and it was one of the chillest interviews I had. I wouldn't have called it malignant at all just judging from the interview.

So, as rank lists are due in less than 3 weeks and seeing how a lot of programs have changed over the past year, I figured we could start a new program comparison thread to get some other viewpoints. Starting out:

Mayo vs Yale:
- Enjoyed both, really liked Yale's new Chair but that could mean a lot of change. Mayo seems pretty well established but I don't know too much how residents fair in terms of fellowship match (other than plastics). Thoughts?

I interviewed at both and liked both of them. New Haven >>> Rochester as far as location. I rotated at Mayo and the faculty at Mayo were awesome and most were really friendly. Clinic volume is not very high at Mayo but they get a lot of tertiary referrals so you get to see a lot of interesting cases and more time for teaching during the day. I don't think you can go wrong with either place, as far I know they both match for fellowships well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for making this! I am having some head-to-head issues as well:

UCSF vs Michigan: Both seem like awesome programs. UCSF wins in location (though expense doesn't put it that far ahead of ann arbor in my mind). Both have great academic and clinical opportunities. Michigan has a great surrounding institution for interdisciplinary research, but UCSF isn't hurting there with about half of their residents getting Heed fellowships and Proctor.

Duke vs USC: Obviously, location is very different. Prefer USC there, but Durham isn't bad and without traffic. Both resident cohorts seemed happy on my days. Both had great numbers. Didn't really think the Doheny split was a huge deal as some made it seem on here (great federal funding for USC). Didn't like commuting involved with Duke. LA County seems busy and insane but an awesome clinical experience. Thought the continuity clinic at USC was great too (a real resident clinic - not just pull a chart from a stack). Chair at USC becoming dean so someone new will take over - not sure how much that matters.

Just curious to see what other people's impressions are regarding these programs (I realize they are all great, but unfortunately we can't list ties in the match).

MEEI vs. UCLA vs. Wash U

Obviously all top programs, though Wash U seems to be a little underrated imo as I thought it was really strong. UCLA seemed busy and driving through LA traffic seems like it would suck but amazing surgical numbers and training seems to be top notch all around. Residents seemed fairly happy though maybe the first years were a bit tired. MEEI seems just as busy and great training, not sure if not having a resident run clinic is much of an issue since they do have the eye ER. Wash U seemed to have the happiest residents of the bunch probably because they seemed to have substantially more free time than the other 2 at least during the first year, great fellowship match.

Henry Ford vs Case Western

Both seemed to have pretty good fellowship matches. I think Case Western had better surgical volume but the residents seemed happier at Henry Ford. Detroit vs Cleveland is a toss up in my opinion, neither are anything to write home about but not terrible. Honestly the residents did not seem too happy at Case and I felt like there might be some relationship problems between the residents and faculty there.

Reactions: 1 user
Ended up deciding how to rank them.

Last edited:
If your mentor can't support your choice to go to a program that would help your work life balance to the maximum that's kind of sucky. have you discussed it more with your mentor and mentioned your family starting plans?

Dont rank things totally on the basis of your mentor. You're the one that has to live with the decision. And a good mentor supports you in these decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Stanford Vs. Michigan Vs. UIC: Really liked all 3. Which ones better clinically?

Thanks for making this! I am having some head-to-head issues as well:
Duke vs USC: Obviously, location is very different. Prefer USC there, but Durham isn't bad and without traffic. Both resident cohorts seemed happy on my days. Both had great numbers. Didn't really think the Doheny split was a huge deal as some made it seem on here (great federal funding for USC). Didn't like commuting involved with Duke. LA County seems busy and insane but an awesome clinical experience. Thought the continuity clinic at USC was great too (a real resident clinic - not just pull a chart from a stack). Chair at USC becoming dean so someone new will take over - not sure how much that matters.

Just curious to see what other people's impressions are regarding these programs (I realize they are all great, but unfortunately we can't list ties in the match).
Didn't get interviews at Michigan or UCSF, but went to Duke and USC. I think they're both very strong, and I don't think you'd be limited in anything you'd like to pursue after residency by choosing either. Duke gets the edge surgically, with residents getting 250-300 phacos compared to USCs 180-220, but I give USC the edge clinically with the pathology and autonomy at county. USC seemed very busy, so you have to see if that's right for you. Both have strong research, though time to do more at Duke. I think with very strong programs, geography can make the difference, so west coast vs east coast as well as cost-of-living could be the deciding factor.

MEEI vs. UCLA vs. Wash U

Obviously all top programs, though Wash U seems to be a little underrated imo as I thought it was really strong. UCLA seemed busy and driving through LA traffic seems like it would suck but amazing surgical numbers and training seems to be top notch all around. Residents seemed fairly happy though maybe the first years were a bit tired. MEEI seems just as busy and great training, not sure if not having a resident run clinic is much of an issue since they do have the eye ER. Wash U seemed to have the happiest residents of the bunch probably because they seemed to have substantially more free time than the other 2 at least during the first year, great fellowship match.

Henry Ford vs Case Western

Both seemed to have pretty good fellowship matches. I think Case Western had better surgical volume but the residents seemed happier at Henry Ford. Detroit vs Cleveland is a toss up in my opinion, neither are anything to write home about but not terrible. Honestly the residents did not seem too happy at Case and I felt like there might be some relationship problems between the residents and faculty there.

Toss up as far as Case goes. Several residents I spoke to mentioned this. Others were fine. Just depends who you want to believe I guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cook County vs. Albert Einstein?

Both seemed like solid, clinically oriented programs working with very underserved populations. I thought both programs had really positive cultures, residents seemed happy overall, and both seem to do pretty well in fellowship match. I was wondering if anyone had any experience or insight with these programs that might help with this decision.

I think I have most of my rank list sorted out, but there are a few programs that have ended up clumped together, so I would love any insight other applicants or residents have regarding them. I'm most concerned with best clinical training and fellowship matches. Thank you for any help you can offer! The programs are:
Henry Ford
Louisville
Maryland
West Virginia
Ohio State

Just personal opinion based on fellowship match and reputation.

1) Henry Ford
2) Ohio State
3) WVU
4) Louisville
5) Maryland

Reactions: 2 users
Same as above - a few programs are clumped together in the middle and I'd really appreciate some help in sorting them out. I'm likewise most concerned with clinical training and fellowship match/reputation:
Albany Medical Center
George Washington
Louisville
Northshore LIJ (now Hofstra Northwell)
SUNY at Buffalo
University of Kentucky

Anyone have thoughts on these programs? Definitely interested in fellowship
Cleveland Clinic, Colorado, UIC, UTSW

Confused between these 6:

louisville
Univ of chicago
Loyola
Rutgers
Univ of South Florida
CPMC

Any thoughts will be much appreciated.

Caveat: My own opinion. There is no single correct way to rank programs. Rank them based on what is most important to you--location, reputation, fellowships, research, interview day, gut feeling etc. Good luck!

1) Kentucky
2) GW
3) Louisville
4) Albany
5) Hofstra
6) SUNY Buffalo

Same as above - a few programs are clumped together in the middle and I'd really appreciate some help in sorting them out. I'm likewise most concerned with clinical training and fellowship match/reputation:
Albany Medical Center
George Washington
Louisville
Northshore LIJ (now Hofstra Northwell)
SUNY at Buffalo
University of Kentucky

Caveat: My own opinion. These are all great programs.

1) Cole
2) IEEI
3) UTSW
4) Colorado

Anyone have thoughts on these programs? Definitely interested in fellowship
Cleveland Clinic, Colorado, UIC, UTSW

Caveat: My own opinion.

1) Ohio State
2) Henry Ford
3) Louisville
4) Maryland
5) West Virginia

I think I have most of my rank list sorted out, but there are a few programs that have ended up clumped together, so I would love any insight other applicants or residents have regarding them. I'm most concerned with best clinical training and fellowship matches. Thank you for any help you can offer! The programs are:
Henry Ford
Louisville
Maryland
West Virginia
Ohio State

Caveat: My own opinion.

1) CPMC/Loyola
2) Rutgers
3) Louisville/USF
4) University of Chicago

Confused between these 6:

louisville
Univ of chicago
Loyola
Rutgers
Univ of South Florida
CPMC

Any thoughts will be much appreciated.

Would love to get some opinions on these programs and how to rank them. Most interested in clinical training and fellowship match. Thanks in advance.
1.Yale
2. Maryland
3. Albert Einstein
4. Northshore LIJ

Also looking for advice on how to rank these three. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!
-UT San Antonio
-Albany
-Wake Forest

Also would really appreciate advice! Just curious to know how would you rank these? Mainly want to know about reputation, fellowship match, and surgical experience but also culture (bc of what was written about Case above.. did not get that feel in the interview day so I'm nervous I missed things about other programs during the trail)

Cole
Case
Loyola
Tufts
UMKC
Maryland
Upstate
Einstein
Buffalo

Would love some help thinking this through... Really looking for a good training culture with excellent clinical and surgical training:

Duke v OHSU v UCLA v Stanford

Would love some help thinking this through... Really looking for a good training culture with excellent clinical and surgical training:

Duke v OHSU v UCLA v Stanford

First, congrats on visiting such solid programs. Having so many options is great come Match Day. Personally, I would go
1. Duke
2. UCLA
3. OHSU
4. Stanford

LA is a better location than Durham, so that could sway one way versus another. I did not visit Duke, but I heard great things about it this year. Can't go wrong with UCLA, seems like if you interviewed there, have a good chance of matching there.

Also looking for advice on how to rank these three. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!
-UT San Antonio
-Albany
-Wake Forest

cant comment on albany, but wake > UT san antonio based on my interview experience last year

Thanks for everyone already offering opinions! Looking at these programs with Fellowship match/job prospects and reputation being the priority:

Louisville
Georgetown
Kentucky
Kansas
USF

Also would really appreciate advice! Just curious to know how would you rank these? Mainly want to know about reputation, fellowship match, and surgical experience but also culture (bc of what was written about Case above.. did not get that feel in the interview day so I'm nervous I missed things about other programs during the trail)

Cole
Case
Loyola
Tufts
UMKC
Maryland
Upstate
Einstein
Buffalo

Anybody have any thoughts or experience with these programs?

This thread is mildly insane. You guys interviewed at these programs. You all have your own desires and priorities.

If you want advice for how to rank programs, in no particular order you should evaluate the following based on how important these things are to you:

1) cataract numbers
2) location - ie: someone many tell you to rank Jules Stein over duke but you may hate or love the idea of living in Cali vs NC
3) exposure to each subspecialty
4) call - how is it divided - front loaded or not - volume
5) academia? Are faculty doing research actively? Is there good teaching?
6) is there a research requirement ? Is there support to meet this requirement?
7) does the program have money? Do they provide lenses vs bcsc vs money for meetings?
8) do you have elective time?
9) how is the fellowship match?
10) are faculty well known? Do their lettters carry weight?
11) didactics?

Those are just some of the things you can use to rank programs.

Best of luck.

Reactions: 4 users
This thread is mildly insane. You guys interviewed at these programs. You all have your own desires and priorities.

If you want advice for how to rank programs, in no particular order you should evaluate the following based on how important these things are to you:

1) cataract numbers
2) location - ie: someone many tell you to rank Jules Stein over duke but you may hate or love the idea of living in Cali vs NC
3) exposure to each subspecialty
4) call - how is it divided - front loaded or not - volume
5) academia? Are faculty doing research actively? Is there good teaching?
6) is there a research requirement ? Is there support to meet this requirement?
7) does the program have money? Do they provide lenses vs bcsc vs money for meetings?
8) do you have elective time?
9) how is the fellowship match?
10) are faculty well known? Do their lettters carry weight?
11) didactics?

Those are just some of the things you can use to rank programs.

Best of luck.

Zeke, I couldn't agree more with your suggestions on things to look for. Also really appreciate all of your input on SDN.

However, I'll play devils advocate for the helpfulness of this thread. In certain circumstances applicants are only at a program for less than 24 hours. And while we attempt to evaluate all those aspects which you mentioned, sometimes we need to rely on people more familiar with the program.

With that being said, a thread named program vs program has become rank my entire list. If anyone could please comment on the culture at UC-SD and compare it to the surgical experience at OHSU I'd be very appreciative. Thanks to everyone providing advice on here.

Zeke, I couldn't agree more with your suggestions on things to look for. Also really appreciate all of your input on SDN.

However, I'll play devils advocate for the helpfulness of this thread. In certain circumstances applicants are only at a program for less than 24 hours. And while we attempt to evaluate all those aspects which you mentioned, sometimes we need to rely on people more familiar with the program.

With that being said, a thread named program vs program has become rank my entire list. If anyone could please comment on the culture at UC-SD and compare it to the surgical experience at OHSU I'd be very appreciative. Thanks to everyone providing advice on here.

I appreciate your comments and offering a counter argument.

I know that's where people are coming from and I understand that 24 hours isn't a long time. I just want people to remember that this a personal decision and while other people's opinions can be helpful it's very important to consider your own needs in ranking a program. It's best to ask specifics about programs or try to find out reasons why people are telling you to drop a program lower than you might expect.

Have to agree with Zeke. Only you really know what you are looking for in a program. Asking strangers to make your rank list for you seems just a little asinine. I mean really, comparing Duke vs. UCLA? Both are top notch programs - do you want to be in LA or Durham, North Carolina? This is the real question here. It's threads like this that give medical students a reputation for being slightly neurotic and type A. Now don't get all offended - I was the same way I'm sure.

I agree with Zeke and Iladelphia.

Also a big part of what you learn and how good of an ophthalmologist you'll be depends solely on how hard you work. You could go to the best program in the country and if you're not putting 100% effort in you won't come out better than someone who is works at a small program and goes home and reads every night. As long as you have a good number of patients with good pathology, and good surgical exposure the next important thing is being somewhere that will make you happy.

Duke vs UCLA? Come on, they're both renowned. I don't care what 100 SDNers think, I would be going to the place that is closer to home and has more golf courses.

Having a really hard time ranking these. Location is not an issue for me and I felt like I could get along with people at all three. I know people have posted on here that its crazy to ask strangers etc., but I would really appreciate any input (knowing that ultimately I will be the one deciding).
UW Madison
UK Lexington
Mizzou

Heyo! should change the settings to their account to allow private messages. Otherwise, Heyo! could be missing out on private comments.

Heyo! should change the settings to their account to allow private messages. Otherwise, Heyo! could be missing out on private comments.

Sorry, I had no clue that private messages were disabled. Should work now, thanks!