Program Vs. School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Citrinne

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I thought that I was completely set on attending Brown this fall. However, yesterday I got into Yale. I loved Brown's program and have not visited Yale's ( I live in Seattle and a visit is impossible at this point). Most everything I have read on here is very hard on Yale, and I do think that Brown is a better fit. My only concern is Job prospects. I guess my questions are as follows.

1: Does a program vs. a School of public health matter in regards to future job opportunities?
2: Will a general MPH degree ( as a program Brown does not have tracks) provided me with the same opportunities as a epi track degree? If I go to Brown, I will be centering electives around Epi and international health.

I do plan to eventually puruse a DrPH, but that may not be for a few years after grad. school. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I understand your double-mindedness perfectly. See my post here:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6354250&postcount=330

I think a lot of different factors go into choosing the right program, but most critical is to decide what is best suited for YOU. And its not as easy as it seems, is it? There's always that niggling feeling of what others think... but regardless, you have to choose the program that serves your current need. The Yale program is much older and far more well-established, but who's to say you won't be happy at Brown? If youre planning on doing a phd afterwards, I would get opinions from those schools you plan to do the doctrate at as to what their opinion is on these program, especially the Brown one since its relatively very new.

Both Yale and Brown have the ivy league doodah going for them - however, this matters little in public health, especially if youre going into research.

I hope I haven't confused you more... :laugh:

I don't think a program vs. school of public health would matter that much in terms of employment opportunities. That said, I'd imagine that there would be more opportunities in terms of career services, guest speakers, research, etc at a school of public health. The program at Brown seems to be well respected with close ties to the medical school though, so similar opportunities may exist.

As far as your second question, personally I don't like the idea of not being able to specialize. That is one plus for the Yale program, in that you would be able to focus not only on epidemiology but on infectious or chronic disease depending on your specific interests. I did work with an epidemiologist who attended a general program though and he was one of the most knowledgeable people in the dept, so as long as you have adequate training in epi it should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both so much. I think that I will stick with Brown. I may have to work harder to pick classes to ensure that I have all the nessesary skills but I got a good feeling from the Brown program so I will stick with it!

Thanks. Your thoughts have been very helpful in getting my head straight!

Thank you both so much. I think that I will stick with Brown. I may have to work harder to pick classes to ensure that I have all the nessesary skills but I got a good feeling from the Brown program so I will stick with it!

Thanks. Your thoughts have been very helpful in getting my head straight!
Would you tell us more why you like the program in Brown?

I am far away from rhode island so I cannot visit there by myself before July.