Program with fellowship vs not

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yunsenb

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
1.How important is choosing a residency program with in house fellowship vs a "better-fit" program that does not have a sports fellowship program already if the ultimate goal is to end up in fellowship?

2. If a program does not have a fellowship, what are good signs that they're sports experience will be useful? (Other than having a sports pathway)

Members don't see this ad.

1.How important is choosing a residency program with in house fellowship vs a "better-fit" program that does not have a sports fellowship program already if the ultimate goal is to end up in fellowship?

2. If a program does not have a fellowship, what are good signs that they're sports experience will be useful? (Other than having a sports pathway)

Pick a program you like best and feel you will be happy for your training time (I'm assuming 3-4 years?). Not having a fellowship in house is not a deal breaker.

The caveat is that the program should have some available opportunity for sports/event coverage or a partner program/place in the city you can get an elective. Sports/event coverage is basically a requirement (like rotation in your desired specialty while in med school) for a serious application. If you are thinking heavily about going into sports I would be up front about asking about these things as you interview.

Pick a program you like best and feel you will be happy for your training time (I'm assuming 3-4 years?). Not having a fellowship in house is not a deal breaker.

The caveat is that the program should have some available opportunity for sports/event coverage or a partner program/place in the city you can get an elective. Sports/event coverage is basically a requirement (like rotation in your desired specialty while in med school) for a serious application. If you are thinking heavily about going into sports I would be up front about asking about these things as you interview.

Thanks for your reply! I noticed some programs don't seem to mention football coverage on their website and this is probably my top interest in coverage, if they ultimately don't offer the specific sport you may want to cover is it a negative?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your reply! I noticed some programs don't seem to mention football coverage on their website and this is probably my top interest in coverage, if they ultimately don't offer the specific sport you may want to cover is it a negative?

I'm at an institution that does not have a fellowship and am currently applying to SM. I chose my program because it was the one that checked off all of my boxes. Important things to me were getting solid FM training from knowledgeable faculty, adequate support from mentors, and flexibility to get SM experience.

Throughout residency, I covered events here and there but certainly not as many as my peers who are also applying. However, I did tailor my experience to include as many extra curricular sports-related activities as possible (projects, research, lectures, etc).

I've been fortunate enough to receive several interviews, most of which I plan on accepting. What was most helpful for me was having a few people who went through the program and matched in SM to help guide me through. They knew the right people to talk to who could get me involved when possible. At the same time, there has never been pressure to be the main doc for a team since we don't have a fellowship or specific teams we cover.

Is my application the strongest? No. I've received multiple rejections from elite programs, as expected. However, the interviews I've received are from strong programs that I would feel lucky to be a part of.

In the end, I love my residency program and would not have changed my experience for anything - even if I would have been a shoe-in for a fellowhip spot at another place.

You may find this helpful: For Students

Ultimately, there is no correct answer. It's probably a tactical advantage to be at a program that has a fellowship, but certainly not a requirement. It's more important, in my opinion as someone who has done residency, SM fellowship and is an attending that you find a residency program you like first. You need to be a happy resident first, and you can worry about SM after you've accomplished that goal.

As for FB coverage, if the website doesn't say it, you should email the program and ask them directly.

I'm at an institution that does not have a fellowship and am currently applying to SM. I chose my program because it was the one that checked off all of my boxes. Important things to me were getting solid FM training from knowledgeable faculty, adequate support from mentors, and flexibility to get SM experience.

Throughout residency, I covered events here and there but certainly not as many as my peers who are also applying. However, I did tailor my experience to include as many extra curricular sports-related activities as possible (projects, research, lectures, etc).

I've been fortunate enough to receive several interviews, most of which I plan on accepting. What was most helpful for me was having a few people who went through the program and matched in SM to help guide me through. They knew the right people to talk to who could get me involved when possible. At the same time, there has never been pressure to be the main doc for a team since we don't have a fellowship or specific teams we cover.

Is my application the strongest? No. I've received multiple rejections from elite programs, as expected. However, the interviews I've received are from strong programs that I would feel lucky to be a part of.

In the end, I love my residency program and would not have changed my experience for anything - even if I would have been a shoe-in for a fellowhip spot at another place.

Thank you, this is really helpful and good luck in the process!!

You may find this helpful: For Students

Ultimately, there is no correct answer. It's probably a tactical advantage to be at a program that has a fellowship, but certainly not a requirement. It's more important, in my opinion as someone who has done residency, SM fellowship and is an attending that you find a residency program you like first. You need to be a happy resident first, and you can worry about SM after you've accomplished that goal.

As for FB coverage, if the website doesn't say it, you should email the program and ask them directly.

Thank you for the link and the advice, I think I'll focus more on the right FM program first and then sports once I'm there