Programmes in New York City

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Messerschmitts

Mythic Dawn acolyte
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so if you could apply to only 4 psychiatry programmes in the greater NYC area, which would your recommendations be? There are too many programmes there and I don't know one from the other. Keep in mind, I am not a very competitive applicant on one hand, but on the other hand I don't have a burning desire to go to a bottom-of-the-barrel programme just to be in NYC (there's other parts of the country I'd much rather go), so I am looking for some middle-of-the-road programmes if possible. Thank you for your recommendations!

Members don't see this ad.

Why don't you just apply now to all of them you could possibly imagine yourself wanting to go to, see how the interviews fall, and go from there?

Most places don't interview you unless you have at least some chance of matching there.

It's much easier to pare down your list as interviews come in. I applied to something like 27 programs and wound up turning down about 16 interviews. If done politely and with plenty of notice (several weeks), there's nothing wrong with doing that.

Why don't you just apply now to all of them you could possibly imagine yourself wanting to go to, see how the interviews fall, and go from there?

Most places don't interview you unless you have at least some chance of matching there.

It's much easier to pare down your list as interviews come in. I applied to something like 27 programs and wound up turning down about 16 interviews. If done politely and with plenty of notice (several weeks), there's nothing wrong with doing that.

Well, the problem is that I'm already applying to 31 programmes. I don't want to go over 35 for financial and practical reasons. I have applied widely to the western half of the US, and I wanted maybe 4 more NYC programmes to round out my application.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Cornell
2. Columbia
3. NYU
4. Mt Sinai

In whatever order.

Those are 4 of the most competitive programs in the country.

Those are 4 of the most competitive programs in the country.

Ha, yes they are.

The only differences in terms of competitiveness:
- columbia is most competitive of all.
- cornell is competitive, but self-selecting as they look for psychoanalysis types.
- NYU is competitive, but pretty large and therefore relatively easier to match into - if they think you can handle the work.
- mount sinai is competitive and smaller than NYU, based on the environment/Dr Reider, a lot of people want to go there.

bottom line, you have to be a great applicant to match into any of them. but in psych, you don't have to come from one of the top five med schools in the country to do that. good luck to all!

How about some not-so-competitive, middle-of-the-road ones then? Pretty please? :p

I would say these are not as competitive but still solid programs in the NYC area:

1) Albert Einstein/Montefiore (Bronx)

2) St. Vincent's/NYMC

3) Albert Einstein/Beth Israel

4) Albert Einstein/Long Island Jewish

Ha, yes they are.

The only differences in terms of competitiveness:
- columbia is most competitive of all.
- cornell is competitive, but self-selecting as they look for psychoanalysis types.
- NYU is competitive, but pretty large and therefore relatively easier to match into - if they think you can handle the work.
- mount sinai is competitive and smaller than NYU, based on the environment/Dr Reider, a lot of people want to go there.

bottom line, you have to be a great applicant to match into any of them. but in psych, you don't have to come from one of the top five med schools in the country to do that. good luck to all!

Those 4 places are looking for essentially the same sorts of applicants. No top program is looking for psychoanalysts (though all 4 of those programs would look skeptically at anyone who doesn't view people as having dynamics and an unconscious). 3 of the 4 do have an official link to a psychoanalytic institute (NYU with NYU, Columbia with Columbia, Sinai with New York), and the supposedly most analytic place (Cornell) has no such official link (though a 2 or 3 grads per year do tend to eventually get analytic training, usually at Columbia). None of those 4 places is looking for students who are overtly competitive as in small minded or unpleasant. In regards to which is the hardest to get in, it's a bit of a crapshoot since no top place gets all of its top picks...

oh, and if you're applying in the U.S., you should probably spell it program not programme.

Those 4 places are looking for essentially the same sorts of applicants. No top program is looking for psychoanalysts (though all 4 of those programs would look skeptically at anyone who doesn't view people as having dynamics and an unconscious). 3 of the 4 do have an official link to a psychoanalytic institute (NYU with NYU, Columbia with Columbia, Sinai with New York), and the supposedly most analytic place (Cornell) has no such official link (though a 2 or 3 grads per year do tend to eventually get analytic training, usually at Columbia). None of those 4 places is looking for students who are overtly competitive as in small minded or unpleasant. In regards to which is the hardest to get in, it's a bit of a crapshoot since no top place gets all of its top picks...

do top places actually ask such thanks(like in depth questions about biological vs analytical and such?).......

Because honestly.....a 4th year med student has done a psych rotation and maybe a psych elective or two. He/she doesnt know enough to answer such a question.......

Honestly, the sort of med student that winds up matching at a place like Columbia is the sort of med student who has sought out the sort of experiences that would allow them to understand the nuances of various perspectives in psychiatry well outside the experience of a few rotations.

You should have a strong, well-developed opinion about EVERYTHING, even if that's not the same strong, well-developed opinion you'll have two years from now ;)