programs in Arizona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amp123

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about the two programs in AZ-- U AZ & St. Joseph's Hospital?

How would you rate them? Would you consider them medium tier programs or upper medium tier programs or......?

Any information is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a 4th year at UA and did a PSF in pathology there. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to get a sense of what "tier" the program is in.

I really enjoyed the year, but having little to compare it to can only give the absolute positives. I think the program has very strong one-on-one teaching during all rotations and wouldn't require lots of self motivated learning to get a good experience.

Is there anything specific you want to know? I did rotations in Surg path and in autopsy and just did an elective in Heme path there. I can't tell you about the call schedule because we didn't have to take call, but otherwise I don't think much has changed since I did my PSF.

Right now I am at UC Irvine doing a Surg path rotation and I can't say that there are extreme differences, except at UCI they are seeing a lot more derm in morning unknown slide conferences because they have a derm path fellow. But, I think they just added one or more derm path electives with Tucson dermatopathologists to the UA curriculum.

Let me know what kind of stuff you are interested in knowing about the program or Tucson. I have lived there for almost 9 years now. If you apply and get an interview and I am in town I would also be happy to show you around in addition to the tour they give you.

I don't know anything about U of A because I would rather die than live in Tucson, but I am all about St. Joe's. I did 4 weeks there recently and if it wasn't for the program director trying to be a good doobie and only work inside the Match, I would know for 100% that I'm going there as opposed to the 98% I feel now. :D

St. Joe's is extremely informal and extremely unstructured. I think it's so out there, it would be a love-it or hate-it thing for anybody. It's not for the academic types or those who are into research (unless you have a neuro fetish, thanks to Barrow's). It's straight up community pathology.

I don't think it's considered a prestigious program in the least. Thankfully, I could care less. I just bought a condo behind the employee parking garage there and am looking forward to walking to work every day and working with some of the most crazy and hilarious people I've met in ages. And when they get the sake bombers started -- watch out.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do St. Joe's graduates do after residency? Still the same old concern about jobs after residency.

I contacted St. Joseph's and was informed that they require a minimum Step I score of 80. I was planning to apply there but won't be now. Boo-hoo.

Crepitus Fremitus said:
I think I just heard a big "Aw, shucks" from every other program in the nation! Certainly those represented on this Board.

Congrats and best of luck.

Ha ha. I doubt it. No other program wants my squirrelly ass anyway. (Unless, of course, you're being wickedly sarcastic, in which case you're right on.)

As for Step 1 scores -- I thought St. Joe's minimum was 200. Isn't about 170 or 180 passing?

(And isn't it funny how Step 1 was the biggest most overwhelming thing in my life this time last year, and now I can't even remember how it's scored. Shee-it! :rolleyes: )

amp123 said:
How do St. Joe's graduates do after residency? Still the same old concern about jobs after residency.

I don't have any idea. Nor, frankly, am I concerned. There's a small local group of pathologists I know who are planning to retire, conveniently, about the time I'm done w/ residency... and would like to pass the baton, if you will. Don't think I didn't just about piddle my pants when this idea was waved under my nose tantalizingly.

I think 182 is passing. The two-digit 80 is roughly equivalent to a three-digit 200.

Why oh WHY did I get a 188??