Programs in NYC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hiltonty997

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not from the area and was wondering if there was a general consensus as to the top programs in New York?

And also how they stack up against other top programs in the country.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am not from the area and was wondering if there was a general consensus as to the top programs in New York?

And also how they stack up against other top programs in the country.

Thanks!

Meh. Wrote a response then deleted it.

Use the search function.

For the top 5:

NYU > Cornell > Columbia ~ Sinai ~ Einstein

Also, check out matchapplicants. It has a lot of good information from people who have interviewed or matched at various programs around the country before.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, check out matchapplicants. It has a lot of good information from people who have interviewed or matched at various programs around the country before.

Meh. Very incomplete.

Aunt Minnie is the better reference. Beware of trolls.

i think NYU is def the top one... after that is questionable.. Cornell is up there, but the residents are.. a little too chill there. Columbia I heard had a spot go unfilled possibly? MOntefiore is a nice program except for location but most residents seem to live on the UES. SLR seems like a nice program and they have pretty sweet housing (cornell too). Mt sinai i feel like i know nothing about that program and that seems to be what others tell me when i ask lol.

i think NYU is def the top one... after that is questionable.. Cornell is up there, but the residents are.. a little too chill there. Columbia I heard had a spot go unfilled possibly? MOntefiore is a nice program except for location but most residents seem to live on the UES. SLR seems like a nice program and they have pretty sweet housing (cornell too). Mt sinai i feel like i know nothing about that program and that seems to be what others tell me when i ask lol.

This is pretty much accurate.

NYU and Cornell residency programs are above the rest in NYC (and NYU above Cornell). Cornell has a bit of a reputation for treating residents like med students and fellows like residents but is a great place to learn and work.

Sinai has great neuro and IR departments - arguably the best fellowships in the city in those departments (yes, above NYU and Cornell).

Columbia is a good program, but unlike the med school and the IM residency, the radiology program doesn't quite live up to the name (but is still good).

Montefiore used to have a much stronger reputation (think when it was merged with Jacobi maybe?) but is still solid, just in the Bronx.

SLR is a great community program (I might argue the best along with Beth Israel) in NYC.

NSLIJ used to be the best community program (albeit in Long Island), and still probably would be although it's now technically academic (new med school).

I'd avoid Downstate (having financial issues) and maybe NYMC (they have 20-40 rad applicants from their school per year and still scrambled last year - smells fishy).

Honorable mentions to Winthrop and Staten Island university.

Raspberries to Harlem, Nassau, Richmond Staten Island.

EDIT: Fixed the Cornell comment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Montefiore medical school now Albert Einstein? I haven't heard of Montefiore elsewhere...

Is Montefiore medical school now Albert Einstein? I haven't heard of Montefiore elsewhere...

It's a bit confusing.

Albert Einstein is the medical school.

The primary hospital for Albert Einstein College of Medicine is Montefiore. (There is no Albert Einstein hospital in NY - there is one in PA which makes things even more confusing.)

Albert Einstein also has affiliations with Jacobi (HHC), Beth Israel (Continuum), and previously Long Island Jewish Hospital (now has it's own med school with North Shore).

So if you're looking at these programs they will often say things like:

AECOM-Montefiore
AECOM-Jacobi (separate for radiology, merged with Montefiore for many other specialties)
AECOM-Beth Israel

If you were trying to figure out which one of these the actual official program of Albert Einstein College of Medicine though, it's Montefiore.

Columbia is a good program, but unlike the med school and the IM residency, the radiology program doesn't quite live up to the name (but is still good).
Not sure why people are so down on Columbia on SDN and AM. I interviewed there and was surprised by how much I liked the program. They really touted Peds and Neuro as their biggest strengths (makes sense with Morgan Stanley and NY Neuro Institute), which I guess makes you wonder a little about the rest of the experience…and may explain their rep as Cornell and NYU (disclaimer: haven't interviewed at either of these places yet) seem to have a rep for being stronger all-around. But, honestly, I was still impressed with what the residents had to say about their training. Plus, the new chair has really made some big changes for the better in the past 4 or so years, their facilities are almost all either recently updated or in the process and their actively shopping for a vendor to take a huge contract and replace a significant proportion of their equipment.

So…to me, it seems like good things are happening at Columbia, despite it not having the reputation of other NYC programs. I'll let you know how my visit to NYU changes that perspective.

I only interviewed at Cornell and loved it. Actually ranked it number 1 but knew it was a moonshot for me. I never even considered myself a huge city person. The benefits and moonlighting opportunities provided made NYC living seem reasonably doable without living like I did during undergrad.