Programs require step II?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

50mints

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, new member here. I've heard some rumblings that some programs require Step II CK scores (before ranking). Is this so and if so which programs specifically?

I did do a search and found some threads on this topic but they were 3 years old and seemed to suggest the situation was in flux.

I'm leaning toward taking step II at the end of January, but I'll be applying broadly and don't want to accidentally sabotage myself. Any info greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi folks, new member here. I've heard some rumblings that some programs require Step II CK scores (before ranking). Is this so and if so which programs specifically?

I did do a search and found some threads on this topic but they were 3 years old and seemed to suggest the situation was in flux.

I'm leaning toward taking step II at the end of January, but I'll be applying broadly and don't want to accidentally sabotage myself. Any info greatly appreciated.

UCSF requires it

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not sure about required, but these programs requested them if they were available.
Indiana
Louisville

Progams that did not ask for step 2 scores
MCW
UW (wisconsin)
Christ (chicago)
Resurrection (chicago)
Mayo
Regions (st paul)
HCMC
Vanderbilt
New Mexico
OSU
MetroHealth

Beware: This info is from my personal experience and I had a very good step 1 score and an overall good app (so I don't know if this affected who asked for my step 2 score).

More and more programs are going to this. It is not the score, its showing that you pass. At UCSF it is required that Step II has been passed prior to the program submitting rank list. This is being mandated by the institution. More and more institutions will be implimenting this as it causes serious problems when someone doesn't pass it.