programs that heavily favor rotators

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jackets5

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone have an idea of which programs heavily favor people whjo have rotated at their program

Members don't see this ad.

All of them.

That's probably only true to a limited extent. From my experience (an MS4 hoping to match) the programs that "favor" rotators are the ones that seek a lot of resident input when making their rank list.

At most programs, the residents have at least some say, but at more academic centers where attendings need to "stack the deck", it may be based more on your med school, your board scores, etc than whether you worked hard on rotation.

I can't speak yet for myself, but a buddy of mine who graduated two years ahead of me (from a relatively unknown small, private school in the SE) attempted to enter a specialty of similar competitiveness as ortho. He had Step 1=249, Step 2=269 and was AOA. He rotated at UVA and Vandy and didn't even get invited to interview! Luckily he matched, but that just goes to show that at some places, rotating doesn't even get you an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just about can't get an interview at Georgetown or Northwestern unless you their student or a rotator.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Good advice so far. Some places it won't help at all but some places you almost don't have a shot without rotating. Jackson, MS comes to mind.

I can't speak yet for myself, but a buddy of mine who graduated two years ahead of me (from a relatively unknown small, private school in the SE) attempted to enter a specialty of similar competitiveness as ortho. He had Step 1=249, Step 2=269 and was AOA. He rotated at UVA and Vandy and didn't even get invited to interview! Luckily he matched, but that just goes to show that at some places, rotating doesn't even get you an interview.

Sometimes doing an away rotation can harm you. Especially if you are a liar, lazy, tool, or other type of person that just doesn't match with the "personality of the program."

I doubt his credentials weren't the reason he didn't get an interview.

Exactly. The general adage applies: If you look better on paper than in person then don't rotate. However if you are that bad in person your LORS may show that.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Sometimes doing an away rotation can harm you. Especially if you are a liar, lazy, tool, or other type of person that just doesn't match with the "personality of the program."

I doubt his credentials weren't the reason he didn't get an interview.

I'm sure that's true...it likely has to do with those particular programs not only wanting the best applicants but also wanting applicants from the "best" med schools. Programs know applicants browse their websites looking at the schools residents come from. They don't want too many residents from relatively unknown schools.

My friend was not a liar, lazy, or a tool. If he "didn't fit" it was only because he's not a drinker so probably didn't go bar hopping on his off nights.

I'm sure that's true...it likely has to do with those particular programs not only wanting the best applicants but also wanting applicants from the "best" med schools. Programs know applicants browse their websites looking at the schools residents come from. They don't want too many residents from relatively unknown schools.

My friend was not a liar, lazy, or a tool. If he "didn't fit" it was only because he's not a drinker so probably didn't go bar hopping on his off nights.

I'm actually worried about this, not just for ortho but any away. I'm not a drinker, and I feel like its possible to get a bad rep from the residents if you go out and don't drink. Wth do we do lol!

I'm actually worried about this, not just for ortho but any away. I'm not a drinker, and I feel like its possible to get a bad rep from the residents if you go out and don't drink. Wth do we do lol!

I don't think it necessarily will hurt you. One of the places I rotated at was in a city where I have several family members that I wanted to spend time with when I was free. I went out to eat with residents several times and a couple happy hours I guess but I wasn't out all late at night partying with them.

Ya these are things I've been wondering too. I was thinking of rotating 2 different months at one program. but I only get 3 electives. It's kind of like putting all my eggs in one basket. What is everybody else doing? It seems like spending 2 months at a program would really put you ahead of the others....

Ya these are things I've been wondering too. I was thinking of rotating 2 different months at one program. but I only get 3 electives. It's kind of like putting all my eggs in one basket. What is everybody else doing? It seems like spending 2 months at a program would really put you ahead of the others....

1 month is sufficient.

I'm Adventist so don't drink, smoke, etc. I went on multiple outings to bars during away rotations and multiple post interview dinners which were mostly at bars and never had an issue. As long as you have something in your hand to drink (root beer, pink lemonade, ginger ale) you will not stick out. The purpose of those post interview outings is to get to know you, not to see what you are drinking. Be yourself and I think you should have no problems.