programs that pay you to become an RN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crispielee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, i'm interested in programs that will pay for my education to become an RN. i've heard people mentioning them (and on NPR), but i'm not sure how to search for them. do you happen to know of any? could you provide me with some links?

it's very difficult for me financially, i'm very young w/out savings or anything (recent college graduate = DEBT), so i'm guessing that going to a program that pays me is the best bet, although my dream school is UCSF :)

or, would you recommend just going into debt and going to the best nursing school possible? i would prefer an accelerated program as well (i.e. mount saint mary, Johns Hopkins, San Diego State)

i'm a lost soul... i'm even thinking of just leaving the country for a year to become even more lost :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

crispielee said:
hi, i'm interested in programs that will pay for my education to become an RN. i've heard people mentioning them (and on NPR), but i'm not sure how to search for them. do you happen to know of any? could you provide me with some links?

it's very difficult for me financially, i'm very young w/out savings or anything (recent college graduate = DEBT), so i'm guessing that going to a program that pays me is the best bet, although my dream school is UCSF :)

or, would you recommend just going into debt and going to the best nursing school possible? i would prefer an accelerated program as well (i.e. mount saint mary, Johns Hopkins, San Diego State)

i'm a lost soul... i'm even thinking of just leaving the country for a year to become even more lost :eek:

If you already have a bachelor's degree, also consider PA school. It's usually a two year entry-level master's program, however, you will need pre-req's such as chem, biochem, bio, maybe organic...... You should also have some paid or volunteer experience in healthcare. PA's make a lot more money (75k-ish) and have a lot more autonomy as they perform many of the roles of physicians. Whatever my suggestion is worth, at least consider all your options before entering nursing PA,PT,OT.... Remember, nursing will take you 2+ years to complete as well. Being the lost soul that you claim to be, it really doesn't sound like your mind is made up about nursing yet.
:confused:

lawguil said:
If you already have a bachelor's degree, also consider PA school. It's usually a two year entry-level master's program, however, you will need pre-req's such as chem, biochem, bio, maybe organic...... You should also have some paid or volunteer experience in healthcare. PA's make a lot more money (75k-ish) and have a lot more autonomy as they perform many of the roles of physicians. Whatever my suggestion is worth, at least consider all your options before entering nursing PA,PT,OT.... Remember, nursing will take you 2+ years to complete as well. Being the lost soul that you claim to be, it really doesn't sound like your mind is made up about nursing yet.
:confused:

yeah, i've considered PA school... well, my main goal is to be able to administer healthcare (particularly in pediatrics), because i'm going to go abroad... i thought the best way would be to become an NP. when i practice in the states, i would have more autonomy than an RN, and when i go abroad, i will be equipped with more of a holistic approach to healthcare. i'm still doing my research, so i would really appreciate people's input.