Programs with the Short Coat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
sorry for starting such a long discussion on here...but to be honest, there is good reason for this...often programs with short coats are often considered more malignant...whether or not that is true I don;t know...but often the short coat is used to delineate between levels of people...maybe this isnt true in places where everyoen wears short coats...but still...anyway...its an interesting discussion, no one has to comment on how stupid it is...if you don't like it...simply dont read or reply...cheers to everyone on the trail...hope to run into y'all...

J

Members don't see this ad.

I've noticed that some patients seem to feel more relaxed when we DON'T wear white coats. On the other hand, maybe other people feel like they're not seeing a real doctor. In a clinic, it doesn't really matter because chances are the entire staff knows each other, and the patients are generally clear about who the nurse is and who the doctor is.

In a hospital setting however, no one knows who the hell anyone else is... like someone pointed out, everyone from the social workers to the cheif of medicine wears a long white coat (except students at my institution). Patients can't read the tiny lettering on the nametags, and often the embroidery on the coats is hidden behind a stethescope. By the end of the day they think 10 different doctors have come to see them and have no clue who they all were. By the time a given patient, intern or resident learns everyone's role, they're discharged or move to a different rotation. As a result, everyone has to surrepticiously (sp) try to glance at someone's chest or nametag to catch it right so we can figure out who the heck we're addressing.

So, here is Fang's Plan to Reduce Hospital Confusion:

1. MS3's -- short coat with obvious red nametag
2. MS4's -- short coat with obvious green nametag
3. Intern-- short coat with green embroidered letters
4. R2 and R3 -- long coat with green embroidered letters
5. Attending -- long coat with blue embroidered letters

All the other professionals (nurses, PA's, physical therapists, social workers, phlebotomosts, nutritionists....) can come up with their own uniform if they want to but it can't be confused with the above.

A lot of hospitals in my area are doing this already. The U is apparently planning to move to standardized scrub colors for nurses and support staff as well for the same reason.

MS3's should be dressed entirely in caution tape. :p