project ideas for students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NAGNAM

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
My school's radiology interest group is nominating new positions in the next week or so and I'm gonna run for president. In order to garner votes, I'm going to mention (and actually follow through with) some ideas I have regarding reviews for the lower classes before step 1, and I've made some decent connections around the area for shadowing/LOR/research that I can help them with.

Do you guys have any other ideas that might be helpful for them? I've had some ideas for community service (some kind of mammogram awareness during breast CA awareness month in Oct). Any other ideas you think I could throw around?

thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe this is too obvious, but you should have the the Program Directors or residents of any nearby programs come and give lectures to the interest group over lunch. They could talk about the field and strategies to strengthen your applications for residency.

Definitely not too obvious and I appreciate the thoughts. I was planning on having a panel of some of the various people I've shadowed (general diagnostics, neurorads, IR, peds rads) to tell everyone about their jobs, how they differ from each other, etc.

I think part of what I am going for is due in part to watching what my old lady is going through for trying to match in derm-- tons of various projects ranging from research to shadowing to educating patients/high schools, walks for foundations, etc. I feel like my CV definitely lacks in regards to these types of things, and while I'll get a little boost just from saddling alongside her, it doesn't have any radiology focus. However, radio is one of the few fields that doesn't have a lot of opportunities like this, and I'm either not creative enough or not well connected enough to come up with any interesting extracurriculars for radio-oriented students to get involved in.