Projected Hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LeaveNoTrace

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been unable to complete projected hours for a few volunteering activities due to a job change and some family issues that have come up. For one activity, I'd projected 300 hours and completed 130; for another, I'd projected 130 and completed 50. Will this potentially cause my acceptance to be rescinded - or cause me to be booted out of medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

I have been unable to complete projected hours for a few volunteering activities due to a job change and some family issues that have come up. For one activity, a) I'd projected 300 hours and completed 130; for another, b) I'd projected 130 and completed 50. Will this potentially cause my acceptance to be rescinded - or cause me to be booted out of medical school?
What were the categories of those two activities (from the pull-down menu)?
How many already completed hours did you have prior to the projections, at the time you applied?
Did you distinguish between completed hours and projected hours on your Primary application?

a) was clinical volunteering (ambulance corps) and I'd completed 400 prior to application time. I'd distinguished completed and projected hours.

b) was nonclinical volunteering (Habitat for Humanity) and I'd completed 60 prior to application time. Again, I'd distinguished completed and projected hours.

I'd like to ask any other adcoms here like @LizzyM if this could see me booted out of medical school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@Goro, @LizzyM, @gyngyn, @gonnif, @Faha: ECs are very important for medical schools; integrity is even more important. We could be looking at a guy getting his dream snatched away from him due to this lack of integrity, no?

• Angry
Reactions: 1 user
a) was clinical volunteering (ambulance corps) and I'd completed 400 prior to application time. I'd distinguished completed and projected hours.

b) was nonclinical volunteering (Habitat for Humanity) and I'd completed 60 prior to application time. Again, I'd distinguished completed and projected hours.
530 completed hours clinical volunteering in the ambulance corps and 110 for Habitat for Humanity are strong enough to stand on their own without the uncompleted projections (if Contacts are called for verification). You are highly likely to be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the breath of fresh air. Essentially, projected hours don't mean jack, and they certainly won't get your acceptance rescinded; that's more for blatant, outright lies than discrepancies between projected and completed hours. I honestly and accurately reported my completed hours.

N.B, @Goro: I already hold a medical school acceptance.

Reactions: 1 users
@Goro, @LizzyM, @gyngyn, @gonnif, @Faha: ECs are very important for medical schools; integrity is even more important. We could be looking at a guy getting his dream snatched away from him due to this lack of integrity, no?
Not at all. OP is fine. Life happens. If things change from what you said they would (Save for outright making something up) then who cares about projected hours. Adcoms care about what you have done not what you will do

Medical schools can get pre med gods with unwavering willpower and unstinting dedication.

OP is fine. adcoms know that life happens and a lot of times projected hours will seldom be what is actually done. most of the times they care about what you take away from the experience than getting ungodly hours. someone doing 10 hours doing something and understanding what it means to take care of someone or helping someone less fortunate and internalizing it is more important than someone doing the same thing for 10X as long but only thing they got out of it is that it will look good for adcoms