I preoxygenate. Something wrong with that? We got tons of fatties in America. But I preoxygenate everyone. Guess you wouldn't hire me as I am not so slick?
Don't take what I say or do too personal.
All I am saying is that "I" don't usually preox pts all that much.
I don't care what others do. It's theirs and your prerogative.
Noyac: "It's a waste of time for me to give literally the only drug that is required to sustain life; the monitoring that forms the basis of my entire profession is not necessary"
Anbuitachi: "20 minute C-sections are slow in my shop"
I mean really, is it necessary to preox the 18yo for an ACL that is scared sh*tless because it's his or her first surgery ever? Hell no. Get that pt off to sleep as fast as safely possible.
Noyac: "It's a waste of time for me to give literally the only drug that is required to sustain life; the monitoring that forms the basis of my entire profession is not necessary"
Anbuitachi: "20 minute C-sections are slow in my shop"
What precisely is false about it? The simple statement about not needing every patient, including young healthy folks with easy airways, to breath 100% O2 without a leak for 3-5 before induction shouldn't be earth shattering or require condemnation from the crowd. After all, I was under the assumption that we are the airway experts. Safe practice and lack of need for preO2 aren't mutually exclusive. Give it a try.
What precisely is false about it? The simple statement about not needing every patient, including young healthy folks with easy airways, to breath 100% O2 without a leak for 3-5 before induction shouldn't be earth shattering or require condemnation from the crowd. After all, I was under the assumption that we are the airway experts. Safe practice and lack of need for preO2 aren't mutually exclusive. Give it a try.
The bravado isn't any different from what is normally thrown around here. Noyac's assertion as written is ridiculous although he later amended his assertion.
I don't preox! At least not like we were taught. I do place a mask on the pts face as they are positioned on the table and the nurse in the room thinks she is doing something by holding it down. But I have already given the meds, so the pt might take one or two breaths with something more than 21% Fio2. I definitely do not wait in order for the pt to preox.
I would be extremely surprised if the vast majority of people here provide textbook preoxegenation. I do not. And I don't think it is absolutely necessary in every instance.
My initial comment, "who preoxegenates" was somewhat meant to be sarcastic. Which I frequently struggle to convey on a forum. But so many here take every single comment as absolute and blow things so far out of proportion.
So I will amend right now, "it's been a long long time since I have performed a textbook preoxegenation on a pt." I just don't do it. But nowhere did I recommend this for anyone out there.