Promising geographical locations for podiatrists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doglvr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what parts of the country are good places for a new podiatrist to start up a practice or join an existing one. Are the areas around the 8 schools good for business because podiatry is prominent, or are they bad because of possible saturation? Do most residents stay in the same area they do their residencies in? Also, what are the comparisons for podiatrists who practice in urban vs. rural areas?

Members don't see this ad.

doglvr said:
I was wondering what parts of the country are good places for a new podiatrist to start up a practice or join an existing one. Are the areas around the 8 schools good for business because podiatry is prominent, or are they bad because of possible saturation? Do most residents stay in the same area they do their residencies in? Also, what are the comparisons for podiatrists who practice in urban vs. rural areas?

In my opinion, some of the good places for a new podiatrists have included the South, Midwest, and Southwest US. In areas where there is a podiatry school, it is usually saturated with Podiatrists. Hence, it would be more difficult to set up your own practice due to the sheer amount of podiatrists in those areas. Many of the residents usually stay in the same area where they did their residency training because they usually hear of the job opportunities through their attendings, drug reps, or by word of mouth. In addition, many of the residents have family and are usually well adjusted in the area that they did their residency training at. There is an increasing trend of PM&S-36 / PSR-24+ trained podiatrists joining orthopedic surgery groups. However, not all orthopedic surgery group deals are necessary good. Most of my friends and classmates have choosen to join a group practice (podiatry or orthopedic or multispecialty) or join an exisiting solo podiatric practictioner. Very few have started their own practice. Right now, I have a few offers with several group practices. As for compensation for starting podiatrists, there are several publications of various starting salaries. However, you need to consider the regional medical economics when evaluating salaries. For example, in Philadelphia area, Medicare is the highest paying reimburser for physicians (most of the other insurances will reimburse equal to or less than Medicare does). On the other hand, in Kentucky, Medicare is the lowest paying reimburser for physicians (most of the other insurances will reimburse more than Medicare does). Hence, starting salaries for a podiatrist in Kentucky will probably be higher than a podiatrist starting in Philadelphia due to lower reimbursement rates in PHiladelphia. In areas where there is a lot of HMOs, you would expect a lower starting salaries as compare to areas that have very little HMO. The only exception would be California, where HMOs dominated. By the way, I am NOT implying that all Podiatrists in Philadelphia are not doing well financially. One of the graduates of my residency program started his own practice in rural Nebraska and he is doing extremely well (netting well over 6 figures in his first year). Netting means that is the amount of money he takes home after paying taxes and overhead costs. On the other hand, I have a friend who completed a 3 year surgical training program and is barely making 50,000 a year in Chicago. He is stuck in Chicago because he is not able to relocate his entire family. By the way, I am NOT implying that all starting podiatrists in Chicago start at 50,000. I am sure that there are some starting podiatrists in Chicago whom are probably starting 100,000 a year.

dpmgrad said:
In my opinion, some of the good places for a new podiatrists have included the South, Midwest, and Southwest US. In areas where there is a podiatry school, it is usually saturated with Podiatrists. Hence, it would be more difficult to set up your own practice due to the sheer amount of podiatrists in those areas. Many of the residents usually stay in the same area where they did their residency training because they usually hear of the job opportunities through their attendings, drug reps, or by word of mouth. In addition, many of the residents have family and are usually well adjusted in the area that they did their residency training at. There is an increasing trend of PM&S-36 / PSR-24+ trained podiatrists joining orthopedic surgery groups. However, not all orthopedic surgery group deals are necessary good. Most of my friends and classmates have choosen to join a group practice (podiatry or orthopedic or multispecialty) or join an exisiting solo podiatric practictioner. Very few have started their own practice. Right now, I have a few offers with several group practices. As for compensation for starting podiatrists, there are several publications of various starting salaries. However, you need to consider the regional medical economics when evaluating salaries. For example, in Philadelphia area, Medicare is the highest paying reimburser for physicians (most of the other insurances will reimburse equal to or less than Medicare does). On the other hand, in Kentucky, Medicare is the lowest paying reimburser for physicians (most of the other insurances will reimburse more than Medicare does). Hence, starting salaries for a podiatrist in Kentucky will probably be higher than a podiatrist starting in Philadelphia due to lower reimbursement rates in PHiladelphia. In areas where there is a lot of HMOs, you would expect a lower starting salaries as compare to areas that have very little HMO. The only exception would be California, where HMOs dominated. By the way, I am NOT implying that all Podiatrists in Philadelphia are not doing well financially. One of the graduates of my residency program started his own practice in rural Nebraska and he is doing extremely well (netting well over 6 figures in his first year). Netting means that is the amount of money he takes home after paying taxes and overhead costs. On the other hand, I have a friend who completed a 3 year surgical training program and is barely making 50,000 a year in Chicago. He is stuck in Chicago because he is not able to relocate his entire family. By the way, I am NOT implying that all starting podiatrists in Chicago start at 50,000. I am sure that there are some starting podiatrists in Chicago whom are probably starting 100,000 a year.

what about michigan is that a good place for podiatrist, also are you a practicing podiatrist dpmgrad?

Members don't see this ad :)
shawmahmed said:
what about michigan is that a good place for podiatrist, also are you a practicing podiatrist dpmgrad?

To be honest with you, I am not sure what the environment is like for Podiatrists in Michigan. There are plenty of residency programs in Michigan. Perhaps, you can talk to some of the current residents or practicing podiatrists in Michigan about the opportunities for a podiatrist who is starting out.

I am currently a 3rd year resident at a PM&S-36 program. I am looking forward to join the practicing podiatrist world in July 2006.

doglvr said:
Are the areas around the 8 schools good for business because podiatry is prominent, or are they bad because of possible saturation?

The areas around the 8 schools are probably good for some people, but bad for others. If you take a look at the Miami phone book, you'll see as many pages of podiatrists as pages of pizza places. I would venture a guesss that there is more of a demand for pizza than podiatry, though. Still, few of them are really "hurting" for business because Miami is a "podiatry friendly" area as well. The area residents are used to having podiatrists as part of the health care team. That is still not the case in some areas.

From what I hear, Texas is best so far (that also goes for MD/DO) Southern Cal is not so good. Try going on salary.com. It gives you a rough estimate of "average" salaries based on local areas and comparing to the national average.

What about a practice in NYC or Westchester county?

stookie said:
What about a practice in NYC or Westchester county?

people do well but nyc is pretty saturated in pods. wesrchester probably has lots too.

any city that has a school will be saturated in pods.

kentucky is pretty good though.