ProntoPass or APhA for NAPLEX Review?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaliBeachPharm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to find some good materials to study for the NAPLEX. I had never heard of ProntoPass until recently. While on rotation, I met a student from another school who ordered ProntoPass because she heard from other students it was a good study guide. I looked at the ProntoPass website, and it looked a little questionable. I called the business as well, and the guy who answered the phone was not very helpful. It is pretty expensive, so I only want to buy it if it is truly effective. Has anyone had experience with ProntoPass, and would you recommend it as a sole study guide, especially for the updated NAPLEX?

Or should I stick with the traditional Appleton & Lange and APhA study guides? Thanks for your help! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I studied from APHA only and passed the NAPLEX with 127.
I did not use ProntoPass or any other stuff. Just some references to my school notes.

My friend and I studied using the Pronto Pass and took the Naplex last week and passed. We liked it because 1. you can fold over the cards and quiz yourself. 2. The information is concise not as overwhelming as AphA. 3. His posters are great (the top 200 drugs and disease states).
We did use the AphA book for a few things (like anemia) but mainly focused on pronto pass. Its a lot of money but it was worth it. Hope this helps:oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
How long did you study using Pronto Pass? I will finish my last rotation in March and would like to take the exam (and pass!) ASAP. I am really really nervous for the exam and want to choose the best way to study.

I had the apha, kaplan and pronto pass study materials. I liked the pronto pass best because you got to fold over the cards and question yourself. It also makes it easy for other people to ask you questions.

I've tried everything except ProntoPass... Kaplan, APhA, Appleton & Lange...

The Kaplan Q bank was a little helpful as well as Appleton & Lange,, but I failed and this was before the NAPLEX was "refreshed". :( I didn't know about Flynn until too late.

I need to study and take the New NAPLEX, so any study suggestions would be great... Any other thoughts about ProntoPass?

Does anyone know of anyone who has failed the NAPLEX after using ProntoPass to study?

Hello guys,
Where can I get "Flynn notes" for NAPLEX?
Thank you.

Tinu
Flynn's notes were once available to those who took a prep course taught by Dr. Flynn Warren. The NABP felt that questions presented to students taking the course were too similar to those on the NAPLEX exam and pursued legal action against Dr. Warren. The NAPLEX was also suspended for several months last year because of concerns over the integrity of the exam. And, there were some general statements made to the effect that the NABP will go after any group, school, or individual that they believe is responsible for undermining the exam's integrity. Although I am unaware of any action being taken against anyone but Dr. Warren, it stands to reason that anyone else found to be distributing or obtaining copies of the old notes might be at risk for legal action. So, even if there are bootleg or secondhand copies still floating around out there, but it's not a great idea to try and get ahold of them.

Interestingly, in the documents related to the case, you will see some posts from this board entered into evidence.

Thank you so much bananaface for explaining all this situation to me. I am a foreign graduate so I wasn't aware of all this. I appreciate your taking time out to reply to my post. After knowing all this, I'm not going to waste my time finding any of his material & put the possibility of my getting licensed at risk.

hi guys, i need to take the naplex soon. i have the apha is sufficient to study only from this for the exam. do anyone know anything about "NAPLEX Secrets study guide" ?:confused:

did you focus on any particular chapters of apha book ? or I really need to study entire book several times ?

i was told to try prontopass by a recent grad pharmacist at one of my rotations, so i bought them thinking it was a good idea despite the cards costing a fortune. ... big mistake.

... maybe that sort of thing works for 3rd graders, but it doesnt for me. the cards are too busy and have too much going on. its pure memorization and the "memoronics" or whatever they call them are forced and actually harder to remember than the actual information. i honestly tried to study for naplex with them, but it was soo hard. the information isnt organized and the cards dont go in to why you would choose what therapy over what. the posters and cards are info thrown on a paper and have circles, squares and arrows everywhere. i had to sit down, put on a pair of reading glasses and organize what i was seeing before i could even think about anything being presented to me.

i paid a lot of money for it, but the most time i spent on them was when i was rubber banding them together.

i didnt have the apha book (it was sent to an old mailing address - sad face), but i did use kaplan. kaplan didnt have everything in it, but it was just enough information to refresh what i learned in school but not too much that i was unwilling to read it. when i was confused on something or thought there wasnt enough material on it in kaplan, i just referred to text books and class notes. i heard rxprep was good too, but its too long (barely got through kaplan and its half the size) and its much more expensive.

oh, and the guaranteed pass thing with pronto pass? they expect you to dedicate around 60 hours a week for 3 months to study for naplex. im sorry, but i dont have that kind of time considering i was able to get through kaplan in about a week... and that wasnt intense studying, either.

oh, and the guaranteed pass thing with pronto pass? they expect you to dedicate around 60 hours a week for 3 months to study for naplex. im sorry, but i dont have that kind of time considering i was able to get through kaplan in about a week... and that wasnt intense studying, either.

Wait a minute, are you saying if you take the naplex within 3 months of purchasing prontopass and fail, they would not return your money? :eek:

Does anybody know how prontopass guarantee policy work?

I do not recommend Prontopass. I recommend APHA. I have purchased both sources. When I took the NAPLEX last year, I was so upset for spending all my time studying for prontopass. I barely passed the exam. So, stick with APHA. Don't deviate from it and do not use more than 1 or two books. It will make you go nuts.

I do not recommend Prontopass. I recommend APHA. I have purchased both sources. When I took the NAPLEX last year, I was so upset for spending all my time studying for prontopass. I barely passed the exam. So, stick with APHA. Don't deviate from it and do not use more than 1 or two books. It will make you go nuts.

I am thinking of sticking with just APHA and one more book? which very good one I need someone to pls tell me!:thumbup:

Please do not waste your money on Prontopass!! They have the worst study materials! A lot of the information on those notecards is outdated and incorrect!! All they do is change the date at the bottom of the cards making it look like it's recent, but those who know the material can see the information is outdated and not correct according to updated guidelines. Their customer service is terrible too! Rude and unresponsive to emails. They will ghost you when they feel they have errored. This is a warning sign of dishonesty. Don't expect them to admit their mistakes or help you out when things go downhill. Stay away!!!
If you want to fail the NAPLEX, then take the risk and study from them. If not, look elsewhere for more reliable resources.
This is my most honest advice to those who are working hard right now to find study materials for the NAPLEX. Good luck!