Proper use of the title "Dr." and use of post-name letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

edkNARF

A is A
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just watched a comercial in which an onscreen graphic identified the dentist as "Dr. Joe Schmo, DDS." To me that just seems kind of redundant, and a little pretentious. I was wondering what reasons one would use Dr. as opposed to DDS, and if there is a reason one would use both. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

What is the point of this post - How will it help anyone? :confused:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm -- I also have a question to add here about letters-at-the-end-of-the-name: what the heck does "P.A." stand for?? I thought "Professional Association?" but it comes after an individual's name so that doesn't make much sense unless there's something big I'm missing here.

Petulant A$$?
Pernicious Anemia?
Pathological Associate?

:D

PA title is used both for lawyers and physician assistants.

Dentists, chiropractors, and other wannabe doctors ROUTINELY use the Dr. Joe Smith, DDS routine. Its an obvious attempt to build up their frail ego. They are worried that if people just say Joe Blow, DDS that they wouldnt think they are a REAL doctor.

Here is Macgyver's theorem on doctor titles:

The probability that a random healthcare professional will try to use the Dr X, ___ format is DIRECTLY proportional to the status of the person as a dentist, chiropractor, or naturopath.

With lawyers, what does it actually stand for, though? That's where I'm lost.

MacGyver said:

Dentists, chiropractors, and other wannabe doctors ROUTINELY use the Dr. Joe Smith, DDS routine. Its an obvious attempt to build up their frail ego. They are worried that if people just say Joe Blow, DDS that they wouldnt think they are a REAL doctor.

The probability that a random healthcare professional will try to use the Dr X, ___ format is DIRECTLY proportional to the status of the person as a dentist, chiropractor, or naturopath.

Also used by MD's. Take a look at the end of their title on the door of their office. "PA" stands for Professional Association

As far as fake doctor, think whatever you want bec if I remember correctly both of our profession's have the same roots: Barbers

So Barber MacGyver, go blow smoke somewhere else.

edkNARF said:
I just watched a comercial in which an onscreen graphic identified the dentist as "Dr. Joe Schmo, DDS." To me that just seems kind of redundant, and a little pretentious. I was wondering what reasons one would use Dr. as opposed to DDS, and if there is a reason one would use both. Thanks.

If a commerical is trying to be legit, then it MUST have the commentator use both the title "Dr" as well as the initials following the name.

All too often you will see commercials with a "Dr" as a witness or a commentator, but you have no idea what type of "Dr" the person is.

For example, The Weather Channel frequently runs a daily segment which deals with your health and the weather (allergies, arthritis, etc.) and it is hosted by "Dr. XXX". A little research will tell you that the lady is a podiatrist. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but she ought to have "DPM" following her name to clarify it for the viewers.

Using the dual notations in other situations isn't necessary.

MacGyver said:

Its true dentists call themselves doctors to remind themselves and others that they are doctors proved by the fact that they acheived the prerequisites to deserve that title. BUT the most important reason dentists call themselves doctors is to torment those egocentric "real" doctors who think they are the only ones in the world deserving of such a broad title. Its funny for us dentists to see "real doctors" complain that we are their equals, its all they have left to brag about as advantages over dentistry. (i.e we dont have mandatory residencies, we make more money, we have better hours, we run our own business's and we dont generally kill people and make major mistakes requiring tons of liability insurance)

PA is a type of legal entity for tax purposes. Physicians, dentists, lawyers, etc. use this abbreviation when they set up their practices. It is akin to a C-corp, S-corp, partnership, LLC, LLP, etc.

So is it better to be a "PA" or an "LLC"? I've seen dentists with each of these after their names. Is one preferable to the other? I'm not sure where to look for a reference to find out, either.

P.S. Uhh, what's an S-corp? I'm kindof a science geek with NO idea whatsoever about business-related things (and no, I don't plan ever to run my own practice!). :)

MacGyver only demonstrated his lack of proper breeding with his post to this thread (which often happens with narrsistic types when they move up into the upper middle class). They become insufferable bores.

Yeah "doctor" to less informed people likley connotes physician, but better educated folks know that "doctor" is a formal term of address which denotes someone who has officially been recognized by an academic institution of higher learning as having achieved a certain level of expertise within his or her chosen field.

I guess I was brought up different that MacGyver. I don't refer to my physician as Mary Lou, my dentist as Jeff, nor my wife's podiatrist as Mary. I just have a professional relationship with them, so I refer to them as Dr. Hatcher, Dr. Nelson, and Dr. Crawford respectively. They refer to themselves on their "shingles" as Mary L. Hatcher MD, Jeffery Nelson DDS, and Mary Crawford DPM, so I don't know where MacGyver comes up with his lame theory.

Members don't see this ad :)
trypmo,

It's been a while since I studied accounting, so if you want a very accurate answer either talk to a CPA or do some more web searches. But, I'll try to give you a satisfactory answer.

An individual can start a business and then organize it as a sole proprietorship. This is the easiet and least costly way to organize a business. However, as the owner, you face certain risks. For example, if you are a plumber who has organized his business as a sole proprietorship, and someone brings a lawsuit against you for damaging their property, then not only can the business' assets be used to settle the lawsuit, but so can your personal assets (i.e. your house, boat, checking acct., etc).

As an alternative to a sole proprietorship, you can organize your business so that YOU have more protection as the OWNER. Essentially, the business' assets (i.e. the building, tools, cash, etc.) are at risk, but your own personal items are not at risk. This is the case when you organize as an LLC (limited liability corporation), S-corp (a relatively newer way to organize your business), or a C-corp (this is how companies like Wal-mart, Sears, etc. are set up).

As to which one is better, that is really up to each business. And, that is where a CPA can be effective. You'll have to decide how you want to organize your business by weighing the pros and the cons of each option.

I'm not sure what all of the legal and tax aspects of a P.A. arrangement are like; but, apparently, many professionals in dentistry and other fields utilize this setup.

Lastly, in addition to legal protection, each type of business entity (LLC, C-corp, PA, etc.) has different tax implications. So, depending on how you want the business' and your own income taxed will also influence your decision.

I hope most of this is accurate. I'd really encourage you to find an expert or do some on-line research, if you are really interested.

I guess I was brought up different that MacGyver.

Yes, most of us were brought up differently than MacGyver. Then again, he once combined a paper clip, baking soda, and film cannister as a makeshift arterial stent while in Afghanistan on a covert op. That kind of externship builds character. :cool:

On a less sarcastic note, I'm in the "Dr. XYZ, (title)" is redundant crowd only because the (title) often includes "doctor" as well. Hence, the title already implies doctor. So, as mentioned before, you can call a person "Dr. Joe Schmo", but that person would have "Joe Schmo, DDS/DMD" on his door.

Then again, including both titles could also just be hammering the point in for people who are unaware of what a DDS/DMD means. Those types have to be out there somewhere.

Thanks, Javadi! :thumbup:

Thanks guys, while I do appreciate all the advice you have offered me.... I was hoping for a more succint explanation of when one would use one creddential over the other (Dr. XYZ or XYZ, DDS). To me it seems odd that one would be (Dr. XYZ, DDS).

edkNARF said:
I was hoping for a more succint explanation of when one would use one creddential over the other (Dr. XYZ or XYZ, DDS). To me it seems odd that one would be (Dr. XYZ, DDS).

Using both (Dr. XYZ, DDS) would be redundant and uncessary in 99% of situations.

The commonly used format would be XYZ, DDS.

The other format, Dr. XYZ, would most likely be used in verbal speech.

MacGyver said:

"wannabe doctors"? what an ignorant and brutish (means stupid, incase you're wondering!) statement. If you had ever gone to an undergrad school then you wouldn't make that statement. What do you call your professors with a PhD in undergrad? how do you address them? wannabe doctors?
I don't care what kind of professions they are in, if they've earned a doctorate degree then they can do whatever they wish to their names. I'm sure that they've earned it. Your name is not worth **** so don't taking trash about other people who are on a different level (better level) comparing to you.

MacGyver said:

For a guy who had **** for brain, you sure are good at math!. "probability" "DIRECTLY proportional"... damn I'm really impressed!

Grow up and have some respect for others, punk. Stop using your palm so much, it'll mess up your brain.
Go lurk some other forums, may I recommend http://dumb****.com or maybe ]http://www.numbnuts.net. We don't care for your idiotic comments, punk.

I agree with Gavin. The Dr. So and So, MD/DDS/DPM is almost always used verbally and only in formal settings such as an introduction as a speaker, when receiving a professional award, or in commercials. And it is used just as often by MDs as by others in these situations.

As for MacGuyver, don't let yourselves get too riled up by him. He isn't just a troll; he really believes that stuff he is saying. If you've read any of his other posts, you'll see that is obsessed with anything that will detract in any degree from the prestige he hopes to gain as a future physician. This includes anyone other than MDs being called "Dr.", non-physicians wearing white coats, nurses doing anything more than wiping butts, and the list goes on. It is fairly obvious from his post history and signature line that his aspirations in medicine are only to compensate for some defect in his character, anatomy, or both. Let him enjoy this time on the internet feeling that he is better than everyone else. I'm sure he suffers enough in the real world.

What SpongeBob says is true--MacGyver IS passionate about his thoughts.

But you'll also notice that he hasn't posted since, and he may not post on this thread again.

We can continue this conversation if it is of interest, but let's NOT continue it only to rebuke MacGyver. His interest in this thread has probably long since been removed.

ItsGavinC said:
We can continue this conversation if it is of interest, but let's NOT continue it only to rebuke MacGyver. His interest in this thread has probably long since been removed.

I agree with you Gavin. When I originally started this thread, I wanted the answer to a question. I consider that question answered, and any future posts would be mute. Therefore with the power invested in my as the OP, I declared thread over and done with.

Here is a question. I have a Master of Science degree in audiology. When I get my DDS., is my name swiminh2o, DDS., MS. or do I just drop the MS as it may imply my MS is in dentistry?

I think it would be perfectly acceptable to use any appellations you have earned - Dr. Swiminh2o, DDS, MS, BS, LDS. Any others I'm missing?

Dr.SpongeBobDDS said:
I think it would be perfectly acceptable to use any appellations you have earned - Dr. Swiminh2o, DDS, MS, BS, LDS. Any others I'm missing?

DMD :)

Dr.SpongeBobDDS said:
JD, MD, BDS, BMD, BA, MMSC,
on that note, one of the authors of "contemporary oral sugery" by peterson is James R Hupp, DMD, MD, JD, MBA, FACS, FACD......talk about an eternal student.. :eek:

I'm BAAAAAACCCKKK!!!!! :laugh:

Seriously guys its absolutely amazing to me how many mind readers we have in this forum. People telling me that I'm everything from just a simple arrogant "punk" to a slightly less threatening version of Hitler. Its great comic relief to see people repeatedly stumble over themselves to see who can villify me in the most derogative fashion. Keep up the good work! :thumbup:

I still stand by Macgyver's rule. You RARELY see MDs use this naming tactic. By far, its the DOs, dentists, naturopaths, PhDs, chiropractors, and other "doctors" who do this. Take a look in your local phone book, or on the local TV stations with their advertisements for various medical services and you'll quickly realize I'm right.

Macgyver,

You suffer from observational bias. That is, you probably found what you were already looking for. Doesn't that seem a more sensible conclusion than making a sweeping generalization of an entire profession?

Seriously, I liked you better when you were on TV in the 1980s making acorns into grenades.

By the way, is there an accepted standard for the order in which degrees (Joe Schmo, DDS, MS, JD, etc.) appear following the name? This is probably a simple Google search, but does anyone know offhand?

boboli_chef said:
Macgyver,

You suffer from observational bias. That is, you probably found what you were already looking for. Doesn't that seem a more sensible conclusion than making a sweeping generalization of an entire profession?

By the way, is there an accepted standard for the order in which degrees (Joe Schmo, DDS, MS, JD, etc.) appear following the name? This is probably a simple Google search, but does anyone know offhand?

Regarding MacGyver: let's not feed the trolls.

Regarding the standard: the acting title should be the one most closely following the name. Therefore, Joe Schmo DMD, JD, would apply for a practicing dentist, while Joe Schmoe JD, DMD, would apply for an attorney. This is a common standard, although may choose not to follow it.