You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
When can we officially call ourselves “Dr. *Name*”?
Started by MIIMtodent
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
S
schmoob
What paperwork do you need to write “Doctor” on in the next few weeks?
Lol, I was filling out paperwork for a new lease and it asked for my prefix and it made me realize I wasn’t sure when we actually got the title. Just curious.What paperwork do you need to write “Doctor” on in the next few weeks?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In my head, once they give you that piece of paper, they have awarded you the degree that lets you use the Dr title if you want to. Whether or not you have completed the licensing process doesn't matter as there are numerous people who have various doctorate degrees, and use the Dr title, where a license to practice what their doctorate is in isn't needed (think many of your dental school professors who have their Ph.D's)
Big Hoss
Just put mr on non healthcare professional paperworks putting dr isnt gonna get you any discount or more respect from ppl
This ^. Who cares about Dr title. You still have to make payments, bills, retirement, use the toilet, ect. just like everyone else.It seems many pre dental and dental students crave the title but the rich doctors I know don’t care and want to be known as simply “Mr. Jones” or your neighbor “Ben”
It’s gonna get you the opposite of a discount wherever you goJust put mr on non healthcare professional paperworks putting dr isnt gonna get you any discount or more respect from ppl
It seems many pre dental and dental students crave the title but the rich doctors I know don’t care and want to be known as simply “Mr. Jones” or your neighbor “Ben”
Geez let him live. He’s about to earn his degree and is excited about it, no need to prove how blasé you areThis ^. Who cares about Dr title. You still have to make payments, bills, retirement, use the toilet, ect. just like everyone else.
On your graduation day, when you walk across the stage as they hand you your diploma. Or the day that they officially grant you the degree if you have to stay late to finish your requirements.
Agree. When you officially have been conferred the degree, you have the title.
I would caution you though, as it is just a title. It is something that you worked hard for and should celebrate in its completion, but I would caution you on telling anyone that you have the title. As several others have pointed out, most folks just want to be known as people. The title does not define us, who you are does.
Never identify yourself. I'm Mister all ****ing day.
A lot of the time it'll get you ripped offJust put mr on non healthcare professional paperworks putting dr isnt gonna get you any discount or more respect from ppl
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is a new grad thing and I totally get it, but careful what you wish for...
My first 3 months after graduation I literally put "Dr." on anything that asked for a title, including my new credit card... OMG it became such a headache. People be asking you for free dental advice, tell you their horrible experiences with their own dentist, have certain expectations about your wealth (when in actuality you are massively in debt), generally crap that became a real drag... there were people who were genuinely impressed with the title but absolutely NOT worth the other crap...
I have since removed any evidence of my doctorate title except work. Don't want anyone to call me Dr. outside of work at all.
My first 3 months after graduation I literally put "Dr." on anything that asked for a title, including my new credit card... OMG it became such a headache. People be asking you for free dental advice, tell you their horrible experiences with their own dentist, have certain expectations about your wealth (when in actuality you are massively in debt), generally crap that became a real drag... there were people who were genuinely impressed with the title but absolutely NOT worth the other crap...
I have since removed any evidence of my doctorate title except work. Don't want anyone to call me Dr. outside of work at all.
Absolutely.This is a new grad thing and I totally get it, but careful what you wish for...
My first 3 months after graduation I literally put "Dr." on anything that asked for a title, including my new credit card... OMG it became such a headache. People be asking you for free dental advice, tell you their horrible experiences with their own dentist, have certain expectations about your wealth (when in actuality you are massively in debt), generally crap that became a real drag... there were people who were genuinely impressed with the title but absolutely NOT worth the other crap...
I have since removed any evidence of my doctorate title except work. Don't want anyone to call me Dr. outside of work at all.
And as a new grad you have much less than zero dollars…esp after licensing fees etc
S
schmoob
“No offense, but I hate the dentist.”This is a new grad thing and I totally get it, but careful what you wish for...
My first 3 months after graduation I literally put "Dr." on anything that asked for a title, including my new credit card... OMG it became such a headache. People be asking you for free dental advice, tell you their horrible experiences with their own dentist, have certain expectations about your wealth (when in actuality you are massively in debt), generally crap that became a real drag... there were people who were genuinely impressed with the title but absolutely NOT worth the other crap...
I have since removed any evidence of my doctorate title except work. Don't want anyone to call me Dr. outside of work at all.
EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.
That's when you aggressively load a carpule in the syringe, look them in the eyes, and say " No offense but I don't like your attitude".“No offense, but I hate the dentist.”
EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.
How the public views dentists: 10 Reasons I Hate The Dentist“No offense, but I hate the dentist.”
EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 2K