Proper way to withdraw

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ekamenet

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this question could easily be searched, but unfortunately that option is not available to us right now so I figured I would just ask this again. I was recently accepted to my number one choice and wanted to begin withdrawing my apps from other schools. Is it best to call the schools, send them a letter, an email? I really don't know how most people going about doing this and was hoping someone can lead me in the right direction. Thanks. :)

Members don't see this ad.

ekamenet said:
I'm sure this question could easily be searched, but unfortunately that option is not available to us right now so I figured I would just ask this again. I was recently accepted to my number one choice and wanted to begin withdrawing my apps from other schools. Is it best to call the schools, send them a letter, an email? I really don't know how most people going about doing this and was hoping someone can lead me in the right direction. Thanks. :)

Any of those options are acceptable. Congrats on getting into your #1.

Was it Loyola? I am interviewing there Thursday - so excited.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I chose my school I immediately sent letters to the other medical schools requesting that they withdraw my application from consideration. Doing so in a timely manner is respectful to both your fellow applicants and the admissions offices at the schools.

It annoys me to no end when applicants hold onto multiple acceptances AFTER they've already been accepted by their top choice school.

ekamenet said:

I called a few schools and was told that a signed letter was required to withdraw. Congrats!

91Bravo said:
It annoys me to no end when applicants hold onto multiple acceptances AFTER they've already been accepted by their top choice school.
I will be doing just that, and I have absolutely no guilt about it. I think it it totally reasonable to wait until you receive financial aid packages to drop schools.

(I have removed myself from consideration at some schools where I know I would not attend.)

SailCrazy said:
I will be doing just that, and I have absolutely no guilt about it. I think it it totally reasonable to wait until you receive financial aid packages to drop schools.

(I have removed myself from consideration at some schools where I know I would not attend.)

Well clearly you don't have a TOP choice then. It sounds like you've received acceptances from several good schools and are waiting to choose among them based upon financial considerations. If you did have a clear-cut TOP choice, the fiancial aid package wouldn't be much of an issue. My problem is with people who hoard acceptances for the sake of ego. I trust that is not the case with you, SailCrazy.

91Bravo said:
Well clearly you don't have a TOP choice then. It sounds like you've received acceptances from several good schools and are waiting to choose among them based upon financial considerations. If you did have a clear-cut TOP choice, the fiancial aid package wouldn't be much of an issue. My problem is with people who hoard acceptances for the sake of ego. I trust that is not the case with you, SailCrazy.
You're half right. I'm not going to be holding any acceptances simply so I can have a collection!

I do, however, have one TOP choice. Unlike some of the lucky applicants out there, finances will definitely play an important role for me. I can certainly invision a scenario where I go to a school that is not my top choice (but is still a good school) for reasons that are basically financial.

Here is the proper way to withdraw:

Dear [insert med school here]:

Thank you for your prompt consideration of my application. I am humbled that you think of me as a student who would be a welcomed asset to your school. I have been very fortunate to receive multiple acceptances and will be attending another med school. However, there is an applicant, gdbaby, who has not even heard from you and would relish the opportunity to prove herself worthy. I hereby offer her my acceptance spot.

[Also include a DVD with the scene from "Rudy" where all the football players are handing their jerseys in saying "Rudy can play for me coach."]

gdbaby said:
Here is the proper way to withdraw:

Dear [insert med school here]:

Thank you for your prompt consideration of my application. I am humbled that you think of me as a student who would be a welcomed asset to your school. I have been very fortunate to receive multiple acceptances and will be attending another med school. However, there is an applicant, gdbaby, who has not even heard from you and would relish the opportunity to prove herself worthy. I hereby offer her my acceptance spot.

[Also include a DVD with the scene from "Rudy" where all the football players are handing their jerseys in saying "Rudy can play for me coach."]
That sounds much better than my idea of Xerox-ing your a-- and signing "Sorry B-tches, but I'm going to *INSERT NAME OF TOP CHOICE MED SCHOOL*!!!!" :laugh: :smuggrin: :laugh: :laugh: :smuggrin: :laugh:

Praetorian said:
That sounds much better than my idea of Xerox-ing your a-- and signing "Sorry B-tches, but I'm going to *INSERT NAME OF TOP CHOICE MED SCHOOL*!!!!" :laugh: :smuggrin: :laugh: :laugh: :smuggrin: :laugh:
I like this one! :thumbup:

Praetorian said:
Ditto! this one rocks! Oh, but it doesn't work to get me into school...

OP: email the schools where you want to withdraw and tell them you want to withdraw. Some accept withdrawals by email, and if they don't, they'll tell you to send a letter.