Propofol with Lidocaine and Electricity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BLADEMDA

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently,

I've been asked if adding Lidocaine to Propofol in anyway affects an elective Cardioversion? Does the Propofol or Lidocaine affect the defibrillation Threshold?

Second, when a patiet goes into an induced V.Tach followed by Cardioversion (AICD beig installed) does the Lidocaine or Propofol affect the "inducibility" of V. Tach?

The dosage of lidoacine can range from 40 mg to 100 mg upfront or mixed into the propofol. Of course, the timing of Defibrillation/V. tach inducibility matters and ranges from 1-3 minutes in scenario 1 vs 45 minutes in scenario 2 from the administration of lidocaine plus propofol.

Members don't see this ad.

Recently,

I've been asked if adding Lidocaine to Propofol in anyway affects an elective Cardioversion? Does the Propofol or Lidocaine affect the defibrillation Threshold?

Second, when a patiet goes into an induced V.Tach followed by Cardioversion (AICD beig installed) does the Lidocaine or Propofol affect the "inducibility" of V. Tach?

The dosage of lidoacine can range from 40 mg to 100 mg upfront or mixed into the propofol. Of course, the timing of Defibrillation/V. tach inducibility matters and ranges from 1-3 minutes in scenario 1 vs 45 minutes in scenario 2 from the administration of lidocaine plus propofol.

1: Not likely, assuming afib cardioversion.
2: Probably. I would skip it.