Proposed MS4 schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EM Junkie

SDN Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I hate to do this, but could any MS4's/current EM residents comment on my proposed MS4 schedule? For various reasons, I am not able to do any away rotations (mainly don't want to leave my wife for a month). My EM advisor told me my Step 1 was good enough, and to take Step 2 (very late). Here goes:

July-EM at county hospital staffed with EM residency program attendings
August-EM at home program
September-shock trauma ICU
October-Required family practice
November-Radiology
December-Anesthesiology/Interview
January-Vacation/Interview
February-Required Neurology
March-Required Medicine
April-Dermatology
May-Vacation/Step 2/Move?

Any advice would be appreciated! I am looking to stay at my home program for residency, moderately competitive.

Thanks!
-Scott

Members don't see this ad.

stw2361 said:
Hey guys. I hate to do this, but could any MS4's/current EM residents comment on my proposed MS4 schedule? For various reasons, I am not able to do any away rotations (mainly don't want to leave my wife for a month). My EM advisor told me my Step 1 was good enough, and to take Step 2 (very late). Here goes:

July-EM at county hospital staffed with EM residency program attendings
August-EM at home program
September-shock trauma ICU
October-Required family practice
November-Radiology
December-Anesthesiology/Interview
January-Vacation/Interview
February-Required Neurology
March-Required Medicine
April-Dermatology
May-Vacation/Step 2/Move?

Any advice would be appreciated! I am looking to stay at my home program for residency, moderately competitive.

Thanks!
-Scott

you only get one month of vacation your fourth year? wow, most at my school get at least 3-4 months out of 12 off. do you have to take all of those months or are you doing them out of interest?

later

Sounds fine to me. My only suggestion would be to not wait until may to take step II. By May you will have no urge at all to study and won't want to think about taking an exam. I'd recommend taking it in Jan or Feb.

Short Bus said:
Sounds fine to me. My only suggestion would be to not wait until may to take step II. By May you will have no urge at all to study and won't want to think about taking an exam. I'd recommend taking it in Jan or Feb.

Thanks for the advice. I didn't consider the inevitable senioritis. For the other poster, we get 2 months off, I am taking January and May.

-Scott