Pros and cons of attending a new school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SurgDoc95

Surgery Resident
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently accepted to BCOM and am seriously considering attending. The facilities are amazing and their association with NMSU really puts them over the top. They are modeling their curriculum after RVU (dean of academic affairs helped design RVUs curriculum overhaul in 2010) which suggests board scores will be good. Everyone on the staff was very pleasant and I really could see myself calling BCOM home or the next 4 years, but was wondering if there are any downsides to attending a school where I would be part of the second matriculated class? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Scanning the BCOM thread, I thought they had no connections to NMSU?

Honestly, the school you get accepted to is the best DO school. Every school has its pros and cons, and it may not always be the "grass is greener on the other side". Also, by the end of the cycle, you'll know which school is right for you.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
According to the presentations and tours on interview day, BCOM students are able to use several resources on the NMSU campus such as the rec center, libraries, student union, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
The students have complete access to all facilties and resources on the NMSU campus. Due to state politics, there is no official connection but the building is on campus and even the actual name reflects the connection to NMSU.

"Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine at New Mexico State University"

The students have complete access to all facilties and resources on the NMSU campus. Due to state politics, there is no official connection but the building is on campus and even the actual name reflects the connection to NMSU.

"Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine at New Mexico State University"

Ahh, thanks! I might be applying to this school due to location very soon.

I was recently accepted to BCOM and am seriously considering attending. The facilities are amazing and their association with NMSU really puts them over the top. They are modeling their curriculum after RVU (dean of academic affairs helped design RVUs curriculum overhaul in 2010) which suggests board scores will be good. Everyone on the staff was very pleasant and I really could see myself calling BCOM home or the next 4 years, but was wondering if there are any downsides to attending a school where I would be part of the second matriculated class? Thanks!

No downsides to the pre-clinical curriculum as you mentioned. It has been proven and I think we will perform just as well, if not better, than RVU. No downsides to 4th year rotations since they are completely elective. You could do all of them at academic centers or all at rural areas. Whatever floats your boat.

The only downsides I see is the (possible) variable quality of 3rd year core clinical rotations and the lack of research on campus. Quality 3rd year core rotations correlates greatly with better Step 2 performance.

Obviously, research access is easier going to an MD school then DO. I have been told that just means you need to put more effort to work in labs outside of the school, do research in the summer between MS1 and MS2, and/or take a year off (usually in between MS2 and MS3 but can also be done between MS3 and MS4) to do a full year of research at a allopathic hospital. With Texas right next to BCOM, there is a ton of MD programs around with Texas Tech-El Paso being the closest MD school to Las Cruces.

Simply put, to have a competitive residency application as a DO, do a little bit better than a competitive MD, which is take the USMLE and do great on Step 1+2 (240+) and have research done with 3-4 great LOR's (at least 1 chairmen from an MD school) and impress during rotations. Yes, LOR's from academic department chairs at MD schools are hard to get as a DO but that's why many rotate at allopathic hospitals and/or take a year off for research. Early 4th year elective rotations go a long way because those programs get to see your personality before your application. If you are a likable fellow, they will be more inclined to interview you since they have met you.

I urge more experienced DO students and/or DO's who have matched ACGME to please comment. I just got accepted to BCOM like OP. What I have posted is based on a lot of research and talking with MD's and DO's.

Last edited:
No downsides to the pre-clinical curriculum as you mentioned. It has been proven and I think we will perform just as well, if not better, than RVU. No downsides to 4th year rotations since they are completely elective. You could do all of them at academic centers or all at rural areas. Whatever floats your boat.

The only downsides I see is the (possible) variable quality of 3rd year core clinical rotations and the lack of research on campus. Quality 3rd year core rotations correlates greatly with better Step 2 performance.

Obviously, research access is easier going to an MD school then DO. I have been told that just means you need to put more effort to work in labs outside of the school, do research in the summer between MS1 and MS2, and/or take a year off (usually in between MS2 and MS3 but can also be done between MS3 and MS4) to do a full year of research at a allopathic hospital. With Texas right next to BCOM, there is a ton of MD programs around with Texas Tech-El Paso being the closest MD school to Las Cruces.

Simply put, to have a competitive residency application as a DO, do a little bit better than a competitive MD, which is take the USMLE and do great on Step 1+2 (240+) and have research done with 3-4 great LOR's (at least 1 chairmen from an MD school) and impress during rotations. Yes, LOR's from academic department chairs at MD schools are hard to get as a DO but that's why many rotate at allopathic hospitals and/or take a year off for research. Early 4th year elective rotations go a long way because those programs get to see your personality before your application. If you are a likable fellow, they will be more inclined to interview you since they have met you.

I urge more experienced DO students and/or DO's who have matched ACGME to please comment. I just got accepted to BCOM like OP. What I have posted is based on a lot of research and talking with MD's and DO's.

I'm not sure if you remember, but research is required as a part of the curriculum at BCOM. Access to the biomedical labs at NMSU is another plus of the schools close affiliation. In all honesty I think the pluses outweigh any minuses at BCOM the more I look at the program.

Honestly, the school you get accepted to is the best DO school. Every school has its pros and cons, and it may not always be the "grass is greener on the other side". Also, by the end of the cycle, you'll know which school is right for you.

I assume OP was asking this question because they want to know if they should continue the application cycle or choose BCOM, so NO "the school you get accepted to is the best DO school" is not the answer they were looking for.

To OP, I was impressed with BCOM and got accepted there last cycle, but choose to go to a more established school. If you have the time and money to play out out the rest of the cycle, you can then compare other schools to BCOM.

I assume OP was asking this question because they want to know if they should continue the application cycle or choose BCOM, so NO "the school you get accepted to is the best DO school" is not the answer they were looking for.

To OP, I was impressed with BCOM and got accepted there last cycle, but choose to go to a more established school. If you have the time and money to play out out the rest of the cycle, you can then compare other schools to BCOM.

I think that's what I'm going to do! I'm only going to go to RVU, WesternU, and KCU if I get interviews at this point I believe. The $3000 deposit has me running a little low on travel funds to go to many more than those haha

Disclaimer: This is just my opinion going through the process at BCOM

Love the school, I believe it will be a great medical school for that area. However, the for profit status did leave a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. I understand it, I get it. I don't think it's going to effect the quality of education all that much, but when you require research and try to establish a research environment you don't want to really be for-profit and private. You close so many doors in terms of funding. I think they're establishing a health policy institute that is 503(c), which helps, but I think that have to do more in that department before research is taken seriously there. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm not sure if you remember, but research is required as a part of the curriculum at BCOM. Access to the biomedical labs at NMSU is another plus of the schools close affiliation. In all honesty I think the pluses outweigh any minuses at BCOM the more I look at the program.

Yes, I remember lol that requirement doesn't need to be completed at BCOM or NMSU.

True, NMSU has a lot of research going on but mostly it is "basic" science aka bench research. Nothing "clinical" aka nothing dealing with patients, clinical trials, etc.

Clinical research is what looks the best on the residency applications. Adding to what the above poster said, being for-profit shuts some clinical research funding away from BCOM.

Again, you don't have to do your research at BCOM. There's plenty of clinical labs in Texas that you could contact. It is not that DO students can't do research, we just need to be much more proactive in pursuing research opportunities.

Disclaimer: This is just my opinion going through the process at BCOM

Love the school, I believe it will be a great medical school for that area. However, the for profit status did leave a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. I understand it, I get it. I don't think it's going to effect the quality of education all that much, but when you require research and try to establish a research environment you don't want to really be for-profit and private. You close so many doors in terms of funding. Just my 2 cents.

I believe that part of the collaboration with NMSU is an effort to combat those shortcomings as you can do research with their PI's. Not entirely sure though!

Members don't see this ad :)

Read the second part of my sentence.

I believe that part of the collaboration with NMSU is an effort to combat those shortcomings as you can do research with their PI's. Not entirely sure though!

You are correct but I don't think any of the PI's on campus are clinical researchers. Mostly basic science which is fine.

As a hypothetical, you might be able to do some cancer cell biology research with a biology faculty member at NMSU on a particular mechanism of cancer such as p53 and get published. This would be considered basic science research.

Now imagine, doing research with a physician scientist testing out an experimental cancer drug that helps with tumor suppression in humans with lymphoma. This would be considered clinical research. I don't think NMSU has any MD/PhD's or DO/PhD's

Clinical research looks better than basic science research when applying for residency.

You are correct but I don't think any of the PI's on campus are clinical researchers. Mostly basic science which is fine.

As a hypothetical, you might be able to do some cancer cell biology research with a biology faculty member at NMSU on a particular mechanism of cancer such as p53 and get published. This would be considered basic science research.

Now imagine, doing research with a physician scientist testing out an experimental cancer drug that helps with tumor suppression in humans with lymphoma. This would be considered clinical research. I don't think NMSU has any MD/PhD's or DO/PhD's

Clinical research looks better than basic science research when applying for residency.

Hmm I may inquire about possible clinical research possibilities in the near future

Hmm I may inquire about possible clinical research possibilities in the near future

Let me know if you find any new information. Mostly of the research I have been able to find has been on this page.

http://www.research.nmsu.edu/Health

Again, basic science research is fine and will satisfy our research requirement to graduate but none of the links seem to point to clinical research.

They also apparently have an agreement with an independent research institute, Lovelace. http://krwg.org/post/burrell-college-osteopathic-medicine-nmsu-announces-partnership#stream/0

Nothing really has come of it so far though, so I imagine it's still in the early development stages.

This is a good connection to make on BCOMs part. Just as an FYI, NMSU def has good labs. But overall, I only saw a maybe a few NIH funded investigations going on, of which, many are agriculturally focused as supposed to bio medically focused. So when it's funneled down, not a lot of medical students are going to be doing impactful medical research (can't have 20 med students in a lab).

BCOM is def doin what they can which is what is important.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Someone brought up the same question on the RVU forum because RVU is opening up a school in Utah.

Strictly talking about the student experience, I think it would make a difference. Not sure about other DO schools, so I'll just talk about my experience as a first year at RVU-CO. Having the upperclassmen around is really helpful. At the beginning of the year, we get paired up with second year mentors that will help us with anything we need. We also meet up before each course and they will give us advice on how to do well in that course. We have free tutoring from the second years for all of our courses as well (they have to be top students in that course from the previous year). They share tips and go over high yield topics that the specific professor really focuses on. (The tutors get paid by the school and it's free for students to make appts with them). The previous years' students also share resources such as study guides, notes, drawings, etc. Those have been TREMENDOUSLY helpful! Right now we are in our musculoskeletal system course and not only do we have 2nd year tutors, but we also have anatomy fellows (3rd and 4th year students) helping us with dissections, along with the professors and faculty. Also, we have a weekly and test review for every test and every course. These come from the 2nd year tutors and they make up questions that will be similar to what we might see on the exam and essentially quiz us (usually iClicker format) and then go over why an answer is wrong or right (they also send those out for people who would rather look at those questions without attending the session).

I also know that recently, the 3rd years came back and talked to people about what rotations are like. Tips on which are the good or bad rotations, or which ones are harder and easier, and what you can expect from the different rotations, etc.

I don't know much about BCOMs curriculum or research, so I won't comment on that. But, from a student's perspective with courses there's only so much help a student can get from the professor. I'm sure the first graduating class will be fine, but you do have to work extra hard if you are the first graduating class since there's no one to help you. If you like the school enough, maybe these things won't matter to you. But since no one has brought it up yet, thought I'd share my thoughts on it.

Also, it's important to keep in mind that especially as the first matriculating class, you MIGHT not do well on the boards. Your rotations MIGHT not be good. There's no guarantee. Just because the school is going to kinda copy RVU's doesn't guarantee good board scores. There's a lot of resources that we have at RVU that a school won't have yet. Also, the faculty are not the same, etc. When you go to a new school, you are taking a HUGE chance.

Last edited:
I would always choose an established school over a brand new school. New Staff, New Area, no established research and especially no clinical research, no established rotations for BCOM (BCOM residencies are open to ALL medical students as well), BCOM is focusing on doing mostly rural rotations to fulfill their purpose, and no federal funding for loans or grants. Everything else has been mentioned time and time again. Keep interviewing and try to get into an established school. At least that's what I would do.

Someone brought up the same question on the RVU forum because RVU is opening up a school in Utah.

Strictly talking about the student experience, I think it would make a difference. Not sure about other DO schools, so I'll just talk about my experience as a first year at RVU-CO. Having the upperclassmen around is really helpful. At the beginning of the year, we get paired up with second year mentors that will help us with anything we need. We also meet up before each course and they will give us advice on how to do well in that course. We have free tutoring from the second years for all of our courses as well (they have to be top students in that course from the previous year). They share tips and go over high yield topics that the specific professor really focuses on. (The tutors get paid by the school and it's free for students to make appts with them). The previous years' students also share resources such as study guides, notes, drawings, etc. Those have been TREMENDOUSLY helpful! Right now we are in our musculoskeletal system course and not only do we have 2nd year tutors, but we also have anatomy fellows (3rd and 4th year students) helping us with dissections, along with the professors and faculty. Also, we have a weekly and test review for every test and every course. These come from the 2nd year tutors and they make up questions that will be similar to what we might see on the exam and essentially quiz us (usually iClicker format) and then go over why an answer is wrong or right (they also send those out for people who would rather look at those questions without attending the session).

I also know that recently, the 3rd years came back and talked to people about what rotations are like. Tips on which are the good or bad rotations, or which ones are harder and easier, and what you can expect from the different rotations, etc.

I don't know much about BCOMs curriculum or research, so I won't comment on that. But, from a student's perspective with courses there's only so much help a student can get from the professor. I'm sure the first graduating class will be fine, but you do have to work extra hard if you are the first graduating class since there's no one to help you. If you like the school enough, maybe these things won't matter to you. But since no one has brought it up yet, thought I'd share my thoughts on it.

Also, it's important to keep in mind that especially as the first matriculating class, you MIGHT not do well on the boards. Your rotations MIGHT not be good. There's no guarantee. Just because the school is going to kinda copy RVU's doesn't guarantee good board scores. There's a lot of resources that we have at RVU that a school won't have yet. Also, the faculty are not the same, etc. When you go to a new school, you are taking a HUGE chance.

Would you say as the second matriculating class the benefits of having the class ahead of us will help to alleviate some of those concerns you addressed?

Would you say as the second matriculating class the benefits of having the class ahead of us will help to alleviate some of those concerns you addressed?
I interviewed at VCOM-Auburn last year where I would have been the second class to matriculate into that school. I don't think you will have the same benefits since the first class is still learning and did not have all of the shortcuts and what not from a previous class to pass down. They will probably have notes to share and be able to tell you a little bit about the class, but usually schools are making major adjustments for the first few years of their school so I'm not sure how helpful the class ahead of you will be in that situation.

Some, but not as much as going to a school with 4+ years. Having 2+ years is important to see how the school perform with the boards. Having 4+ years is important to see how they do on their rotations. Right now, their boards and rotations are only hypothetical. I know that the first few years of RVU, they had to make a lot of adjustments, which finally led to them being a great school with proven high board score, good rotations, etc. So even as the 2nd matriculating year, you'll still face a lot of changes and uncertainty. Students of the first 4 years are essentially test subjects. Board scores is a HUGE part of landing a residency, so I wouldn't spend 200-300k on something and not have it be proven that the school can help me get a high score (granted, there will always be people who will do better or worse regardless of the norm). Also, new rotations will close and open up due to the reputation of the students. Idk how likely a new school will be to get good rotation spots without any reputation. As the 2nd matriculating and even 3rd matriculating class, there won't be any reputation yet.

Is attendance mandatory? That's the main question that you should be questioning when it comes to your preclinical years.

As for clinical sites, you should assume that they are all garbage until proven otherwise especially for a new DO school.

This. This is exactly why I chose not to attend bcom. I fell in love with this school when interviewed. I would have happily attended here over plenty of other schools like lmu, wcu, etc, or any new school. But not a really well established school.

Speaking of RVU, they didn't have these "awesome" match lists until their first few classes graduated. I know match lists aren't a perfect metric, but that's what everyone brings up when they talk about RVU.

This. This is exactly why I chose not to attend bcom. I fell in love with this school when interviewed. I would have happily attended here over plenty of other schools like lmu, wcu, etc, or any new school. But not a really well established school.

Speaking of RVU, they didn't have these "awesome" match lists until their first few classes graduated. I know match lists aren't a perfect metric, but that's what everyone brings up when they talk about RVU.

Exactly! In my second post I talked about how RVU had to make a lot of changes their first few years, which finally led them to be the school they are now. But the first few matriculating years of a new school is always iffy, the students are pretty much test subjects. Personally, I wouldn't spend 200-300k and 4 years at a school and have those uncertainties on how I might be prepared for rotation and boards.

Exactly! In my second post I talked about how RVU had to make a lot of changes their first few years, which finally led them to be the school they are now. But the first few matriculating years of a new school is always iffy, the students are pretty much test subjects. Personally, I wouldn't spend 200-300k and 4 years at a school and have those uncertainties on how I might be prepared for rotation and boards.

I agree with you. But I'd just like to reiterate that if it came down to a new school that shows a lot of promise like bcom or mucom vs a school that's established itself as a bad idea I'd pick the new school. But that's just me.

I agree with you. But I'd just like to reiterate that if it came down to a new school that shows a lot of promise like bcom or mucom vs a school that's established itself as a bad idea I'd pick the new school. But that's just me.

Haha I agree with that. At least the new schools have a chance of being great, vs a school that has repeatedly shown how bad they are. :laugh:

Haha I agree with that. At least the new schools have a chance of being great, vs a school that has repeatedly shown how bad they are. :laugh:

Would you say that personal performance on boards is more on how you prep for them (prep courses, practice throughout time as an OMS I and II) or how good the school is at prepping you through their curriculum and how they present it?

Last edited:
Would you agree that personal performance on boards is more on how you prep for them (prep courses, practice throughout time as an OMS I and II) or how good the school is at prepping you through their curriculum and how they present it?

I would say a BIG chunk is how the school prepares you. Think about it this way: the boards is like..the MCAT x10 in terms of content, level of difficulty, etc. Now think of the first 2 years spent in med school as a prep course for boards. This prep course is going to literally take 95% of your time. If you enroll in a bad prep course that doesn't adequately prepare you for boards, there's no way you can prepare for that on your own in the 5% of free time that you do have. And honestly, I don't even think anyone would want to spend whatever little free time they have to prepare for boards because their school might not have prepared them well, instead of enjoying themselves and taking a break. Not saying that BCOM won't prepare you well for the boards, it's just that no one knows yet how they will do.

Idk if BCOM offers other sources to help you with boards, but I know at RVU we are all enrolled in the Kaplan course and we can even start using that our first year. Also, you have to see if BCOM will prepare you for the COMLEX or USMLE, or both. At RVU, we are prepared for both and we are required to take both. This will be really helpful when the merger comes around and when you want to apply to MD residencies.

Not sure what other schools you are interested in or have been accepted into, but I'm only comparing these things to RVU because that's the only expose I've had. There's other great schools out there too. But it's just very iffy with these new schools, they can either be good or bad. You'll be taking a pretty big chance, and it might not turn out great. Or even if BCOM can be great later on, you guys will be the guinea pigs and might not do as well.

Would you say that personal performance on boards is more on how you prep for them (prep courses, practice throughout time as an OMS I and II) or how good the school is at prepping you through their curriculum and how they present it?
Your board performance is 98% up to you. The best prep that the school can do for you is to leave you the hell alone and let you do your thing. My school gave us the subscription to Kaplan starting in 1st year. Personally, I have have access to USMLERx and firecrackers. Gunners got to gun hard for those gains.

I would say a BIG chunk is how the school prepares you. Think about it this way: the boards is like..the MCAT x10 in terms of content, level of difficulty, etc. Now think of the first 2 years spent in med school as a prep course for boards. This prep course is going to literally take 95% of your time. If you enroll in a bad prep course that doesn't adequately prepare you for boards, there's no way you can prepare for that on your own in the 5% of free time that you do have. And honestly, I don't even think anyone would want to spend whatever little free time they have to prepare for boards because their school might not have prepared them well, instead of enjoying themselves and taking a break. Not saying that BCOM won't prepare you well for the boards, it's just that no one knows yet how they will do.

Idk if BCOM offers other sources to help you with boards, but I know at RVU we are all enrolled in the Kaplan course and we can even start using that our first year. Also, you have to see if BCOM will prepare you for the COMLEX or USMLE, or both. At RVU, we are prepared for both and we are required to take both. This will be really helpful when the merger comes around and when you want to apply to MD residencies.

Not sure what other schools you are interested in or have been accepted into, but I'm only comparing these things to RVU because that's the only expose I've had. There's other great schools out there too. But it's just very iffy with these new schools, they can either be good or bad. You'll be taking a pretty big chance, and it might not turn out great. Or even if BCOM can be great later on, you guys will be the guinea pigs and might not do as well.

That totally makes sense! I'm waiting to hear back from RVU, DMU, Western U, and KCU. Have an interview at LECOM I'll probably cancel as I don't believe that it's that big of an upgrade from BCOM. Have a bunch of other apps out there as well, but BCOMs location, facilities, and direction are more appealing than heading to the east coast imo

That totally makes sense! I'm waiting to hear back from RVU, DMU, Western U, and KCU. Have an interview at LECOM I'll probably cancel as I don't believe that it's that big of an upgrade from BCOM. Have a bunch of other apps out there as well, but BCOMs location, facilities, and direction are more appealing than heading to the east coast imo

Dude, you should attend your LECOM interview! It's not as bad of a school as everyone thinks.

If you get an offer from the schools that you mentioned, I would take those over BCOMs, except for LECOM. I'm not a fan of them. The biggest reason is because they have poor rotation sites. Especially LECOM-B. Rotations are a big deal to prepare you for step 2 of boards. Also, speaking to several residency program directors, board scores, how well you do during rotations, and LOR are the top 3 most important things they look for. So, it's important to have good rotation sites! If you are interested in BCOM, you have to keep in mind that no one knows what their rotation sites are like yet or how its going to work.

Nope I only had until middle of Nov to make the deposit! Currently it's January 20th so no way I'll make it before my deposit is due

If their deadline is middle of November, then wouldn't you not have a chance for other schools like RVU, KCU, etc? 3k is indeed a lot of money, but this will give you more time to choose the best school. Medical school will be the most important next four years of your life. I don't think you should rush your decision man!

That's why I'm limiting the schools I potentially will interview to the ones in driving distance of me and westernU! Also two MD programs

That's why I'm limiting the schools I potentially will interview to the ones in driving distance of me and westernU! Also two MD programs

I just think you shouldn't limit your opportunity at LECOM.

I agree with you about the importance of the school's pre-clinical curriculum.

Let me add that, when we say that BCOM's pre-clinical curriculum is the SAME as RVU's, it is actually the SAME. Including firecracker and Kaplan installed on the Surface Pros they give to all their students at the beginning of MS-1. From Day 1, we are getting COMLEX/USMLE style questions to study. In addition to the Kaplan qbanks, there is a Kaplan course at the end of 2nd year offered to everyone. Most importantly, there is no BS non-board material minutiae that the faculty members test on because that is their field (as with some old schools). The tests are vignette, board style from Day 1. Everything is focused on boards. I talked to about 10 MS-1's and all plan to take USMLE. Literally, BCOM has the same exact pre-clinical curriculum as RVU including ALL the outside resources RVU students have. Yes, there is not a full school of upper class students to assist us in studying but content-wise, it is the exact same. I would be part of the second class if I attended so the current first year students who do well this year will be our tutors. Free of charge if I may add and I assume RVU's tutoring is like that as well. Being part of the second class means that I am less of a guinea pig.

To be clear, I am aware of the weaknesses of BCOM: unknown quality of the 3rd year core rotations, lack of clinical research, and the for-profit status that seems to turn most people off (not me).

I just got accepted into BCOM and was very impressed. I have my CUSOM interview in a few weeks and hopefully more interviews in the future to keep my options open.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I agree with you about the importance of the school's pre-clinical curriculum.

Let me add that, when we say that BCOM's pre-clinical curriculum is the SAME as RVU's, it is actually the SAME. Including firecracker and Kaplan installed on the Surface Pros they give to all their students at the beginning of MS-1. From Day 1, we are getting COMLEX/USMLE style questions to study. In addition to the Kaplan qbanks, there is a Kaplan course at the end of 2nd year offered to everyone. Most importantly, there is no BS non-board material minutiae that the faculty members test on because that is their field (as with some old schools). The tests are vignette, board style from Day 1. Everything is focused on boards. I talked to about 10 MS-1's and all plan to take USMLE. Literally, BCOM has the same exact pre-clinical curriculum as RVU including ALL the outside resources RVU students have. Yes, there is not a full school of upper class students to assist us in studying but content-wise, it is the exact same. I would be part of the second class if I attended so the current first year students who do well this year will be our tutors. Free of charge if I may add and I assume RVU's tutoring is like that as well. Being part of the second class means that I am less of a guinea pig.

To be clear, I am aware of the weaknesses of BCOM: unknown quality of the 3rd year core rotations, lack of clinical research, and the for-profit status that seems to turn most people off (not me).

I just got accepted into BCOM and was very impressed. I have my CUSOM interview in a few weeks and hopefully more interviews in the future to keep my options open.

I think BCOM is very promising, and like I mentioned in the previous posts, I would choose BCOM over an established school with a bad reputation.

With that said, just because the curriculum is the same doesn't mean there will be same results. The professors are not the same, and the resources are not all exactly the same. It's like how different high schools having the same curriculum, but there will always be schools that will perform better and worse than others. Not same that BCOM will do worse or better, and since no one has matriculated yet, no one can say with certainty that they will do better or worse. The point is same curriculum doesn't have to equal same result.

As I mentioned in my first post, I think people going to BCOM will do fine. They just have to work harder than if it was a more established school. But there has to be a first matriculating class for every school and for some people the pros outweigh the cons.

My whole point is to bring up some issues that were not discussed before and for people to keep their options open. It's not late in the cycle yet and I do hope people have more options later on. However if it's between BCOM and another brand new school, or even an established one with a bad reputation, I would chose BCOM hands down.

I heard CUSOM has a pretty good reputation being a new school as well. Hopefully you'll have more acceptances and can chose which school is the best fit for you.

At my cusom interview, I met another person who'd been accepted to bcom. We were both like "Why am I even here?" I'd happily pick bcom over cusom.

At my cusom interview, I met another person who'd been accepted to bcom. We were both like "Why am I even here?" I'd happily pick bcom over cusom.

That is interesting. Can you explain in more detail why you would choose BCOM over CUSOM?

Playing devil's advocate, I think CUSOM the clear choice over BCOM this year because:
1. Proven board scores (5% over 700, 23% over 600, 61% over 500, and only 6% failed first attempt). 33% of their first class took USMLE with a 100% pass rate.
2. Proven, quality rotations (my #1 choice regional campus would be region 3 so I can rotate at WakeMed). I have been told that very few DO students rotate at level 1 trauma centers with MD students.
3. CUSOM is close to Duke, UNC, and Wake Forest medical schools meaning more opportunities to build connections and better chance at doing clinical research.
4. Officially attached to parent campus meaning federal loans from year 1.

I would be part of their 5th class so all the kinks should be worked out.

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with CUSOM. Could you tell me why you liked BCOM more?

Cusom kind of felt like LDP lecom with a budget. Nice facilities tbh. Their affiliation with Campbell university seemed essentially non existent. Mandatory attendance. Dress code. No in house research opportunities despite being affiliated (supposedly) with a university and their proximity to some big cities.

SDN raves about getting to rotate at wake, but there's only like a 5-10% chance you'll be one of the few that get to do that. At least that's how it was explained at my interview. And everyone will want to do it. Apparently they did well on their boards so there's that though. I would have attended if I got the scholarship.

It's worth checking out if you qualify for the scholarship. I would put bcom and especially mucom above cusom on a new school tier list. Keep in mind my impression of cusom is definitely not the norm on SDN. I just personally thought it was overhyped.

That is interesting. Can you explain in more detail why you would choose BCOM over CUSOM?

Playing devil's advocate, I think CUSOM the clear choice over BCOM this year because:
1. Proven board scores (5% over 700, 23% over 600, 61% over 500, and only 6% failed first attempt). 33% of their first class took USMLE with a 100% pass rate.
2. Proven, quality rotations (my #1 choice regional campus would be region 3 so I can rotate at WakeMed). I have been told that very few DO students rotate at level 1 trauma centers with MD students.
3. CUSOM is close to Duke, UNC, and Wake Forest medical schools meaning more opportunities to build connections and better chance at doing clinical research.
4. Officially attached to parent campus meaning federal loans from year 1.

I would be part of their 5th class so all the kinks should be worked out.

I can see your points and appreciate them. Private loans for this year do knock bcom down to be fair. I like bcom's mandatory research. In regards to research, cusom felt the way some other DO schools say "Well hey we're near some places so maybe if you try hard and get lucky..."

Again, most people on this forum love cusom. Just my opinion. Would've attended if I got the scholarship.