WCUCOM pros and cons?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lolaaa

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I got accepted to WCUCOM for Fall 2022. I was wondering if someone can tell me their unbiased opinion about the school. Is it difficult to get into residencies after graduating? Why do they have a high attrition rate? Why do people say to put WCUCOM as a last resort in case I don't get accepted somewhere else? The people I spoke with from the school were all nice and supportive so far, but I'm not sure if there's a problem with their resources in terms of prepping for COMLEX and the steps.

Members don't see this ad.

I would like to see responses too because I am comparing this school and VCOM L

I would also like to hear more about this. @Goro , @gyngyn can you please share your views. Also current students please share with us your perspectives of the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would also like to hear more about this. @Goro , @gyngyn can you please share your views. Also current students please share with us your perspectives of the school.
I am no expert on DO schools. I wish I were.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much for your responses :) I am glad WCUCOM is in a good state now

It is good for the most part. Our professors are very nice and helpful. Faculty in general is nice. However, they keep increasing their class size each year. Next year I've heard rumors that it's going up to 220? Also, the area is pretty rural with not much to do. I'm not sure if this holds much weight because I don't know what other D.O. schools are like, but there is a pretty big emphasis on osteopathic medicine and it's one of our harder classes (in my opinion). Other than that, I don't think I have anything bad to say about the school.

Reactions: 1 users
I thought Hattiesburg is a city. How rural is it?
Also I saw a long list of hospital affiliates in their websites. Are there many clinical rotation sites?

I thought Hattiesburg is a city. How rural is it?
Also I saw a long list of hospital affiliates in their websites. Are there many clinical rotation sites?
Hattiesburg is not rural, since it has a population of around 50K. It is a college town which has both WCU and the University of Southern Miss in it. Overall, it reminds me of Bloomington, Indiana which is another college town. Rural to me is like Lebanon, OR (Western U) or Harrogate, TN (LMU). I've been to a number of cities where various DO schools are located and my time in Hattiesburg was enjoyable particularly since you are only about 90 minutes from New Orleans and the Gulf Coast.

Use this web site to gather more info on medical school locations (both MD and DO)

Reactions: 1 user
It's a good DO school better than most DO schools , although they are increasing class size(to 200 not 220), I think they are helping to increase in state residencies(at gulfport memorial) and are increasing research opportunities for students(at the National Diabetes and Obesity Research Institute down in Biloxi among other things). The school seems to match pretty well with various specialties and programs such as Cleveland Clinic, Dartmouth and Mayo represented as well over the past few years. Also there is nothing rural about Hattiesburg, its home to the second largest medical center in the state(affiliated with the school) which a level 2 trauma center. Its in a way better location than like 90% of DO schools. Rotations at the school are site dependent but most students get a good mix of wards/preceptor based rotations.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
To reiterate what Futuredoctor5000 is saying...The two major WCU pro's for me are the competitive tuition cost and the sheer number of residencies MS is opening all across the state. As you approach graduation, matching will become a major concern/stress element, particularily in light of all of the new medical school openings.

RVU is within a few miles of me, but I do not recommend it to potential students due to the tuition cost, for-profit model, and the fact that the number of residency spots in Colorado have been stagnant for years. Refer to the link below to see all of the medical residencies MS is opening.

Reactions: 1 users
To reiterate what Futuredoctor5000 is saying...The two major WCU pro's for me are the competitive tuition cost and the sheer number of residencies MS is opening all across the state. As you approach graduation, matching will become a major concern/stress element, particularily in light of all of the new medical school openings.

RVU is within a few miles of me, but I do not recommend it to potential students due to the tuition cost, for-profit model, and the fact that the number of residency spots in Colorado have been stagnant for years. Refer to the link below to see all of the medical residencies MS is opening.

Yes and the school has a lot to do with this, the people opening the residencies are faculty and affiliated with our school, it gives students a leeway when something goes wrong and you can use these programs a back up at the least if something goes wrong and you dont match. We are also affiliated with a program in NY that has everything from derm, optho, OB, surgery etc and our students match there quite frequently.
Oh and I forgot to mention that the state heavily supports WCUCOM and its mission and UMMC the state MD school is very friendly to WCUCOM, we have a graduate in almost every single specialty at UMMC(a large academic center) which helps as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
It is good for the most part. Our professors are very nice and helpful. Faculty in general is nice. However, they keep increasing their class size each year. Next year I've heard rumors that it's going up to 220? Also, the area is pretty rural with not much to do. I'm not sure if this holds much weight because I don't know what other D.O. schools are like, but there is a pretty big emphasis on osteopathic medicine and it's one of our harder classes (in my opinion). Other than that, I don't think I have anything bad to say about the school.
At my school we have 1hr OMM per week and it's really low stress. Most people cram for the exams the night before and everyone passes. One note though, we had to take our shirts off a fair bit first year. I've heard some schools don't do that?

At my school we have 1hr OMM per week and it's really low stress. Most people cram for the exams the night before and everyone passes. One note though, we had to take our shirts off a fair bit first year. I've heard some schools don't do that?
This is how it was as WCUCOM as well, I believe it was only 3 hours a week of omm lab and lecture combined.

@Goro Any feedback regarding VCOM - Carolinas? I am debating between WCUCOM and VCOM - CCs so would appreciate your thoughts.