pros/cons to summer abroad, but applying late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cocoapelli

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having a really hard time weighing my options right now. I'm in my junior year and want to apply to a research program (med micro) in asia this summer. I was planning on taking two summer courses, which I can take next summer instead (and technically graduate during the summer), but I'd be looking at a 3.74 gpa by the end of the summer with those classes instead of a 3.72.
My main concern however is when I'll be able to start the application process. It seems like everyone recommends starting the summer before senior year, but I have no idea if I'll be able to do that in SE asia. I'm even considering delaying applying for a year, I was stupid and took all my harder classes junior year so I think I could improve my gpa, and then I would either work as a cna for a year and volunteer or do service abroad (again). I would really enjoy either of these options, but I would rather not delay for a year.

I am extremely grateful for any advice anyone can give me, I don't spend a lot of time in pre-med circles so I feel like I never know where I stand :/

Members don't see this ad.

The program is late may to early august. I will have internet, and so I could work on apps during it (or try to start before and finish early). I wouldn't be able to meet with anyone to ask for letters of recommendation though. Should I attempt to get those before I go?

Members don't see this ad :)
You would need to get the transcripts sent and LORs collected before you go. You can access the AMCAS application in May, completely fill it out, and assign a trusted family member to pay the fee and submit it for you in June, so the transcripts can get verified. On SDN, you can access this year's Secondary essay prompts, of which 95% will be the same in 2011, and write them out while you are abroad during the month of June. When Secondary invitations are sent out, with the prewritten essays, you should be able to return them very quickly. So long as they are all returned by the end of August (IMO the end of the average time to be "Complete" at each school) I think you would be fine, and probably you'd have them all in long before that.

Okay. Thank you so much for your advice!! :)

Last edited: