Prospective 2008 Harvard Post-Bacc. Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dancingdoctor

Dancing since 1985
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
(Admins: please dont move this thread to the official Harvard thread; this thread is specifically for those applying to Harvard Extension School in 2008, thanks)

I figured to jump the gun and start the Harvard 08 thread. Who here is planning on applying to Harvard's post-bacc program for fall 2008? If so, let's get acquainted! I hope to see you all in 08!

name, if comfortable (first only please)
where do you come from? undergrad/grad school; which? major?
hobbies/interests?
are you in a unique, non-traditional situation? If so, we'd love to hear it!
aspirations
anything else interesting about yourself?
any comments/questions for the gang?
are you on the notorious facebook? PM me if you are!

I'll start...

Lisa
I'm from North Carolina State University- Biology and Spanish majors
I enjoy ballroom/latin dancing; I dance socially and competitively, I love being outdoors
I hope to attend Harvard Extension School (w/ sponsorship ideally), and then continue on to obtain an MD or DO degree.
I'm very excited to move back up north!

:welcome:

Members don't see this ad.

Name: Bryan
Current location: Near Milwaukee, Wisconsin
UGrad: University of Wisconsin - Madison
Majors: (1) Finance (2) Accounting (3) Ugrad certificate in math
Graduated: May 2008 (hopefully)

I guess you can’t put me in neither the non-trad nor the unique category. Many people are taken aback when they see my background, because it doesn’t follow the standard pre-med gambit. Truthfully, I have wanted to go to med school for as long as I can remember. And volunteering at a hospital since my freshman year in college only strengthened this desire. I have never taken a college-level physics, biology, or chem class in my life - but I have taken math up through the graduate level. I feel very comfortable with the sciences though. In taking so much math, I have derived every physics formula known to man. I have also dabbled in computational biology.

I always read in the New York Times and the WSJ how docs admit that a mismanagement of costs and investment decisions have allowed for such a low standard of care in this country. I also draw much of my inspiration from the current CEO of Walgreens. He was an accountant first and a PharmD second. Is that a coincidence Walgreens has been a market leader and shows no sign of slowing?

Aspirations:
STEP 1: Diploma at HES in Pre-Med Studies by June 2009.
STEP 2: MD/MBA (Drexel, Northwestern, Cornell, Boston U, etc.)
STEP 3: A founder of a successful managed care health firm.

Questions?

I might as well shoot. When should I apply for the Diploma program? I want to allow myself enough time to find an apartment/settle before gen chem starts in June 2008. But I feel like applying in Sept./Oct. is a bit too early. Help?

Hi Bryan! That is a good question. I would assume that you would apply next summer, but dont take my word on that; I believe you first need to obtain your Bachelors degree first before applying. You should ask about that on the official Harvard thread if no one can give a definite answer on here soon!

I know this post is a little dated, but I am applying in 08!

Name: Lauren
Undergrad: Brown University, majoring in Ethnic Studies
Graduating: May 2009
Hobbies/interests: LOVE traveling to new places, eating spicy foods, watching movies (except for westerns), starting new challenges, reading, discussing ethnic identity development, the list goes on...

A unique, non-traditional situation: I guess I would label myself non-traditional in that I'm choosing take my pre-med classes outside of undergrad. I found that since the restrictions for taking various classes at my school are near invisible, I didn't want to jeopardize an enjoyable undergrad experience with taking poorly taught, basic science courses. I've been working part-time in more than one job since my sophomore year and am involved in some very time-consuming extracurriculars so taking pre-med courses just didn't fit into the equation for me at this time (Just postponing the dream until after graduation).

Aspirations: Here's the updated list for now, mostly career-related:
1. To earn a Fulbright Fellowship this upcoming school year so that I can finally study abroad next year (If this doesn't pull through, straight on to #2)
2. To complete the HES HCP (with sponsorship) in a max of 2 years
3. Earn my MD degree, potentially gaining an MPH as well (need to think this one through a bit more)
4. After residency and fellowship, become a practicing neonatologist

Any comments/questions for the gang? First of all, I thank you Lisa for initiating this thread! It's really good to have an outlet like this where we can all start simple introductions! Here's one question for all: How did you decide to apply to HES HCP?

Are you on the notorious facebook? Yes, it's such a guilty pleasure but I can't help but check it at least once a week.

For Radian/Bryan (which do you want to go by?): in terms of looking for apartments, I would say start looking now since most schools have started their summer sessions and lots of students have moved out of their off-campus apartments (Harvard College's commencement is this week so all those seniors will be gone within a week). Check sites like Craigslist but be cautious. Also, definitely check out the advice in the following thread, "Official: Harvard 2008": http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=490268. Once you're pretty sure of a space you can move into, I'd say go ahead and apply!