Prospective Aud student- GRE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maureen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
q

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I can't offer much advise being that I just applied for Fall 2o14 admissions and have not heard back. However, from what I have heard, most schools are looking for around a 300 combined. You should be able to do that with studying. I took advantage of the free online tests through many of the GRE prep websites (which I see you're doing already) and I bought BenchPrep on Groupon (I think it's still there). Benchprep is nice because it is inexpensive but offers a calendar. This allowed me to space out my studying and really focus on certain areas. I scored poorly on my SAT during high school so I expected similar results on the GRE, and I was pleasantly surprised. I think it was the studying that made the difference for me! You will find your GPA is above average at most schools so that will definitely help! Do you know about EdFind yet?

Thanks for the thoughtful response!
Did you see your GRE scores increase as you studied more? I would assume they would but have also heard that "studying doesn't help". I will definitely look into Benchprep. I'm struggling with the whole long term studying thing. Like everyone else, i'm busy with school, work, but also soccer. I plan on taking the GRE multiple times this summer. Clearly I struggle in both categories, but hopefully 3 months is long enough for me to improve.
What schools did you apply to? I'm so jealous you're a senior - i'm getting extremely impatient!
And yes, I have looked into Edfind (probably too much). I've noticed that my gpa is higher than most averages but I figured with my struggling GRE score, it may not be high enough!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the thoughtful response!
Did you see your GRE scores increase as you studied more? I would assume they would but have also heard that "studying doesn't help". I will definitely look into Benchprep. I'm struggling with the whole long term studying thing. Like everyone else, i'm busy with school, work, but also soccer. I plan on taking the GRE multiple times this summer. Clearly I struggle in both categories, but hopefully 3 months is long enough for me to improve.
What schools did you apply to? I'm so jealous you're a senior - i'm getting extremely impatient!
And yes, I have looked into Edfind (probably too much). I've noticed that my gpa is higher than most averages but I figured with my struggling GRE score, it may not be high enough!

I wish I could remember the scores I got on my practice tests. I remember being disheartened after the first one I took, so I'm guessing it wasn't at the averages of the schools I was interested in at the time. I ended up getting 155 on both sections which for me was a success! I did my studying over the summer, because it is so hard to manage everything. I think a big part of the test is feeling confident and knowing the structure, and I think that's what helped me improve my scores (and of course review of material I hadn't seen in 6 years!) I loved researching schools and figuring everything out, but it is also really exciting to be completely done with applications. It sounds like you have a good start, so senior year should be a lot less stressful for you than others who aren't as on top of things. I ended up applying to NOAC, U of Colorado Boulder, Central Michigan U, Syracuse U, U of Florida, Towson University and U of Memphis. Now I'm eagerly awaiting the letters!

That's great to hear your score significantly improved after studying. Thanks again for the advice. I'm also looking at U of CO-Boulder and Towson U! Best of luck to you. Let me know when you hear:)

I can completely relate, it's as if I wrote this! Good luck to you. I'm having a hard time narrowing down schools because I haven't taken my GRE yet, but the practice tests have not been so good. They also all want around the same scores! I too am banking on my high GPA.