Prospects in Germany

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

er1945

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering applying to German med schools. I have been learning German for over two years and I am still trying to improve.

It seems that no one in the forum has mentioned the prospects in Germany. Will international students (non-eu citizens) who graduated from German schools be able to work there?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I am considering applying to German med schools. I have been learning German for over two years and I am still trying to improve.

It seems that no one in the forum has mentioned the prospects in Germany. Will international students (non-eu citizens) who graduated from German schools be able to work there?

Thanks.

There are plenty of threads on this topic. You just need to search more thoroughly.

As for being able to work there, yes, it's possible. First and foremost, you definitely need to have a high level of German. What's your current level at? Secondly, you will need to get a visa. Unlike other European countries, Germany is stricter on the language requirement. I would look into this and contact prospective hospitals directly.

Any international medical graduate, whether you've studied in Germany or not, can apply for a training program in Germany. The difference is that if you've graduated from a medical school in the EU, then you can directly apply for a permanent medical license after having completed the medical german exam. If you haven't studied in the EU, then you have to take an exam called the "Approbationsprüfung" or "Kenntnisprüfung" in order to get your medical license.

Apart from this, you can also apply to whichever specialty you like. Some specialties (Neurosurgery, Dermatology, ENT, Radiology, Orthopaedics, Pathology) are very competitive and you may need experience in a broad specialty like Internal Medicine or General Surgery in order to get a place in that specialty.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are plenty of threads on this topic. You just need to search more thoroughly.

As for being able to work there, yes, it's possible. First and foremost, you definitely need to have a high level of German. What's your current level at? Secondly, you will need to get a visa. Unlike other European countries, Germany is stricter on the language requirement. I would look into this and contact prospective hospitals directly.
Are you in Germany right now? What about if you graduated from an American medical school but never finished your training but want to go back years later?

Any international medical graduate, whether you've studied in Germany or not, can apply for a training program in Germany. The difference is that if you've graduated from a medical school in the EU, then you can directly apply for a permanent medical license after having completed the medical german exam. If you haven't studied in the EU, then you have to take an exam called the "Approbationsprüfung" or "Kenntnisprüfung" in order to get your medical license.

Apart from this, you can also apply to whichever specialty you like. Some specialties (Neurosurgery, Dermatology, ENT, Radiology, Orthopaedics, Pathology) are very competitive and you may need experience in a broad specialty like Internal Medicine or General Surgery in order to get a place in that specialty.
Are you in Germany right now? If so, what area are you training in?