Prosth 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
howz prostho at bu?? did anyone apply there??

Members don't see this ad.

Since most of the schools are done with their interviews can you guys please post acceptances and rejections?
Congratulations to patata on his acceptance at UCSF.
Any other people accepted anywhere else?

Thanks.

Since most of the schools are done with their interviews can you guys please post acceptances and rejections?
Congratulations to patata on his acceptance at UCSF.
Any other people accepted anywhere else?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just email the directors! Ask them! But you may wana hold off til your offered an interview first!

Couple more rejections, this time from Maryland and Indiana ...
I think that most of the programs already made the decisions now all we can expect are rejection letters
GL

Keep an eye out for open positions as people dont always accept!!!

Anyone going to ACP meeting in San Diego?????:smuggrin:

Couple more rejections, this time from Maryland and Indiana ...
I think that most of the programs already made the decisions now all we can expect are rejection letters
GL

hey indiana is still interviewing students. its not done yet, so don't loose courage. have faith in god. they will do some thing good for us.

by the way did u get interview from indiana ? if yes then can u plz. gv me some tips for interview day or its procedures!

I called and was told that IOWA will not start the applicant reviewing till December 1st, when almost all other dental school has finished offering seats.

Any people applying next year after reading this thread topic or no? Any concerns up for discussion?

I am, I decided too late this year and was only able to apply for USC and Pittsburgh, got a interview at USC but after reading the post and doing my own research about the program I cancelled my interview. Next year I plan to apply for prostho again but have not decided where yet. How long before of the deadline do you guys send your applications? I got my 2 weeks before the deadline at Pittsburgh and on the same day that I sent my application some of you posted that the residents have been selected already.
I am looking for program with good surgical implant on the curriculum, any advices????
Thanks

one more rejection from Marquette uni. , wisconsin. :(
hey guys, plz. post who all accepted to the prostho. program for the year 2010.

Theres a list above of the programs that have made offers. If any more updates please add to this list by cut/paste the selection and add yours on there! I dont know more programs that that right now

Members don't see this ad :)
Any people applying next year after reading this thread topic or no? Any concerns up for discussion?

I am, I decided too late this year and was only able to apply for USC and Pittsburgh, got a interview at USC but after reading the post and doing my own research about the program I cancelled my interview. Next year I plan to apply for prostho again but have not decided where yet. How long before of the deadline do you guys send your applications? I got my 2 weeks before the deadline at Pittsburgh and on the same day that I sent my application some of you posted that the residents have been selected already.
I am looking for program with good surgical implant on the curriculum, any advices????
Thanks

Rochester
Tufts
Harvard
North Carolina
U Washington (from what Nahari is saying)
University of Maryland
UCSF
Ohio state
Pittsburgh
UF
UIC
Iowa
Wisconsin

hey guys who all got accepted to above schools, can u plz. write down in front of the name of school.

Rochester
Tufts
Harvard
North Carolina
University of Maryland
UCSF - patata,
Ohio state
Pittsburgh
UF
UIC
Iowa
Wisconsin

hey guys who all got accepted to above schools, can u plz. write down in front of the name of school.

Rochester
Tufts
Harvard
North Carolina
University of Maryland
UCSF - patata,
Ohio state
Pittsburgh
UF
UIC
Iowa
Wisconsin

Congratulations to those who got accepted, :luck: , :luck:and :xf: for those who are still waiting for the reply.

hey guys who all got accepted to above schools, can u plz. write down in front of the name of school, likewise i write for patata.

Thanks
A good program is University of Florids where they allow you to place implants and they also let you send out lab work(if you dislike lab work). :idea:

Regarding USC, don't be discouraged by my previoues post. Some people do finish in 3 years but the avg is 3.5. I guess it depends on your skills and your luck of not having complicated cases so you can finish on time. The directors are so good and all Calif Prosthodontist who made it in Beverly Hills and high end dental offices in Calif are from USC...so it is a pretty strong program.

Congratulations to all on their acceptance...Patata got the best one with 0 tuition and stipends from UCSF..lucky you..I wish I applied there.:luck:

I guess it depends on your skills and your luck of not having complicated cases so you can finish on time.

Isn't that kind of the point in doing a Pros residency, getting experience and knowledge of how to treat complicated cases??

Isn't that kind of the point in doing a Pros residency, getting experience and knowledge of how to treat complicated cases??
Yes it is. But, in a program where the patients are not transferrable and you have to finish all your cases like what I was saying above....if you have a patient that spend 2 years in Ortho, then starts doing the implants, where you need at least 6 months if everything goes well,,,sometimes some implants fail and you have to start all over..then final restorations and adjustments...well, you do the math....of course finishing up the cases make you learn more...but some of them really stretch out. I see that in private practice, where it takes years to finish a case if it involves lots of specialties...in residency...you have only 3 years to finish the cases...so that's what I meant in the comment above.:laugh:

A good program is University of Florids where they allow you to place implants and they also let you send out lab work(if you dislike lab work). :idea:

Regarding USC, don't be discouraged by my previoues post. Some people do finish in 3 years but the avg is 3.5. I guess it depends on your skills and your luck of not having complicated cases so you can finish on time. The directors are so good and all Calif Prosthodontist who made it in Beverly Hills and high end dental offices in Calif are from USC...so it is a pretty strong program.

Congratulations to all on their acceptance...Patata got the best one with 0 tuition and stipends from UCSF..lucky you..I wish I applied there.:luck:

I know the Rochester also allow the prosth residents to insert implants, and they put much emphasis on implant restoration.

At most prosth programs you will be required to finish you're big cases therefore typically end up staying 3.5yrs or so. So the reality is know that going into residency and suck it up! :D

There is a difference between being allowed to place implants and having a heavy focus on implant surgery and restoration. The trend now days is to be a surgical prosthodontist. More and more you see horribly placed implants by oral surgeons and periodontists that are a pain in the butt to restore. So it goes back to the old saying, if you want something done right do it yourself. Should everyone be placing their own implants? Absolutley not! But if a prosthodontic program provides you the FORMAL training to place 75-150 implants during residency CORRECTLY then you can do it better than most of the perio and OS. (some of the perio and OS place perfect implants so I dont want to give them all a bad rep)

Prosth programs are changing now days and you need to know which type of prosthodontist you want to be. If you want to be a true prosthodontist and dont want to do any surgery when you are in private practice then you should chose a program that focuses more on lab work. Although people knock the lab work it is critical in being an excellent dentist. One thing you find when you are in prosth residency is that most labs do not produce work that are up to your standards. Those that do charge $70 per tooth for a wax up and $450 per pfm crown, making them unrealistic to use during residency. If you have ever tried relining a full arch temp you know how difficult it can be. Having done your wax up and made the temps yourself you have a better understanding of the contours, emergence occlusion etc, turning a 2hr temp reline into 30min. After your first year of residency you will realize the additional skills you have gained from doing your lab work. You understand the tooth anatomy which you never learned in dental school and can adjust crap temps you get back from the lab to have proper line angles in no time. So sending out labwork is not always a good thing.

VA washington is done guys

Rochester
Tufts
Harvard
North Carolina
University of Maryland
UCSF - patata,
Ohio state
Pittsburgh
UF
UIC
Iowa
Wisconsin

any body knows about USC prostho prog. ? how many spots they hv and how many they already filled ?

Rochester
Tufts
Harvard
North Carolina
University of Maryland
UCSF - patata,
Ohio state
Pittsburgh
UF
UIC
Iowa
Wisconsin
VA washington
Michigan
Indiana

Last edited:
any body knows about USC prostho prog. ? how many spots they hv and how many they already filled ?

USC has 6 spots. They accept a lot of International dentists(from Spain, Germany, Korea and the middle East.) It is a very strong and demanding program.lots of lab. They have 2 co directors. They require you to finish all your cases..so that's why their students stay longer. They believe that if you finish your cases from a-z that will really give you a great educational experience. They focus on implants and fM cases. However, you occasionally place implants(on limited bases )...i think they focus on the restorative part but you team up with a perio resident to work the implants..........Expensive school.

I don't think they sent out acceptance letters,yet...good luck to you and let us know if you get anything.:D

USC has 6 spots. They accept a lot of International dentists(from Spain, Germany, Korea and the middle East.) It is a very strong and demanding program.lots of lab. They have 2 co directors. They require you to finish all your cases..so that's why their students stay longer. They believe that if you finish your cases from a-z that will really give you a great educational experience. They focus on implants and fM cases. However, you occasionally place implants(on limited bases )...i think they focus on the restorative part but you team up with a perio resident to work the implants..........Expensive school.

I don't think they sent out acceptance letters,yet...good luck to you and let us know if you get anything.:D

thanks for the information tamtam. hv u applied at USC ? did u get interview from them ?
I also wanted to apply at loma linda but i was late , n i missed dead line for loma linda. sometimes i think its littlebit hard for girls to get into pros. residency.
How abt u ? n where r u from ?

Last edited:
and I was the only girl in the interview for wisconsin pros. So, i thought i had good chance, but i was wrong, they selected all boys in their program. so, sometimes i think its littlebit hard for girls to get into pros. residency.

Here's an idea, maybe they were better applicants than you?!? Perhaps they are interested in taking the best applicants regardless of race/gender, OH MY what a concept!!! In my mind that's the truest form of non-discrimination, take the best applicants, regardless of race, gender, etc...

It's funny that everyone talks about equality and fairness but as in your own statement, you felt that you "had a good chance" because you were the only girl?!? So is it fair that you should have been "given" a spot, regardless of your qualifications, because of your gender or are you only interested in "fairness" if it benefits you?

Instead of implying that it was gender discrimination as the reason you didn't get accepted, how about critically evaluating your application and look for some ways to improve...

Last edited:
Here's an idea, maybe they were better applicants than you?!? Perhaps they are interested in taking the best applicants regardless of race/gender, OH MY what a concept!!! In my mind that's the truest form of non-discrimination, take the best applicants, regardless of race, gender, etc...

It's funny that everyone talks about equality and fairness but as in your own statement, you felt that you "had a good chance" because you were the only girl?!? So is it fair that you should have been "given" a spot, regardless of your qualifications, because of your gender or are you only interested in "fairness" if it benefits you?

Instead of implying that it was gender discrimination as the reason you didn't get accepted, how about critically evaluating your application and look for some ways to improve...

I mention this because in previous post some one has mentioned about her bad experience in rochester pros. even those people told her that they don't like girls in their program. that's y i said so. I did not said that because of gender , i had good chance, but even my interview and practical exam were also good, I strongly believes that there should not be any gender differences in selecting candidate. Infact they should see their hand skills.

And i also don't have bad feelings for wisconsin people, infact I LIKE wisconsin people THE MOST among all, their director was so much kind, i hv great respect for him (Dr. ziebert). he is simply great person. Even their other staff members and residents over there were also so much friendly. I had great time during my visit. I am still hoping for the best:xf:

I agree with eric275 on this.

Why you don't see many girls doing Prosth??? well this is probably because there is more males than females in dentistry at this time, we know that more and more girls are getting into the profession and maybe it will change overtime.
Another point is amount of time that a residency in Prosth, usually requires from one who wants to do prosth. Most applicants decide after some years of practice however if you have a family (kids,wife or husband) this decision will effect all, and most of the female doctors just don't wanna put the effort and time in a residency on that stage of their lives.
I know some females prosthodontists and some did straight after dental school and some did before the have a big family. The ones that did straight from dental school agreed that more clinical experience before the residency would help.

Just to add my 2 cents here at UCSF I see a great number of female candidates accepted, right now there are 4 of them and i know 2 who graduated this year. Also many of the faculty( both males and females) are UCSf graduates, so I guess its just the best candidates among who apply and who get into, I honestly don see any discrimination. Marland, New Jersey were also other schools where i met with a high number of female PGs.

I agree with eric275 on this.

Why you don't see many girls doing Prosth??? well this is probably because there is more males than females in dentistry at this time, we know that more and more girls are getting into the profession and maybe it will change overtime.
Another point is amount of time that a residency in Prosth, usually requires from one who wants to do prosth. Most applicants decide after some years of practice however if you have a family (kids,wife or husband) this decision will effect all, and most of the female doctors just don't wanna put the effort and time in a residency on that stage of their lives.
I know some females prosthodontists and some did straight after dental school and some did before the have a big family. The ones that did straight from dental school agreed that more clinical experience before the residency would help.

LSU is done also and BU haven`t made any decision yet
Rochester
Tufts
Harvard
North Carolina
University of Maryland
UCSF - patata,
Ohio state
Pittsburgh
UF
UIC
Iowa
Wisconsin
VA washington
Michigan
Indiana

Georgia is done....

Rochester
Tufts
Harvard
North Carolina
University of Maryland
UCSF - patata,
Ohio state
Pittsburgh
UF
UIC
Iowa
Wisconsin
VA washington
Michigan
Indiana
LSU

its too late now but finally i got admission into indiana university prostho. program...

does anybody knw some one there ? becoz i am very new for indiana university.

Does anybody have an idea regarding finding out open positions for the residency programs? How to go about it, etc? Any help will be appreciated

I was in top of the waiting list. Actually they sent me e-mail saying I am selected as Alternate No. 1 candidate. So, as one seat became available they called me.
But i guess if u wann to know abt availabe positions then call or e-mail secretary of the individual program.

its too late now but finally i got admission into indiana university prostho. program...

does anybody knw some one there ? becoz i am very new for indiana university.

I am very very very happy for you!!!!!!!!!!!congratulations my friend.:laugh: I am glad that things are going well for you finally..Do they offer stipends?

I am very very very happy for you!!!!!!!!!!!congratulations my friend.:laugh: I am glad that things are going well for you finally..Do they offer stipends?

Thanks dear, no they don't offer stipend to international students. but I hv heard that they do offer that to 1 or 2 DDS student. Anyways t abt u ? wr u going finally ?

Thanks dear, no they don't offer stipend to international students. but I hv heard that they do offer that to 1 or 2 DDS student. Anyways t abt u ? wr u going finally ?

I am cancelling my seat maybe these coming 2 weeks..we decided as a family that we cannot afford me going back to school...I am disappointed..but I have to do what is right for the family..I wish you all the luck.

I am cancelling my seat maybe these coming 2 weeks..we decided as a family that we cannot afford me going back to school...I am disappointed..but I have to do what is right for the family..I wish you all the luck.

May be You took right decision for ur family. But I am sure u will afford this in future. And ur dreams will come true. I will pray to god, u will get wt u wann.

May be You took right decision for ur family. But I am sure u will afford this in future. And ur dreams will come true. I will pray to god, u will get wt u wann.

Thank you very much for your kind words..I really appreciate it:oops: I will pray to God that you will be the best prosthodontist ever...keep in touch!