***Prosthodontics Official 2024 PASS/Interviews/Match/Non-Match***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck everyone, my program I believe just started looking at applications last week.

Congrats. Can you kindly share which schools have you been invited to ?
Thanks! I've had interview invitations from Boston, Alabama, and NYU so far. The last two was emailed to me 3 days ago
By the way if any one has any info about interveiws of these three schools pleaaaase share with me I deeply appreciate it guys
I know nothing about the interview details!

Last edited:
Thanks! I've had interview invitations from Boston, Alabama, and NYU so far. The last two was emailed to me 3 days ago
By the way if any one has any info about interveiws of these three schools pleaaaase share with me I deeply appreciate it guys
I know nothing about the interview details!
Thanks for the input. It’s my first cycle, so I don’t have any idea about the interviews myself, but I’ve heard that Alabama has a bench exam too, not sure about that.

Reactions: 1 user
Good luck everyone, my program I believe just started looking at applications last week.
Fingers crossed. Can you kindly tell us about your program and how is it ? It’s pros and cons.

Fingers crossed. Can you kindly tell us about your program and how is it ? It’s pros and cons.
Sure.

Pros:
- Extremely clinical intensive (could be a con to some people)
- Didactically sound
- Large amounts of resources
- Positive culture/environment
- Mix of young and older attendings
- Can be as surgical or non-surgical as you like
- Has digital and plans on getting more digital
- Aesthetically driven (photography, presentations, etc)
- Paid

Cons:
- Very intensive work environment (lots of lab work, you will not leave at 5 PM ever so this could be a pro to some people)
- Digital not as strong as some very digitally oriented programs
- A bit disorganized in terms of program structure
- Some attendings are very biased on certain restorative approaches
- Very heavily reliant on resident drive (if you are looking for work/life balance, this it probably not a great program for you)
- Lots of removable (there's a lot of everything else as well, but just a LOT of removable; could be a pro as well to some people)
- Limited spots

There is probably a couple more for both pro/cons, but these are some off the top of my head.

Sure.

Pros:
- Didactically sound
- Paid

Cons:
- Very intensive work environment (lots of lab work, you will not leave at 5 PM ever so this could be a pro to some people)
- Very heavily reliant on resident drive (if you are looking for work/life balance, this it probably not a great program for you)
- Lots of removable (there's a lot of everything else as well, but just a LOT of removable; could be a pro as well to some people)
- Limited spots

There is probably a couple more for both pro/cons, but these are some off the top of my head.
Thanks for the info bro! May I ask which school you are ?

Thanks for the info bro! May I ask which school you are ?
Since I most likely will be seeing some of the people here during interviews, I'd like to keep things somewhat anonymous just for the sake of the interview process. However, I am at one of the VA programs if that helps.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your valuable input. As you are in a Prosthodontics Program. Do you have an idea about what
Sure.

Pros:
- Didactically sound
- Paid

Cons:
- Limited spots

Thank you for the valuable input. As you’re currently in a program, do you have an idea what programs look for in a potential candidate ? Like top 2-3 factors ?

Updated list with Alabama:

University of Alabama at Birmingham - 22/9 (in person)
Loma Linda University -
University of California at Los Angeles -
University of Southern California -
University of Connecticut -
Nova Southeastern University -
University of Florida -
Georgia Regents University (Augusta Univ) -
University of Illinois at Chicago -
Indiana University - 20/9 (in person)
University of Iowa -
University of Louisville -
Louisiana State University -
University of Maryland -
Boston University - 30/8
Harvard University -
Tufts University -
University of Michigan -
University of Minnesota -
Rutgers School of Dental Medicine -
Columbia University -
New York University - 19/9, 22/9
University at Buffalo, The State University of New York -
Ohio State University -
University of Pennsylvania -
University of Pittsburgh -
University of Tennessee Health Science Center -
Texas A&M University College of Dentistry -
University of Texas at San Antonio -
UT Houston- 25/9 (in person)
Marquette University -
University of Washington - 21/9, 22/9 (in person)
UNC- 20/9, 21/9 (in person)

is it normal to have only one interview now even if you applied to around 17 schools ? this is exhausting

Thank you for your valuable input. As you are in a Prosthodontics Program. Do you have an idea about what

Thank you for the valuable input. As you’re currently in a program, do you have an idea what programs look for in a potential candidate ? Like top 2-3 factors ?
This is a hard question to answer because each program is different and how you look on paper will be different than how you look in-person/for the interview.

For example, on-paper will take into account your GPA, extracurriculars, recommendation letters etc. but each of them are weighted differently per program AND per person within each program. For example, I know of certain Prosth faculty from different schools that didn't care about the personal statements and some also didn't care about recommendation letters. While other faculty from other schools would actually bring up certain faculty during the interview that wrote me the letters since they found that important.

When you are selected for an interview, then, on-paper you probably looked fine. Now it's mainly to make sure you aren't a red flag. Some programs really emphasized personality and how you interact with residents. Some programs will grill you on prior knowledge to see your foundation. Some require you to prep/wax teeth to see you clinical baseline. Some want to test your communication skills, honesty, character, etc. Every program will have different criteria for what they want for their ideal candidate. I do however, found that one of the biggest things in common across all schools I visited, is that they ask you WHY you want to do Prosthodontics. That is one of the most repetitive and probably one of the most important questions I felt like they wanted to know.

So in my opinion, I don't think there are top 2-3 factors that are stable for each program. You just need to be a good fit. Also keep in mind a lot of the times, since the interview is only 1-2 days, that it's also almost impossible for them to really understand if you are the best fit. That is also why during these interviews YOU need to really ask questions and get to know the program. You don't want to be stuck 3 years in such an intense environment hating the program you matched into. I don't think you should be looking to just get in, but rather get into a program that you know you'll accept/enjoy. The reason I mention this is purely because there was a thread a couple weeks back that was from a first year Prosth resident that wants to drop out because the program isn't how they thought it would be and they regretted their choice. Remember, out of all the residencies that are outside of OMFS, Prosth is arguebly the hardest specialty to get through because of how intense it is.

Reactions: 2 users
This is a hard question to answer because each program is different and how you look on paper will be different than how you look in-person/for the interview.

For example, on-paper will take into account your GPA, extracurriculars, recommendation letters etc. but each of them are weighted differently per program AND per person within each program. For example, I know of certain Prosth faculty from different schools that didn't care about the personal statements and some also didn't care about recommendation letters. While other faculty from other schools would actually bring up certain faculty during the interview that wrote me the letters since they found that important.

When you are selected for an interview, then, on-paper you probably looked fine. Now it's mainly to make sure you aren't a red flag. Some programs really emphasized personality and how you interact with residents. Some programs will grill you on prior knowledge to see your foundation. Some require you to prep/wax teeth to see you clinical baseline. Some want to test your communication skills, honesty, character, etc. Every program will have different criteria for what they want for their ideal candidate. I do however, found that one of the biggest things in common across all schools I visited, is that they ask you WHY you want to do Prosthodontics. That is one of the most repetitive and probably one of the most important questions I felt like they wanted to know.

So in my opinion, I don't think there are top 2-3 factors that are stable for each program. You just need to be a good fit. Also keep in mind a lot of the times, since the interview is only 1-2 days, that it's also almost impossible for them to really understand if you are the best fit. That is also why during these interviews YOU need to really ask questions and get to know the program. You don't want to be stuck 3 years in such an intense environment hating the program you matched into. I don't think you should be looking to just get in, but rather get into a program that you know you'll accept/enjoy. The reason I mention this is purely because there was a thread a couple weeks back that was from a first year Prosth resident that wants to drop out because the program isn't how they thought it would be and they regretted their choice. Remember, out of all the residencies that are outside of OMFS, Prosth is arguebly the hardest specialty to get through because of how intense it is.
You’ve explained the process elaborately. Thank you

Reactions: 1 users
is it normal to have only one interview now even if you applied to around 17 schools ? this is exhausting
I feel the same way. I think a lot of programs are still looking through applications, though. Hopefully we’ll receive something soon.

I have a question! Is Virtual interviews really no different than in-person ones? I only ask because two invitations told me that it will not affect my application negatively of I choose virtual one but... guys seriously, doesn't in-person interviews seem more valid? It is hard for me to travel to each unviersity for interview but if I am sure that there IS a difference I would go in person...
Thanks for answering in advance!

Loma Linda University -
University of Southern California - 28/8, 29/8, 31/8 (in person or zoom)
University of Florida -
University of Illinois at Chicago - 22/9, 29/9, 6/10, 13/10 (in person)

University of Iowa -
University of Maryland -
Boston University - 30/8
Harvard University -
Tufts University -
University of Michigan -
Columbia University -
Ohio State University -
Marquette University -

Loma Linda University -
University of Florida -

University of Iowa -
University of Maryland -
Boston University - 30/8
Harvard University -
Tufts University -
University of Michigan -
Columbia University -
Ohio State University -
Marquette University -
Hi, would you mind sharing when you submitted your application to USC? Since USC seems to be on a rolling basis, I'm curious if there's any connection between the date of submission and the dates of the interviews. Thanks!

I have a question! Is Virtual interviews really no different than in-person ones? I only ask because two invitations told me that it will not affect my application negatively of I choose virtual one but... guys seriously, doesn't in-person interviews seem more valid? It is hard for me to travel to each unviersity for interview but if I am sure that there IS a difference I would go in person...
Thanks for answering in advance!
I answered this on page 1 if you want to take a look. I recommend going in-person.

Hi, would you mind sharing when you submitted your application to USC? Since USC seems to be on a rolling basis, I'm curious if there's any connection between the date of submission and the dates of the interviews. Thanks!
I received an email that my application was complete after I submitted the payment and photo and that was on August 14th. They emailed me an interview invite August 23rd!

I received an email that my application was complete after I submitted the payment and photo and that was on August 14th. They emailed me an interview invite August 23rd!
That's super quick! I submitted my application (no photo tho) before you but haven't heard anything from them.

Loma Linda University -
University of Florida -

University of Iowa -
University of Maryland - 9/21 (in person)
Boston University - 30/8

Harvard University -
Tufts University -
University of Michigan -
Columbia University -
Ohio State University -
Marquette University -

Loma Linda University - 17/9

University of Florida -

University of Iowa -
Boston University - 30/8

Harvard University -
Tufts University -
University of Michigan -
Columbia University -
Ohio State University -
Marquette University -

Hey guys , I need to ask a question from someone who got interview from Alabama, I'd appreciate it if you reply to me.

Hi guys,
I applied to match programs but I registered for match only a few days ago will this affect me getting interviews ?
Also did anyone hear anything form OSU ?

Hi guys,
I applied to match programs but I registered for match only a few days ago will this affect me getting interviews ?
Also did anyone hear anything from OSU ?
Not according to this thread but OSU sends multiple rounds of invitations.

Hi guys,
Also did anyone hear anything from OSU ?
No, I don’t think it affects the interview selection process.

University of Florida -

University of Iowa -
Boston University - 30/8

Harvard University -
Tufts University -
University of Michigan -
Columbia University -
Ohio State University - 18/9, 25/9, 2/10 (in person)
Marquette University -

University of Florida -

University of Iowa -
Boston University - 30/8

Harvard University -
Tufts University -
University of Michigan -
Columbia University -
Marquette University -
Congrats. I applied to OSU in July end waiting for the invitation. Can you kindly inform when did you received the invitation and do they have a bench exam this cycle ?

Congrats. I applied to OSU in July end waiting for the invitation. Can you kindly inform when did you received the invitation and do they have a bench exam this cycle ?
I received the email during the first week of August and yes, the email states that there will be a bench test.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have any news about Maryland? Is there only one date for the interview? If yes, is there a bench test?

University of Florida - 15/9, 14/10, 20/10 (in person)
University of Iowa - 21/8, 28/8 (zoom)

Boston University - 30/8

Harvard University -
Tufts University -
University of Michigan -
Columbia University -
Marquette University -

Is it okay to only have one interview so far ?
Do you believe that dental schools like UNC, UIC, UAB, and UF, which have already extended interview invitations, might send out more invites in the upcoming days?
this is so stressful !!