You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
**Official 2026 Ortho Pass/Interviews/Match/Non- match**
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
ortho_prince2000
Full Member
Here is the list from last year so everyone can have an estimate of the interview timeline:
1. 8/12 (email) Iowa, Interview 9/27 with a social on 9/26
2. 8/21 (email) Seton Hill, Interview 9/20 with a social on 9/19
3. 8/23 (email) St. Barnabas Hospital, Interview 10/9 with a social on 10/8
4. 8/26 (email) UIC, interview 10/01, 10/02, 10/03, with social 10/01 or 10/02
5. 8/26 (email) Colorado, Interview 9/26, 9/27, 9/30
6. 8/27 (email) Oklahoma, Interview 10/18,10/25, social night before
7. 8/29 (email) IUSD (Indiana), Interview 10/7-10/8 (2-day interview)
8. 9/6/24 (Email) Tufts, interview dates 10/3 or 10/17, 10/24. Socials on 10/2 or 10/16th
9. 9/6/24 (phone call) Michigan, interview 10/7 or 10/14. Socials on 10/6 or 10/13
10. 9/6/24 (Phone call) University of Tennessee interview dates 10/25 and 10/28 with socials the night before.
11. 9/6/24 (email) Touro interview dates 9/25,26 or 10/9,10 with social night before
12. 9/6/24 (email). LSU interview dates 10/24 or 10/25 with social
13. 9/9/24 (email) UT Health Houston interview dates 10/17 or 10/18 with socials night before
14. 9/9/24 (phone call) UAB interview dates 10/10 or 10/11
15. 9/9 (email) UNMC interview 10/7 or 10/8 with social the night before.
16. 9/9 (phone call) Loma Linda interview 10/7, 10/8
17. 9/10 (email) University of Florida, interview 10/15 with social 10/14 evening
18. 9/10 (email) MUSC interview 10/17 or 10/18 with social on 10/17
19. 9/11 (email), AT still University of Arizona, Interview 10/7- 10/8
20. 9/11 (phone call): University of Tennessee 10/25 and 10/28 with socials night before.
21. 9/12 (phone call) Roseman interviews 10/02 or 10/03 with social night before
22. 9/13 (phone call) Texas A&M interview 10/15, 10/16, 10/17 with social 10/15 or 10/16
23. 9/15/24 (email) OHSU 10/18 or 10/21 with socials on 10/17 or 10/20
24. 9/16/24 (email) OSU 10/21 with socials on 10/20
25. 09/17/24 (email) SIU 10/7 with no social
26. 09/17/24 (email) UBC 10/26 (via zoom)
27. 09/18/24 (email) Harvard 10/23 with social 10/22
28. 09/18/24 (email) UMKC interview 10/21 with social 10/20
29. 9/18/24 (email) CTOR interview 9/26 w/ social night before
30. 9/19 (phone call) Albert Einstein Medical Center interview 10/23 with social night before
31. 9/19 (email) Columbia interview 10/21 or 10/22 with socials the previous night
32. 9/19 (email) Boston University interview 10/28, 29, social the evening before
33. 9/19 (email) Pacific 10/21 or 10/22, Social night before
34. 9/20 (email) UCSF 10/29th, Social 10/28th
35. 9/20 (email) Minnesota 10/21, Social 10/20
36. 9/20 (email) UCLA 10/15, 10/16 social 10/15
37. 9/20 (email) Columbia: same dates that everyone said but they sent another batch I think
38. 9/20 (phone call) Augusta 10/21 w a possible social on 10/20
39. 9/22 (email) University of Washington 10/14 interview with social on 10/13
40. 9/23 Marquette (email) 10/28 and 10/29 interviews with 10/28 social.
41. 9/23 (email) Saint Louis interview 10/22, 10/23, 10/31, 11/1 with socials the evenings before
42. 9/23 (email) Nova southern university 10/29, social on 10/28
43. 9/24 (email) Case Western 10/30th afternoon or 10/31st morning with social on 10/30th evening
44. 9/24 (email and phone call) West Virginia University 11/4 with reception 11/3
45. 9/25 (email) Detroit Mercy: interviews 10/31 or 11/1
46. 9/25 (email) VCU: 10/24 and 10/25 all day
47. 9/25 (email) University of Pittsburgh 11/01 and 11/04 with socials on 10/31 and 11/03
48. 9/25 (phone call) UNC 10/28 and 10/29 with optional socials the evenings before
49. 9/25 (phone call) Bronxcare 10/14 or 10/15 with social 10/14
50. 9/26 (email) Rutgers 10/14, 10/15 with social evening before
51. 9/26 (email) University of Connecticut 10/24, 10/25 with socials the evenings before
52. 9/26 (email) University of Louisville 10/17, 10/18 with socials the evening before
53. 9/27 (call) Medstar 10/26, social 10/25
54. 9/27 (email) University of Maryland 10/22 with social 10/21
55. 9/27 (email) University of Buffalo 10/18, 10/21
56. 9/28 (email) UNLV 10/21 or 10/22, no info on social yet
57. 9/30 (email) UPenn 10/23 or 10/29 w/ socials night before
58. 10/3 (email) U Rochester Eastman 10/11 over ZOOM
1. 8/12 (email) Iowa, Interview 9/27 with a social on 9/26
2. 8/21 (email) Seton Hill, Interview 9/20 with a social on 9/19
3. 8/23 (email) St. Barnabas Hospital, Interview 10/9 with a social on 10/8
4. 8/26 (email) UIC, interview 10/01, 10/02, 10/03, with social 10/01 or 10/02
5. 8/26 (email) Colorado, Interview 9/26, 9/27, 9/30
6. 8/27 (email) Oklahoma, Interview 10/18,10/25, social night before
7. 8/29 (email) IUSD (Indiana), Interview 10/7-10/8 (2-day interview)
8. 9/6/24 (Email) Tufts, interview dates 10/3 or 10/17, 10/24. Socials on 10/2 or 10/16th
9. 9/6/24 (phone call) Michigan, interview 10/7 or 10/14. Socials on 10/6 or 10/13
10. 9/6/24 (Phone call) University of Tennessee interview dates 10/25 and 10/28 with socials the night before.
11. 9/6/24 (email) Touro interview dates 9/25,26 or 10/9,10 with social night before
12. 9/6/24 (email). LSU interview dates 10/24 or 10/25 with social
13. 9/9/24 (email) UT Health Houston interview dates 10/17 or 10/18 with socials night before
14. 9/9/24 (phone call) UAB interview dates 10/10 or 10/11
15. 9/9 (email) UNMC interview 10/7 or 10/8 with social the night before.
16. 9/9 (phone call) Loma Linda interview 10/7, 10/8
17. 9/10 (email) University of Florida, interview 10/15 with social 10/14 evening
18. 9/10 (email) MUSC interview 10/17 or 10/18 with social on 10/17
19. 9/11 (email), AT still University of Arizona, Interview 10/7- 10/8
20. 9/11 (phone call): University of Tennessee 10/25 and 10/28 with socials night before.
21. 9/12 (phone call) Roseman interviews 10/02 or 10/03 with social night before
22. 9/13 (phone call) Texas A&M interview 10/15, 10/16, 10/17 with social 10/15 or 10/16
23. 9/15/24 (email) OHSU 10/18 or 10/21 with socials on 10/17 or 10/20
24. 9/16/24 (email) OSU 10/21 with socials on 10/20
25. 09/17/24 (email) SIU 10/7 with no social
26. 09/17/24 (email) UBC 10/26 (via zoom)
27. 09/18/24 (email) Harvard 10/23 with social 10/22
28. 09/18/24 (email) UMKC interview 10/21 with social 10/20
29. 9/18/24 (email) CTOR interview 9/26 w/ social night before
30. 9/19 (phone call) Albert Einstein Medical Center interview 10/23 with social night before
31. 9/19 (email) Columbia interview 10/21 or 10/22 with socials the previous night
32. 9/19 (email) Boston University interview 10/28, 29, social the evening before
33. 9/19 (email) Pacific 10/21 or 10/22, Social night before
34. 9/20 (email) UCSF 10/29th, Social 10/28th
35. 9/20 (email) Minnesota 10/21, Social 10/20
36. 9/20 (email) UCLA 10/15, 10/16 social 10/15
37. 9/20 (email) Columbia: same dates that everyone said but they sent another batch I think
38. 9/20 (phone call) Augusta 10/21 w a possible social on 10/20
39. 9/22 (email) University of Washington 10/14 interview with social on 10/13
40. 9/23 Marquette (email) 10/28 and 10/29 interviews with 10/28 social.
41. 9/23 (email) Saint Louis interview 10/22, 10/23, 10/31, 11/1 with socials the evenings before
42. 9/23 (email) Nova southern university 10/29, social on 10/28
43. 9/24 (email) Case Western 10/30th afternoon or 10/31st morning with social on 10/30th evening
44. 9/24 (email and phone call) West Virginia University 11/4 with reception 11/3
45. 9/25 (email) Detroit Mercy: interviews 10/31 or 11/1
46. 9/25 (email) VCU: 10/24 and 10/25 all day
47. 9/25 (email) University of Pittsburgh 11/01 and 11/04 with socials on 10/31 and 11/03
48. 9/25 (phone call) UNC 10/28 and 10/29 with optional socials the evenings before
49. 9/25 (phone call) Bronxcare 10/14 or 10/15 with social 10/14
50. 9/26 (email) Rutgers 10/14, 10/15 with social evening before
51. 9/26 (email) University of Connecticut 10/24, 10/25 with socials the evenings before
52. 9/26 (email) University of Louisville 10/17, 10/18 with socials the evening before
53. 9/27 (call) Medstar 10/26, social 10/25
54. 9/27 (email) University of Maryland 10/22 with social 10/21
55. 9/27 (email) University of Buffalo 10/18, 10/21
56. 9/28 (email) UNLV 10/21 or 10/22, no info on social yet
57. 9/30 (email) UPenn 10/23 or 10/29 w/ socials night before
58. 10/3 (email) U Rochester Eastman 10/11 over ZOOM
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
VCU is known to favor applicants who graduate at the top of their dental school class, typically those ranked #1 or #2. Similarly competitive programs include UNC, UCSF, UCLA, Texas programs, Michigan, UW, UConn, and a few hospital-based programs in the Northeast. In general, orthodontic programs that are known to be clinically strong, less expensive, shorter duration, and/or offer stipends tend to be the most competitive.
That being said, the Northeast hospital-based programs, as well as UCLA and UCSF, pay their residents a salary/provide health benefits, which likely contributes to their high competitiveness in terms of GPA, class rank, GRE scores, research experience, and other qualifications.
That being said, the Northeast hospital-based programs, as well as UCLA and UCSF, pay their residents a salary/provide health benefits, which likely contributes to their high competitiveness in terms of GPA, class rank, GRE scores, research experience, and other qualifications.
Last edited:
orthogen232
Full Member
Does anyone know if adding the unofficial GRE scores to the PASS is sufficient before being admitted to any school? A lot of programs just mention that the scores need to be sent to a certain code but do not mention if before or after getting admitted.
Some schools want the official GRE score sent to them. I believe it tells you in their supplemental applications. I haven't submitted my application yet so I'm not sure though.Does anyone know if adding the unofficial GRE scores to the PASS is sufficient before being admitted to any school? A lot of programs just mention that the scores need to be sent to a certain code but do not mention if before or after getting admitted.
How much information are you all writing on the description for the experiences and achievements? I was just writing one super short sentence on everything. Should be we writing more detailed stuff?
orthogen232
Full Member
I asked around and what from what I understood it is better just write a short concise description and if you feel like there's more to add, use short bullet points maybeSome schools want the official GRE score sent to them. I believe it tells you in their supplemental applications. I haven't submitted my application yet so I'm not sure though.
How much information are you all writing on the description for the experiences and achievements? I was just writing one super short sentence on everything. Should be we writing more detailed stuff?
SoCalDentChick
Full Member
Personally, I know of multiple current residents who didnt get their apps in until June/July. So may not make a big differenceDo you know if all schools give priority to those who apply early, or is this the case for only a select few programs?
Also want to add Iowa to the list! And I know a few residents at Ohio State received a full ride and a salary.VCU is known to favor applicants who graduate at the top of their dental school class, typically those ranked #1 or #2. Similarly competitive programs include UNC, UCSF, UCLA, Texas programs, Michigan, UW, UConn, and a few hospital-based programs in the Northeast. In general, orthodontic programs that are known to be clinically strong, less expensive, and/or offer stipends tend to be the most competitive. That being said, the Northeast hospital-based programs, as well as UCLA and UCSF, pay their residents a salary, which likely contributes to their high competitiveness in terms of class rank, GRE scores, research experience, and other qualifications.
sharkie19830
Full Member
I was under the impression that schools don't look at applications till their respective deadline?Personally, I know of multiple current residents who didnt get their apps in until June/July. So may not make a big difference
Not always. I know my program started looking at them last year before the deadline, they may have even finalized their initial interview list before the deadline. Doesn’t mean you need to have your application in by June, but I definitely wouldn’t wait until the last minuteI was under the impression that schools don't look at applications till their respective deadline?
Can you submit your application if you are still waiting on the letter from the dean? I requested it the week the application opened and my school said it could take up to 6 weeks for them to send it lol. Did everyone else's schools send them right away?
Hey, I'm currently working on my application right now and wondering what I should be put for weeks and hours for some of the clubs and organizations I'm involved in. For example, I have been a member for the Academy of General Dentistry for 3 years. Should I say 40 hours? 156 weeks?
For a lot of the things that I'm a general member of like AGD I've been putting 1 hour a week. It seems weird to me to put anything higher. I doubt they really care about the time of a lot of these things though??Hey, I'm currently working on my application right now and wondering what I should be put for weeks and hours for some of the clubs and organizations I'm involved in. For example, I have been a member for the Academy of General Dentistry for 3 years. Should I say 40 hours? 156 weeks?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks! that makes since. I'll probably do the same thing.For a lot of the things that I'm a general member of like AGD I've been putting 1 hour a week. It seems weird to me to put anything higher. I doubt they really care about the time of a lot of these things though??
pickleball8
New Member
Has anyone seen a student get in with no GRE score? I still haven’t taken it but planning on it.. will it be ok if I take it first week of July ? Some are telling me to submit my application for now and then do GRE to increase chances
Hockey_Ortho
Full Member
Yes, I know people who have gotten accepted to schools without the GRE. Also know people who have gotten in with extremely low GRE scores (very low 140s in each section)Has anyone seen a student get in with no GRE score? I still haven’t taken it but planning on it.. will it be ok if I take it first week of July ? Some are telling me to submit my application for now and then do GRE to increase chances
SoCalDentChick
Full Member
Is a top 20 class rank good enough to put on your CV, or should you only include it on your CV if you are top 10?
oops... I didn't put it on there at all!🤣 I just put my GPA and I figured my class rank would be on my transcript.Is a top 20 class rank good enough to put on your CV, or should you only include it on your CV if you are top 10?
Hockey_Ortho
Full Member
Yeah, it doesn't make a difference. All the programs will see it inputted in PASS in that one section either way.oops... I didn't put it on there at all!🤣 I just put my GPA and I figured my class rank would be on my transcript.
Anyone applying this year with ADAT score instead of GRE?
Also, when do most applicants submit their application?
Also, when do most applicants submit their application?
I would double check which schools you are applying to because it's much more common for schools to want GRE scores and not ADAT scores.Anyone applying this year with ADAT score instead of GRE?
Also, when do most applicants submit their application?
I think most people submit as soon as they can, I haven't submitted mine because I'm still waiting on my Deans letter and one more letter of rec. Some people say they start looking at applicants right away and some say they don't start looking until after the deadline. I wanted to submit early but you can't really do anything when you are waiting on letters lol
Hockey_Ortho
Full Member
I would use their actual website - 2,500 maxIf anyone is applying to Tufts, can you advise what approach you took? Their website states "limit your personal statement to 2500 characters maximum", however on ADEA PASS, it says "3000 characters maximum."
What are everyone's thoughts on the new bill? I have been considering withdrawing my applications to the majority of programs I apply to, except for hospital-based programs.
Already over $200k in debt from federal loans
Already over $200k in debt from federal loans
I thought the ADEA PASS characters maximum was 4,500 for personal statement?If anyone is applying to Tufts, can you advise what approach you took? Their website states "limit your personal statement to 2500 characters maximum", however on ADEA PASS, it says "3000 characters maximum."
What does the new bill change? Surely you haven't been banking on getting out of paying those loans back right?What are everyone's thoughts on the new bill? I have been considering withdrawing my applications to the majority of programs I apply to, except for hospital-based programs.
Already over $200k in debt from federal loans
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
With the new bill if you have +$200k in federal loans, you won't be able to get any federal loans for residency.What does the new bill change? Surely you haven't been banking on getting out of paying those loans back right?
The new maximum amount of federal loans any individual can have is $200k, there is a cap now on the amount of loans you can get.
Yeah I'm also worried about this. I really didn't think the bill was going to pass but I shouldn't be surprised anymore with the current administration. I've heard mixed things about it all and it's hard to find information on it all but I did read this:With the new bill if you have +$200k in federal loans, you won't be able to get any federal loans for residency.
The new maximum amount of federal loans any individual can have is $200k, there is a cap now on the amount of loans you can get.
"If you have already borrowed a Grad PLUS loan before July 1, 2026, you will be grandfathered in and can continue borrowing under the old Grad PLUS loan terms for the remainder of your program or for up to three academic years, whichever is shorter. If you have already taken out other types of federal student loans (undergraduate, graduate, or professional) before July 1, 2026, your existing loan limits and terms will generally remain unchanged. However, any new loans taken out after that date will be subject to the new borrowing limits, and your existing loan balance will count towards the new caps."
So I think since we already have taken out grad loans we should be ok?? from what I understand.
I'm just glad we are done with dental school, I feel really bad for the future dental and medical students out there.
This is where I think we wouldn't be able to get federal loans for residency. Practically all programs start after July 1st, 2026, and it would be for a new loan, not an existing one.However, any new loans taken out after that date will be subject to the new borrowing limits, and your existing loan balance will count towards the new caps."
So I don't think it matters if you already have Grad PLUS loans. Simply because it would be for a new loan and after July 1st, 2026.
That's what ChatGPT told me as well. If you have already met or exceeded the $200k, then you would no longer be eligible for Grad PLUS loans.This is where I think we wouldn't be able to get federal loans for residency. Practically all programs start after July 1st, 2026, and it would be for a new loan, not an existing one.
So I don't think it matters if you already have Grad PLUS loans. Simply because it would be for a new loan and after July 1st, 2026.
orthodream007
Full Member
Hi everyone, anyone still yet to take the GRE?
This is what I thought too.This is where I think we wouldn't be able to get federal loans for residency. Practically all programs start after July 1st, 2026, and it would be for a new loan, not an existing one.
So I don't think it matters if you already have Grad PLUS loans. Simply because it would be for a new loan and after July 1st, 2026.
Yeah, I think you're right. I think borrowers who took out loans before July 2026 will still be allowed to finish their graduate programs with whatever amount is needed. However, if they plan to take out additional loans for residency and have already exceeded the $200k cap, they likely won’t be eligible for new Grad PLUS loans to cover residency costs.This is where I think we wouldn't be able to get federal loans for residency. Practically all programs start after July 1st, 2026, and it would be for a new loan, not an existing one.
So I don't think it matters if you already have Grad PLUS loans. Simply because it would be for a new loan and after July 1st, 2026.
I wouldn’t let this deter you from applying. There are many programs out there that are under 200k. Even if it’s slightly over that, take out private loans to cover the rest or moonlight as a dentist to cover the rest. Don’t overthink it at this pointThis is where I think we wouldn't be able to get federal loans for residency. Practically all programs start after July 1st, 2026, and it would be for a new loan, not an existing one.
So I don't think it matters if you already have Grad PLUS loans. Simply because it would be for a new loan and after July 1st, 2026.
orthodream007
Full Member
Hi everyone, finally finished my GRE this week! For those programs due August 1st would I have met their deadline if I submit the PASS application and any supplementary information they require from their website by that date? Are there any programs where you submit a PASS application and then they send further supplemental material to be added?
I think they'd want you to submit everything by the deadline. I've only heard of schools allowing you to take the INDBE afterwards, but they have to be submitted before Nov 1, otherwise they don't rank you.Hi everyone, finally finished my GRE this week! For those programs due August 1st would I have met their deadline if I submit the PASS application and any supplementary information they require from their website by that date? Are there any programs where you submit a PASS application and then they send further supplemental material to be added?
Have you heard anything regarding the supplemental fee?Has anyone paid for the supplemental fee for MUSC? I haven't found a link or instructions anywhere. Should I email the program coordinator? TY
Anyone applying to Virginia? On their website it says "Attach/Upload a photocopy/screenprint of your GRE score report to ADEA PASS. " and it also says this for your board scores, but I don't see any place to upload documents like this? There is only the spot for the CV and transcripts... Should I email these to them?
Thanks
Thanks
wannabeorthodr
Full Member
Hi guys! I accidentally applied to three schools that aren't match. I figured each school on ADEA Pass was match, which is my bad. What should I do? I won't accept any interviews from these schools of course, but are other schools going to see this and not want to interview me? Should I reach out to each of them and withdraw my application? I'm so worried, please help if you have any experience with this!
No they don't know which schools you applied to so don't worry. I would just not go to any of their interviews if they invite you.Hi guys! I accidentally applied to three schools that aren't match. I figured each school on ADEA Pass was match, which is my bad. What should I do? I won't accept any interviews from these schools of course, but are other schools going to see this and not want to interview me? Should I reach out to each of them and withdraw my application? I'm so worried, please help if you have any experience with this!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hockey_Ortho
Full Member
A few schools that are match only reach out to verify that you are applying to match only. Not sure how they do that, whether it is logging into the PASS portal or how they verify it.No they don't know which schools you applied to so don't worry. I would just not go to any of their interviews if they invite you.
Yes. The program coordinator said they're not charging a supplemental fee this year. I think they didn't update the website.Have you heard anything regarding the supplemental fee?
good luck everyone - for me the ortho dream is over.. looks like it aint worth it no more.
orthodream007
Full Member
Sorry to hear...why is it not worth it anymore for you? Wishing you all the best,good luck everyone - for me the ortho dream is over.. looks like it aint worth it no more.
Apparently you get paid 250 now. Not sure it’s worth it anymore with the opportunity cost. Sucks because I literally designed my dental school resume for this specialtySorry to hear...why is it not worth it anymore for you? Wishing you all the best,
Similar threads
- Replies
- 368
- Views
- 170K
- Replies
- 68
- Views
- 15K
- Replies
- 237
- Views
- 44K
- Replies
- 21
- Views
- 7K