prosthodontics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

DoogieMD22

Why is prosthodontics such an unpopular specialty? The pay and lifestye seem great. Is there a downside I'm overlooking?

Members don't see this ad.

Why is prosthodontics such an unpopular specialty? The pay and lifestye seem great. Is there a downside I'm overlooking?

The reason why many do not consider prosthodontics:

1. Many do not look foward to spending nites and weekend doing lab work during residency.
2. Many do not enjoy doing lab work.
3. Many do not enjoy doing complicated reconstruction cases.
4. There are other specialties that make more money (endo, ortho, OS).
5. Bad experience while in school from pros. instructor (ie. " look at that .005 mm void, take new impression I say!" ) DP

I'm going on to D3 soon and I may be looking into prosthodontics. I guess you either hate it or love it...where most people hate it, I guess.

If you had a prosthodontic office...what would be the typical set up as far hygienist, or only assistants etc?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going on to D3 soon and I may be looking into prosthodontics. I guess you either hate it or love it...where most people hate it, I guess.

If you had a prosthodontic office...what would be the typical set up as far hygienist, or only assistants etc?

That depends on your practice. If you do fixed, certainly you would employ a DH for recall. DH can help your income immensely. If you do removable, you would not need one but certainly in house lab tech. A prosthodontist I know does not do restoratives and just focus on dentures and partial. He has 4 lab techs and one assistant. DP

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

1. Many do not look foward to spending nites and weekend doing lab work during residency.
2. Many do not enjoy doing lab work.
3. Many do not enjoy doing complicated reconstruction cases.
4. There are other specialties that make more money (endo, ortho, OS).
5. Bad experience while in school from pros. instructor (ie. " look at that .005 mm void, take new impression I say!" ) DP

Truer words were never spoken. I was cutting a crown one time and according to the pros instructor i was working with, I had a slight undercut on the facial. I swear you could barely see it with loupes. I told her we were close to the pulp chamber and that a little undercut wax would do the trick. She said no and wanted me to remove the undercut. I ended up pulping it and it became a cast/P&C with a crown. :thumbdown:

Truer words were never spoken. I was cutting a crown one time and according to the pros instructor i was working with, I had a slight undercut on the facial. I swear you could barely see it with loupes. I told her we were close to the pulp chamber and that a little undercut wax would do the trick. She said no and wanted me to remove the undercut. I ended up pulping it and it became a cast/P&C with a crown. :thumbdown:

Quite true. Some pros instructors were so "an*l retentive" that they make pros. a turn off for many students. I avoided many of them like SARS. I was rather popular (I think) with my students as their pros. instructor because I didn't do the things that were done to me 17 years ago. DP