Proton Pricing/Protons for Breast Discussion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

This is my take!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Protons for breast cancer: quadrupling costs while also doubling toxicity.

But, by all means, do it if the insurance allows.

Reactions: 1 user
Breast radiation, described in brief.

Hypofractionated Photons:
Michael Jordan Dunk GIF by NBA

Protons:

Fail The Fresh Prince Of Bel Air GIF

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
As another data point, MGH had really poor results when they tried protons for APBI. It was an abstract at ASTRO but i am not sure if the paper was ever written up.

Reactions: 2 users
(Reasonably fractionated and prescribed) APBI with photons is the most well tolerated of all breast treatments.
Why should protons show a benefit in this special cohort?

Reactions: 4 users
(Reasonably fractionated and prescribed) APBI with photons is the most well tolerated of all breast treatments.
Why should protons show a benefit in this special cohort?
Comes down to DVH idolatry, what a “pretty” plan!

Reactions: 1 users
pretty sure one of my patients saw Ben smith for a second opinion and ended up with partial breast protons.

• Haha
These people are the same people that would crucify pp for right breast Imrt

And yes, apbi proton abstract at Astro several years ago showed worse skin toxicity

Members don't see this ad :)
These people are the same people that would crucify pp for right breast Imrt

And yes, apbi proton abstract at Astro several years ago showed worse skin toxicity
if you point that out, they will just bring up that keytruda costs more than all of xrt.

I have an idea who this is but won't dox them. But the duality is amazing. On the one hand, you're exploiting medical students and DEI to trap them into radiation oncology to exploit them as you climb the academic ladder, and on the other hand, you're sticking patients with a huge bill for a 3 decade old modality with no proven benefits. If that ain't a grifter, I don't know what is.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Yeah, pretty easy to figure this one out. I believe this institution was a relatively late adopter of protons, with reasonable concerns for going all in and with a self-righteous approach to how they would implement them when they did (to differentiate themselves from multiple other proton centers in the immediate region).

Now soliciting prostate proton referrals, when they probably know better.

Very hard to have the moral high ground in this game.

Yeah, pretty easy to figure this one out. I believe this institution was a relatively late adopter of protons, with reasonable concerns for going all in and with a self-righteous approach to how they would implement them when they did (to differentiate themselves from multiple other proton centers in the immediate region).

Now soliciting prostate proton referrals, when they probably know better.

Very hard to have the moral high ground in this game.
Osler wouldn’t approve. Pimping protons and this specialty to URM?

• Haha
Why are people beating around the bush - things are ROTTEN, and I’m not talking about the crab cakes

• Haha
I woke up expecting at least one Poe reference. You guys disappointed me 😞

Name and shame.
I got the letter off doximity. Doc publically invites radoncs to contact him via phone and email to discuss protons for prostate, so can I post? Would love to have group q and a with him on who we should send for protons.

• Haha
I got the letter off doximity. Doc publically invites radoncs to contact him via phone and email to discuss protons for prostate, so can I post? Would love to have group q and a with him on who we should send for protons.
Go ahead brotha!

Reactions: 1 user
Go ahead brotha!
Ok, the author publically hopes to connect with us and says he can be reached at [email protected] or 202-537-4787. I genuinely would like to connect and learn about the benefits of protons for prostate cancer especially as it relates to the rectum. He is targeting this info/message to radoncs not primary care.

• Love
Ok, the author publically hopes to connect with us and says he can be reached at [email protected] or 202-537-4787. I genuinely would like to connect and learn about the benefits of protons for prostate cancer especially as it relates to the rectum. He is targeting this info/message to radoncs not primary care.
He is welcome to create an account here, present his data and field a Q&A. This isn't truth social or ASTRO ROhub, no cancel culture here

• Love
He is welcome to create an account here, present his data and field a Q&A. This isn't truth social or ASTRO ROhub, no cancel culture here

I would definitely welcome that. Perhaps @Dan Spratt should also chime in on the discussion, especially since he has protons now.

I agree it would be great to have an open forum with prostate proton advocates. The name brand docs should trust the strength of their arguments. I have never bought the argument that "this is not the forum for detailed technical conversation". It is the perfect forum.

Reactions: 6 users
1648916111747.png

Oh really? I don't know how other people are reading this statement, but this implies "no side effects" to me.

I guess if I go to Google Scholar and search "proton radiotherapy normal tissue injury" there will be zero results?

1648918053585.png

(editor's note: this is for a lung trial, not prostate, but you get the idea)

• Love

Is this serious? That DEI guy from Johnny Hops is the person publicly peddling protons for prostate like a snake oil salesman?

• Haha
Is this serious? That DEI guy from Johnny Hops is the person publicly peddling protons for prostate like a snake oil salesman?

Why do only one grift when two grifts better

• Haha
Seems suspect that the ivory towers which are so keen on practicing evidence based medicine also very overtly push protons for prostate...where there is not great data.

Id be curious to see if lemmiwinks can circulate on twitter to engage the twitterati, especially academic crew, on their opinion on this.

This is different because it's the doctor pushing it on doximity directly, but I wonder how often it's the marketing department for the hospital pushing a campaign that's totally divorced from physician input.

I'm reminded of the Silicon Valley marketing team