Proud to be a DO Thread:)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've been a member of SDN since the MCAT days and proudly chose to be a D.O. There are several threads that have an "anti-DO or anti-OMM" sentiment on the boards. It's almost a time honored tradition on SDN...haha...I want to try and balance out the threads a little:)

To all the Pre-Meds out there I remember being in your shoes and reading these boards, there are a lot of DO's that are happy with the training they received. Is the system/school perfect? No, but tell me where it's perfect. If you have an interest in the musculoskeletal system and how it relates to other medical diseases, osteopathic medicine is great!

medical school is medical school is medical school.

a DO and an MD are functionally the same thing. Just like a DMD and DDS are functionally the same thing, and just like most of the rest of the world gives the MBBS, which is functionally the same thing as an American MD or DO. SDN loves to argue semantics.

Members don't see this ad.

This thread was started before the acgme/aoa announcement. There are going to be great and terrible doctors from both allo and osteo, and I'd be willing to wager my student debt that the numbers would be fairly equal.

First of all, I am happy to be a Physician, and I am happy to have an extra tool (OMM) that I can use in certain situations.
While a radiologist might not use OMM, any surgical field including, ortho, neurosurgery, cardiothoracic, general surgery can definitely incorporate OMM into their plan of care. You as the DO surgeon might not be the person performing the manipulations but recognising that you could consult for OMM services pre-op or post up can be very beneficial in the patient's recovery. At our hospital, OMM services are consulted post-op day one. The physicians that do a plus 1 residency in OMM are excellent with the acute cases. My school is really big on providing all kinds of setting where OMM can be use and I am just greatful for the knowledge.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Ready to stir it up a bit?

OMM is not just some random extra tool that fixes a few things here or there. If you think that it fixes a few somatic dysfunctions, then you are missing out. A simple case is how fixing a somatic dysfunction can fix a visceral dysfunction, say acid reflux. Call me a first year (take your best shot), but when I've already seen things cured, or damn near cured, with OMM, I hate seeing posts about anti-OMM (or OMM barely works). Unlike many people that argue OMM, this is coming from experience. Having a lack of good opportunities with OMM doesn't constitute as a reason to say OMM doesn't work.

My personal suggestion to the med students out there: get a mentor and see what it really can do. For the residents and attendings out there: I can't suggest anything to you, but if you think OMM doesn't work, then find a friend that can work miracles.

DO vs MD: DOs and MDs are not the same thing. Should they have the same respect? Most definitely. Should they have similar rights? Yup.
But sorry, MDs and DOs do stress different philosophies. Does it mean one is better than another? I didn't realize it was a competition...
DOs have a different history and a similar, yet different story. Moreover, DOs can work some voodoo magic as stated in the beginning paragraph.

Honestly why are DOs trying to be MDs? If you want to be an MD, be one. But DOs don't need to justify their existence by pretending to be a MD. If you are simply wanting to be a physician, that's fine. But you really are missing out on the osteopathic physician bit.

Stirring complete.

Ready to stir it up a bit?

OMM is not just some random extra tool that fixes a few things here or there. If you think that it fixes a few somatic dysfunctions, then you are missing out. A simple case is how fixing a somatic dysfunction can fix a visceral dysfunction, say acid reflux. Call me a first year (take your best shot), but when I've already seen things cured, or damn near cured, with OMM, I hate seeing posts about anti-OMM (or OMM barely works). Unlike many people that argue OMM, this is coming from experience. Having a lack of good opportunities with OMM doesn't constitute as a reason to say OMM doesn't work.

My personal suggestion to the med students out there: get a mentor and see what it really can do. For the residents and attendings out there: I can't suggest anything to you, but if you think OMM doesn't work, then find a friend that can work miracles.

DO vs MD: DOs and MDs are not the same thing. Should they have the same respect? Most definitely. Should they have similar rights? Yup.
But sorry, MDs and DOs do stress different philosophies. Does it mean one is better than another? I didn't realize it was a competition...
DOs have a different history and a similar, yet different story. Moreover, DOs can work some voodoo magic as stated in the beginning paragraph.

Honestly why are DOs trying to be MDs? If you want to be an MD, be one. But DOs don't need to justify their existence by pretending to be a MD. If you are simply wanting to be a physician, that's fine. But you really are missing out on the osteopathic physician bit.

Stirring complete.

You drank allllll the Kool-Aid, didn't ya?

You're still early in. Give it some time. You'll get out on rotations, work with DOs and MDs, and not be able to tell them apart (aside from the random DO like you who drank all the red stuff and still has some lingering residual deficits).

There is no difference in philosophy. That's just something your school tells you. Great physicians treat patients exactly the same.

The sooner you extinguish that "separate but equal" attitude that your post is based upon the better. You can't have it both ways.

Last edited:

You're still early in. Give it some time. You'll get out on rotations, work with DOs and MDs, and not be able to tell them apart (aside from the random DO like you who drank all the red stuff and still has some lingering residual deficits).

There is no difference in philosophy. That's just something your school tells you. Great physicians treat patients exactly the same.

The sooner you extinguish that "separate but equal" attitude that your post is based upon the better. You can't have it both ways.

Why can't you have "different but equal". Sure "separate but equal" is probably a bit harder. But you can be different, looking at patients from a different angle, have a different "toolbox", yet retain all the same and equal rights, respect and privileges as MDs.

To say that this can't happen is like saying to an Irish born american citizen that he'd have to choose between his beliefs, traditions, ethic background vs. his rights, etc etc.
Or to say it can't happen is like saying the ring finger is not different from the pinky finger. Of course it's different, and arguably it's nearly just as equally valuable to us.

I highly doubt that the great physicians treat patients exactly the same. If you took two great physicians, I'm sure that they would interact, figure out what's going on, and deal with the patient in different ways. They might even do similar things. But I'm sure that their methods are those that fit them the best and fits the needs of the patients the best (thus being different to a degree).

And even if all great physicians operated the same exact way, then I'd have to say "pass". It'd be way too easy for physicians to fall in tunnel vision.

It's like my ring finger and pinky finger metaphor from above. Would you want 5 pinky fingers only on your hand? They are all equal...
Nah, you'd want 5 different fingers, like you probably have now, that are all equal. Each one has it's slightly unique twist that benefits the creature as a whole.
Do note that this doesn't mean that a DO must think a certain way and do OMM all the time (or at all). I'm not saying that there must be a difference in philosophy or that perhaps one is greater than the other.

So here's where I'm getting at: you (being anyone that's ever a patient) stands to benefit greatly from two different but equal "types" of physicians because of the different perspectives and abilities that they bring.

And while there are some people that seem to fear being labeled a "baby MD" or a MD wannabe if they embrace any deviation from the MD world (deviation being osteopathy), then that's fine. I can't stop them. If the goal is to just practice medicine, then great, DO or MD does the trick. But that doesn't mean to practice medicine that you must shed any identity you have to oneself. It almost seems as if some DOs want to be apart of the MD cool club so they change the way they talk, dress, and do their hair to mimic the MDs so they are accepted by them. Personally, if MDs don't want to accept DOs, that's fine. It's not about them. Or it's not even about the DOs. In the end it's about the patients anyways.

He drank all the kool-aid and went back for more

He will be the DO student on rotations with MDs that make us look bad. Attending "patient presents with a stroke and meningitis, whats our next step?"

This student: "well i would start off with some soft tissue, maybe some lymphatics" as the MD attendings shake their heads and the DOs not drinking the kool-aid cover their name tags:laugh:

Im happy I get the opportunity to become a physician. Any DO who thinks we are different or superior is just a ***** trying to pretend they are special. Its hard for me to even justify we are equal. Sure DOs learn the same things as MDs, but with some of the discrimination that goes on we are still not equal.....although we keep getting closer

He will be the DO student on rotations with MDs that make us look bad. Attending "patient presents with a stroke and meningitis, whats our next step?"

This student: "well i would start off with some soft tissue, maybe some lymphatics" as the MD attendings shake their heads and the DOs not drinking the kool-aid cover their name tags:laugh:

Im happy I get the opportunity to become a physician. Any DO who thinks we are different or superior is just a ***** trying to pretend they are special. Its hard for me to even justify we are equal. Sure DOs learn the same things as MDs, but with some of the discrimination that goes on we are still not equal.....although we keep getting closer

:thumbup:

Very eloquently put sir

I've been a member of SDN since the MCAT days and proudly chose to be a D.O. There are several threads that have an "anti-DO or anti-OMM" sentiment on the boards. It's almost a time honored tradition on SDN...haha...I want to try and balance out the threads a little:)

To all the Pre-Meds out there I remember being in your shoes and reading these boards, there are a lot of DO's that are happy with the training they received. Is the system/school perfect? No, but tell me where it's perfect. If you have an interest in the musculoskeletal system and how it relates to other medical diseases, osteopathic medicine is great!

I've never seen an anti-DO thread. I've seen anti-DO posts, but never a thread.

Also, by making this thread you are only perpetuating the "MD vs. DO" theme on SDN. Nice work, Attending.

Also, by making this thread you are only perpetuating the "MD vs. DO" theme on SDN. Nice work, Attending.

Yes, the one thread that actually uses the word "proud" and "DO" in the same subject line...trollish blasphemy!!! Further cemented by my attending status :rolleyes:

Sentiment of thread = proud to be a DO. Period. Some us are proud is all I'm saying.

I've been treated by DOs and MDs- loved them both.
Just as long as DNPs and PAs aren't my primary care, I'm happy.

I love the random assumptions. Claiming OMM works and is valuable doesnt mean the same thing as OMM cures "everything" as you seem to think.

And if DO are no different, then why do they have DO after their names?

Why does people feel the need to pretend to be MDs? Do you secretly desire the MD tag? Is somehow making DO=MD bring it closer to that dream?

And if for some reason you say DO=MD since they are both physicians, then I wonder if an orange would call itself an apple since they are both fruits. Of course not, they are different flavors (if you will) as are MDs and DOs. Is there a big difference? Nah, but there still is one. And to ignore it suggests that one is ashamed of getting only into a DO school since their gpa/mcat was too low and will try anything to become an MD, even if it means to pretend there is no difference between MDs and DOs.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using SDN Mobile

22346_794434789277_6234512_n.jpg

The role of the artery is supreme!