Proud to be a DO Thread:)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fozzy40

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been a member of SDN since the MCAT days and proudly chose to be a D.O. There are several threads that have an "anti-DO or anti-OMM" sentiment on the boards. It's almost a time honored tradition on SDN...haha...I want to try and balance out the threads a little:)

To all the Pre-Meds out there I remember being in your shoes and reading these boards, there are a lot of DO's that are happy with the training they received. Is the system/school perfect? No, but tell me where it's perfect. If you have an interest in the musculoskeletal system and how it relates to other medical diseases, osteopathic medicine is great!

Members don't see this ad.

I've been a member of SDN since the MCAT days and proudly chose to be a D.O. There are several threads that have an "anti-DO or anti-OMM" sentiment on the boards. It's almost a time honored tradition on SDN...haha...I want to try and balance out the threads a little:)

To all the Pre-Meds out there I remember being in your shoes and reading these boards, there are a lot of DO's that are happy with the training they received. Is the system/school perfect? No, but tell me where it's perfect. If you have an interest in the musculoskeletal system and how it relates to other medical diseases, osteopathic medicine is great!

I went through the accelerated pathway 3+4 into a DO school, so I only completed one medical application ever. Definetly happy with my decision.

I went through the accelerated pathway 3+4 into a DO school, so I only completed one medical application ever. Definetly happy with my decision.

Spelling! DE-FIN-IT-ELY. May our Dear Leader Kim Jong-un forgive you for your sins, and also for ignoring the red underline.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I am both privileged and honored to be a future D.O in the United States of America.

DO vs MD. It really makes no difference. You make it what you want.

I am proud to be a DO student. I only applied to DO schools and I would do it all again.

As for OMM, there are a lot of techniques that work very well. My friend is a PT and a majority of their techniques is the same as OMM (with different names). I bet a lot of the OMM haters have never used it in practice (at the appropriate time).

I like where I'm at just fine.

Last edited:
You never really understand the difference until you get dropped in the middle of allopathicville.....

In a good way or bad way? I'm interested to hear, as I'm mainly looking at MD residencies.

You never really understand the difference until you get dropped in the middle of allopathicville.....

This is totally true. When your allopathic breathren tweak their backs and are hobbling around in agony after a long night in the OR, they come begging quickly to fix the problem. Usually the first time is met with skepticism but I tell you they seek you out on the next time around.

Or the resident who is dying from a migraine headache who doesn't have time to feel miserable and the triptans alone aren't working. You adjust the neck back in a voila the headache is gone in 30 minutes and you are the hero forever.

Been there, done that. See the magic every day.

May the Jedi master untwist the fascia and let the lymph flow forth.

I just like being a physician. I didn't really read this thread so this isn't *necessarily* directed at anyone who posted here... but DO pride strikes me the say way "women pride" does. It just makes you espouse stupid aphorisms and less than completely efficient habits solely because its a "pride" thing. Its nothing harmful or terrible, but it looks completely silly, and occasionally wasteful, to an outside observer while accomplishing little but blowing smoke up your own ass. Not that its occurring in this thread (again didn't read it) but I have seen it occur plenty in real life and other threads on here. Be careful that you don't make yourself look silly just because you want to show your pride.

Just be proud to be a legal drug dealer!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just like being a physician. I didn't really read this thread so this isn't *necessarily* directed at anyone who posted here... but DO pride strikes me the say way "women pride" does. It just makes you espouse stupid aphorisms and less than completely efficient habits solely because its a "pride" thing. Its nothing harmful or terrible, but it looks completely silly, and occasionally wasteful, to an outside observer while accomplishing little but blowing smoke up your own ass. Not that its occurring in this thread (again didn't read it) but I have seen it occur plenty in real life and other threads on here. Be careful that you don't make yourself look silly just because you want to show your pride.

:thumbup:

I am proud to be a soon to be physician, one who just happens to have the letters DO. To be honest I get sick of my school and the AOA making us sound different and special when we are just normal physicians with an extra tool, which is only applicable in unique scenarios

Also proud to be a potential DO. The physicians that inspired me to be a doctor, including my parents, were DOs (though I know plenty of great MDs). I think of it as a 'fraternity' of sorts, and I'm happy to sport those two letters.

I think I am going to "raise the banner of Osteopathy into the wind"!

Just make sure you dont forget the yr^^ 1874 i think?

'atta boy
50511_29724133339_2741917_n.jpg

I think I am going to "raise the banner of Osteopathy into the wind"!
This was a test question at PCOM twice.

There was a picture of a coin with 1874 on it and a wine bottle with 1874 on it (my artifacts may be confused). The question was, "What do these two pictures have in common?"

The answer was "the year the osteopathic banner flew in the breeze" or something of that sort.

There was a picture of a coin with 1874 on it and a wine bottle with 1874 on it (my artifacts may be confused). The question was, "What do these two pictures have in common?"

The answer was "the year the osteopathic banner flew in the breeze" or something of that sort.

wow

...wow...

This is not unusual to me. Which should scare me. But stupid crap like that showed up as at least 2 questions on every single (and there were many) omm exam my first year. Our first test probably had about 8 like that.

Questions such as these are vital for the development of the future osteopathic physician's understanding of the body proper. How can I understand disease, formulate a differential, select appropriate diagnostic tests, perform a focused physical exam, or make evidence-based treatment decisions if I don't know when the osteopathic banner flew in the wind? All in the name of being different, yet completely the same.

/sarcasm

This is not unusual to me. Which should scare me. But stupid crap like that showed up as at least 2 questions on every single (and there were many) omm exam my first year. Our first test probably had about 8 like that.

Easy points, guys. Easy points. No brainwashing here. God save A.T. Still! :p

I imagine once I get my degree the following will all make sense: creating thr term osteopathy, flinging the banner, and opening the first school all happened in different years. Like... Very different years. What the **** does flinging the banner mean if its not the creation of the term/distinction nor is it the start if education in it. And his practice existed years before any of this.

Starting to think there is a literal banner at kcom that was thrown but one time. The most important flag chucking in American medicine.

Just thought I would come in late and say :thumbup::thumbup: to this.

I'm glad you had passion for your D.O. degree. But it worries me that you made this thread because I know you created this to make yourself and other D.O's feel better at being "inferior" to M.D.'s. +pity+

You need to stop thinking like this and realize that you are equal, if not, superior to M.D. , Making threads like this is just to make you feel better because deep down inside, we all know why you are a D.O. ;) but dont let that make you think you are inferior. Be proud of what you have become and I am so happy for you that you enjoy that you are doing!
:horns:

I'm glad you had passion for your D.O. degree. But it worries me that you made this thread because I know you created this to make yourself and other D.O's feel better at being "inferior" to M.D.'s. +pity+

You need to stop thinking like this and realize that you are equal, if not, superior to M.D. , Making threads like this is just to make you feel better because deep down inside, we all know why you are a D.O. ;) but dont let that make you think you are inferior. Be proud of what you have become and I am so happy for you that you enjoy that you are doing!

What is this... I don't even....

facepalm.jpg

Why must everyone say this...?

Just proud that I got out of a career dealing with other people's problems and being spit on to enjoy a career.... wait....

I am also very proud to have the opportunity to achieve my goals and aspirations anesthesiology or bust!!!

WCU COM Class of 2016

I am also very proud to have the opportunity to achieve my goals and aspirations anesthesiology or bust!!!

WCU COM Class of 2016

No pity here. I'm far from inferior to any DO or MD...haha...trust me:thumbup:

This is a drop in the bucket of all the negative DO and OMM threads on this forum. Many of the posters unfortunately are from DO students which is disheartening. Nevertheless, I decided to start a thread for positivity about the field.

Thanks for the advice. It's good to know that you can see all my intentions and feelings after one post on this thread:rolleyes:

Be proud of your education! The haters love it:D

I am very excited to become a DO!! I have a few family members who have had long-term musculoskeletal injuries significantly improve after receiving OMM (anecdotal, I know, but it sure sold me on the potential benefits of OMM). It's so awesome that in two months I get to start learning OMM along with the standard medical curriculum, I'm definitely ready to get it started!! :)

Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

d.oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

A condescending statement from a premed?? I don't believe it....

At least he put his nice guy mask on before trying to make you feel bad. :thumbup:

The greatest achievements in life are appreciated in retrospect

Yes absolutly right.

The notion that we are superior to MDs is a notion that we are VERY VERY VERY lucky that they do not share about us.

I don't consider myself inferior or superior to any of my close friends at MD schools. And I certainly don't believe that they care any less about their patients than I will. I hope someday this divisive talk ends and we can both work together to cure disease and promote health (not just a "DO" idea).

Last edited:
I am not a D.O. yet, but one day I will be. My reasoning for wanting to understand and one day adopt the Osteopathic philosophy emerged while I was a Navy Corpsman serving under several MDs, who crippled many and aided in the addiction of many to prescription drugs. All of them, it seemed, on a daily basis employed the same adage, "a student who makes Cs in medical school at the end of the day is still called a doctor." This, coupled with their brazen neglect of patients, actually drove me away from medicine, after I left the military. I am sure there are instances of this with osteopathic students.

Another reason for wanting to be an osteopathic physicians deals with economics. The monopoly held by the AMA is astonishing and quite perplexing. In 1987, they were caught in conspiracy trying to subvert the osteopathic, chiropractic, and ND professions in order to coalesce power and drive up prices that would result in higher salaries for MDs. I wish to be an alternative for patients. I can only see myself doing this as an osteopathic physician. Here is one of the better articles I have found concerning the current blight the AMA has impinged on this country.

http://mises.org/daily/1749

Proud to be a DO? Not more so than saying proud to be a doctor.

I think it might be more accurate to say "Not ashamed of becoming a DO".

Proud to be a DO? Not more so than saying proud to be a doctor.

I think it might be more accurate to say "Not ashamed of becoming a DO".

Well said! Im proud to be a doctor, I just happen to have the letters DO attached to my name. The sooner DOs stop pretending to be better for being "more holistic", the sooner this discrimination will stop. Not to mention, the sooner DOs realize OMM cant anything outside of a few somatic dysfunctions the better.

The AOA president visited my school once, and told the class if you aren't incorporating OMM into your future, regardless of specialty, you are letting down the name DO. This is a perfect example of the stubbornness that needs to change. How is OMM beneficial for radiologists, neurosurgeons, surgeons, or anesthesiologists? :rolleyes:

Well said! Im proud to be a doctor, I just happen to have the letters DO attached to my name. The sooner DOs stop pretending to be better for being "more holistic", the sooner this discrimination will stop. Not to mention, the sooner DOs realize OMM cant anything outside of a few somatic dysfunctions the better.

The AOA president visited my school once, and told the class if you aren't incorporating OMM into your future, regardless of specialty, you are letting down the name DO. This is a perfect example of the stubbornness that needs to change. How is OMM beneficial for radiologists, neurosurgeons, surgeons, or anesthesiologists? :rolleyes:

As physicians conform to the ways of the medical establishment in this country, no competition will be provide to spawn the necessary innovations in medicine. Instead, all will be working to protect the monopoly in place, causing prices to rise out of control for patients. There must be an opposition in all things. I do not seek to enable the medical establish to harness more control in this country, but rather, I wish to tear it down.

If there is discrimination against DOs, rest assure that it is fomented only to ensure the economic well-being of the elites. It has nothing to do with the quality of medicine, but rather it has everything to do with economic interests. Therefore, I will not capitulate. The problem with the medical profession is that no one strives for excellence any more. They would rather find their nitch in economy and never grow.They just do the same thing over and over and over.

I care not for wealth, but for knowledge and the ability to branch out and help whoever I can. However, with the system that is in place now, it only allows for a medical profession sullied in the reigns of mediocrity. I wish to go above and beyond the call of duty, if you will.

Huh - we had VERY little historical stuff on our OMM tests. Only one test I can think of, that covered the history of some techniques. Had a separate 1 credit history of osteopathic med course that was some lectures and one test. Our regular OMM (OPP) tests were all clinically oriented.

Kate

I'm extremely happy with my training and program!

I'm not crazy about these types of threads. They lead to divisiveness and kind of make us seem arrogant. Just my two cents.

Im just happy that I'm given the opportunity to get into the career that I will hopefully enjoy.