Proving I have "me" time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spirit of the Student Doc

Worrying will never change the outcome
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thread taken down after much ridicule. In retrospect it kinda was off base.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My current pre-med cookie cutter only includes GPA/MCAT but I've been advised to update to the newer version that includes personality and all that other stuff. Please advise.

Alright, thanks in advance
-Spirit of the Student Doc

Ftfy.

Also, why can't science students love video games? Confused.jpg

as a not to be named classmate told me their love for videogaming... not a science student obviously
I'm as confused as @Pasmal. Video games are awesome. Have you never played a game of mario in your life? Is gaming such an embarrassing hobby as to warrant anonymity on online posts? Confused^2. jpg

Say you like Mercedes, golf, and being bad with money. They'll think you're one of them

More seriously though just say golf, reading fiction, and working out. If they ask your favorite novel say All the Light We Cannot See or something like that

The level of cringe I'm having at this thread is pretty high. You don't seriously need someone to tell you how to have fun, do you?

The level of cringe I'm having at this thread is pretty high. You don't seriously need someone to tell you how to have fun, do you?

He's not asking how to have fun, he's asking how to make it look like he has fun. It would probably be better to just be honest but hey whatever floats his boat

He's not asking how to have fun, he's asking how to make it look like he has fun. It would probably be better to just be honest but hey whatever floats his boat

I don't know what's worse.

Reactions: 1 user
My hobbies include things like traveling that aren't as compatible with a stationary med student lifestyle.
Also, I enjoy cars and speed........... and I'm not going to go into it and I'm certainly not going to tell a med school about it. Although, they will see a few speeding tickets (hope they don't look into that or how fast ;))

I go to the gym and that is what one of the residents I spoke with used as his "me" time. But I'm not a gym buff, I stay in shape and I don't view it as "me" time.

-I have nothing against video games I buy NHL every year on the Xbox, I guess I go to hockey games as well. (But being a fan of a team isn't really "me" time, is it?) Used to play hockey, but that was a long time ago and a leg injury (100% healed all good, wasn't that serious) took me out of it.

-The point isn't "Fun" but compatible w/ med school and can be continued through med school. Traveling a lot, a thing for photography of cityscapes on the side, anything illegal in any sense, etc. Are not compatible w/ med school.

Why wouldn't you express who you are to a medical school? This is your life we're talking about. You will spend the next four years at this school. You shouldn't have to hide your personality.

I'm sure there is people who can fake it until they make it, but man, be yourself. Going to the gym is great. Video games are fine. Photography is a hobby, why would that not be compatible with medical school? If it's fun to you, what's the difference? Everyone is different.

What you do on your own time is your choice so long as it doesn't interfere with your professional life. Things that you are passionate about shouldn't be illegal, obscene, or offensive.

With all of that said, medicine is a fairly conservative profession.

Really? I felt certain this was a troll thread, and I was really looking forward to the responses.

You couldn't really have been serious about "proving" that you are capable of having a personal life?

If you were (and wow... just wow... what a question), consider using my stock answer: "All I do is work."

I wanted to know how I could spin this question to my advantage.........

/leaving thread

I wanted to know how I could spin this question to my advantage.........

/leaving thread

Don't be fake. It's called "me" time for a reason. Adcoms look for BS, try selling them some at your own risk. It's hard to fake passion in an interview longer than 5 minutes, but good luck.

Your views of what one can do during med school are warped. I have worked on my car (only chipped w/new CAI and FMIC so far, turboback is hopefully coming soon though!) traveled to do mud races, mountain biked, snowboarded, performed on a dance team, gone HAM in the MFP, accrued way too many hours on XBL and steam playing video games, gone to the gym 3-4x/week... it goes on. I am going skydiving for the first time next month.

These are all things you seem to think will be impossible in med school, but they aren't. You can do whatever you want in med school, you just have to want it enough. How you feel about the amount of work you have to do to make up for it will be what dictates your activities.

Meh. It's done all the time.

It's probably more common to fake interests in a school or in research activities, but what good reason do you have for faking an interest in a sport or hobby? If you're lacking that much confidence in your app that you feel that's necessary then whatever, GLHF.