Proving work experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

digitaldodechahedron

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a prospective nontraditional applicant, and I'm wondering how exactly work experience goes into the equation. I've worked almost entirely through my college careers-- at a variety of jobs-- so I'll definitely want the schools to know this. My most recent job was serving as a public school teacher after I graduated college. However, for most of these jobs, I'm not even in contact with any of the former managers and coworkers. How do the schools go about verifying that I actually held these positions? Do they just look at my tax records?

Regards,

-P

Members don't see this ad.

You can just find the emails of your former managers, and just email them saying "If you recall, I used to work for X. May I use your email as a reference for X?"

It's really not that big of a deal. Just put down some sort of contact information for your work experience (email or phone number). As long as you left on good terms you should be good to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's probably unlikely that they will check at all unless something looks suspect. Even if they do check, I doubt it would be anything beyond confirming the dates worked and position held. Just like an employer might when you apply for a job.

I honestly don't think they will check unless you give them a reason to suspect foul Play on your app. It's not hard, given how many applicants they comb through, to spot someone who sticks out like a sore thumb. So, I imagine it is only those special cases where they will actually take action and call your employers.

Thank you for the replies. That's very interesting to me that they don't as a standard check every applicant's work history. To be honest, it seems pretty ripe for abuse. One of my main worries is that a significant part of what I would consider my more important work history is going to somewhat impossible to prove. I lost my job as a school teacher because our school closed was shut down. There is no one to contact, as the school no longer exists. But I definitely want them to know that I actually did this work, as otherwise it would look like I was sitting watching grass grow for two years in between my BA and my post-bac'. Also, in regards to work history: how much will adcoms really care about anything? For instance, I have reasonable grades (~3.5 cum for my three degrees and certificate), but I've been working pretty much the entire time I was in college in somewhat irrelevant positions (dishwasher, bartender, painter, schoolteacher, etc). Do they care at all about this experience, or will my application look the same as if I had not had it? Will it give me a slight bump since I was obviously having to split my studies to pay bills?

Regards,

-P

Schools can get 10000 applications, so they tend to trust you to a large extent on things like work experience. If it ever came up someone lied it would potentially get them kicked out, so most tend to be very honest on the app. So answer things best as possible.