PS - Include bad experiences?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MattGMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I go to a UC. If I researched for the UC's Med school, and although left on good terms with my PI, didn't really continue nor ask for a LOR bc I didn't really learn anything from the experience, can I politely state on my personal statement that:

-yes I did complete a research internship for the UC med school
-learned a bit about clinical research, but moved on to doing other research bc I wanted to gain a different experience and felt it wasn't the right position for me?

^How can I communicate this without offending anybody, especially the med school? My PI barely had time for me, and my supervisor can't say much about me except for "he was on time, pipetted great, delivered samples, etc zzzzz"- Not expecting a strong LOR anyway, and hope nobody will question me why I didn't ask for one.

Will this sound legit, or will it give bad vibes?

Also, if I did an activity for 1 day, for some club which I quit, should I include this anyway in my Activities?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Actually the purpose of the PS is to relate the circumstances of why you want to go into medicine. What experiences have you had that pointed you in this direction.

Besides the fact that you will probably be applying to more than one school (?). The PS will be written once and going to whatever school you are applying for.

-learned a bit about clinical research, but moved on to doing other research bc I wanted to gain a different experience and felt it wasn't the right position for me?

I would just say what you said. It was fine, but it wasn't the right position, and after you put in the time agreed on, you decided to move on. The ideal situation is that you'll fall in love with your research and the PI will write you a great letter, but it's not required. Plenty of people use other letters instead.

Also, if I did an activity for 1 day, for some club which I quit, should I include this anyway in my Activities?

No. Why would you use up an EC slot (and waste an adcom's time) with an activity you did for 3 hours? Definitely leave that off; it's irrelevant.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok thanks a lot!

I think this question should be reworded to "During INTERVIEWS, how to politely express that I chose the less prestigious research job that would ultimately be more rewarding for me in terms of experience, vs working for the big UC doc that basically gives me secretary/lab rat work"?

I go to a UC. If I researched for the UC's Med school, and although left on good terms with my PI, didn't really continue nor ask for a LOR bc I didn't really learn anything from the experience, can I politely state on my personal statement that:

^How can I communicate this without offending anybody, especially the med school? My PI barely had time for me, and my supervisor can't say much about me except for "he was on time, pipetted great, delivered samples, etc zzzzz"- Not expecting a strong LOR anyway, and hope nobody will question me why I didn't ask for one.

Will this sound legit, or will it give bad vibes?

Thanks!
No I don't think so. Don't write anything that you cannot spin in a positive way, and do not attempt to make excuses for your mistakes, no matter how valid they are. Take responsibility for everything. But certainly don't dwell on this **** in your PS. Sell yourself. ABC. AIDA.

tell them that you wanted greater responsibility in research, that is all.