PS q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Radon

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey

just wondered if i should mention interest in doing a fellowship post residency...i havent done any research etc so it's not like i can say that my med school career has been geared towards GI or anything but in talking about where i see myself in the future should i mention that i would like to specialize?...

thanks!
r

Members don't see this ad.

Radon said:
hey

just wondered if i should mention interest in doing a fellowship post residency...i havent done any research etc so it's not like i can say that my med school career has been geared towards GI or anything but in talking about where i see myself in the future should i mention that i would like to specialize?...

thanks!
r

I did, but I have been a research fellow these last three years since graduating. There are programs that like to know their residents all desire to do fellowship. Then there are the majority that really don't care. It is always good to have future goals in mind, though.

Radon said:
hey

thanks!
r

Being honest is the best policy, but be tactful. Don't say "I only want to do GI because IM sucks and I hate primary care and I have had my eye on the H2 Hummer for a while, which an internist could never possibly afford." You can say something like "My primary goal for residency is to learn all the skills necessary to be a great general internist. I find it gratifying to be well educated in the workings of the entire body. However, in medical school I was particularly fond of the pathophysiology of the GI tract (and then talk about why a particular disease or something else in the field really interested you). During residency, if I find that I particularly love one aspect of internal medicine, I would consider pursuing a subspecialty fellowship."

I think this would be the best way to go about it. I think something like 40-50% of IM residents (maybe more) pursue felloship these days so it isn't like it is unhaerd of. Also, a lot of places will take great pride in the success of their residents pursuing fellowships. The most important thing is to maintain your integrity by being honest and open.