Im ps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CD15

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Do I need to include "why I wanted to become a doctor" in my PS for IM residency application?

2. How would it look if I left it out?

Members don't see this ad.

Im working on mine now as well. The advice I have gotten regarding this question is a resounding NO. Obviously this is implied because at the time of interview you are 6 months away from having your MD. I was told to focus on the specialty you are applying. That being said, I spent a few sentences talking about how IM embodies the things that made me want to be a physician to begin with...

1. Do I need to include "why I wanted to become a doctor" in my PS for IM residency application?

2. How would it look if I left it out?

You can include why I wanted to become an internist. Don't include why I wanted to be a doctor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Talk about that one time in mexico . . . you know the time things got a "bit" out of hand . . . with the hookers and cocaine. :nod:

Ugh. If I have to read ONE more PS about the love of pulmonary and critical care . . .

Heh.

Personal statements are stupid. Really. I mean there is only a very narrow format you can use without looking like a crazy person or an idiot right? And when you write within those confines, they usually end up being pretty borinig and those of us who have to read them bitch and moan.

The one thing I would say though is don't give us a list of ALL your achivements. That's pretty damn horrible to read and we will judge you for being a douche.

The one thing I would say though is don't give us a list of ALL your achivements. That's pretty damn horrible to read and we will judge you for being a douche.

The best advice I got from my advisor was that anything that will be in your CAF, MSPE, transcript or Chair's letter should NOT go in your PS.