PSTP programs and the like

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

echod

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who have experience interviewing for or running PSTP programs, what is the expectation for MS3 or 4 clinical performance? Do PSTP type programs want equally outstanding research and clinical performance or is research emphasized much more than clinical? In other words, do I need to be at least as competent in the clinics as my co-interns?

On a separate note, are cardiology PSTPs very competitive because of the cardiology fellowship guarantee?

Members don't see this ad.

For those who have experience interviewing for or running PSTP programs, what is the expectation for MS3 or 4 clinical performance? Do PSTP type programs want equally outstanding research and clinical performance or is research emphasized much more than clinical? In other words, do I need to be at least as competent in the clinics as my co-interns?

On a separate note, are cardiology PSTPs very competitive because of the cardiology fellowship guarantee?

Research>> clinical... but you need to be competent and have good letters. On your interviews you will need to present your RESEARCH and demonstrate a commitment to it. They are committing a lot to you- they will allow you to "fast-track" meaning others will have to have additional clinical duties so you can sit in lab. At the end, you need to be proficient and pass your boards, but you will be expected to do 3ish years of post-doc- usually built mostly/partly into your fellowship.

From my experience you get fellowship of choice, so if accepted into PSTP and you want to do Cards- there you go. A free ride to a competitive subspecialty. However, some programs will need you to commit to a subspeciatly before you start residency.