Psych 101 textbook recommendations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

metta.cognition

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
To my surprise, a search of the forums didn't return a thread like this.

For those that have taught, what are folks' recommendations for a Psych 101 textbook? And why did you choose that one over others?

Members don't see this ad.

To my surprise, a search of the forums didn't return a thread like this.

For those that have taught, what are folks' recommendations for a Psych 101 textbook? And why did you choose that one over others?

I'm using Ciccarelli now, purely by dept. default (paper copies are very pricey) but last semester I picked Myers' Exploring Psychology, which was decent overall, although completely wrong about counseling psychology in the blurb about it. It was mid-range difficulty. I picked it due to mid-range level, page layout/examples, and the relatively low cost compared to some others, which can go all the way up to $250 for a printed copy (horrifying price for an intro book).

I try to steer clear of books that have weird page layouts, such as 2-3 columns on one page, as if you were reading a short newspaper/journal article, not a 500-page textbook. I'd be really annoyed having to read a textbook like that as a student.

Myers and Ciccarelli seem to be pretty popular in my area.

Reactions: 1 user
Pearson's Psychology by Ciccarelli. I found found it pretty easy to teach from. Some of the instructor materials that come with the text I have found helpful.

I read and thought about using Macmillan's Psychology in Modules by Myers, but have not because of the higher price for my students.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the suggestions! Will look into these.

Very nice that both posts considered the costs that the students will take on. I still like physical books, but I know nowadays the youths like ebooks, so I'll see which have that option, too.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the suggestions! Will look into these.

Very nice that both posts considered the costs that the students will take on. I still like physical books, but I know nowadays the youths like ebooks, so I'll see which have that option, too.

This was definitely a consideration for me. I actually let my students use older (4th edition) version on the Ciccarrelli book to save money, even though I teach from the 5th edition. That seemed to go well this year.

Reactions: 1 users