Psych board exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ComicBookHero20

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard there was this Massachusetts book or something of that sort which is supposed to be an amazing resource for the board exam--does anyone know what this book is (and if you do, if my information is correct?)

Members don't see this ad.

I heard there was this Massachusetts book or something of that sort which is supposed to be an amazing resource for the board exam--does anyone know what this book is (and if you do, if my information is correct?)

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

"Massachusetts book or something"... that's great, really <dabs tears of laughter from eyes>, very funny. Dig your username though (shame about the DC avatar).

I think what you're looking for is:

http://www.amazon.com/Massachusetts...r_1_24?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219109141&sr=8-24

Unless you mean "step 3" for the boards, in which case this might be better:

http://www.amazon.com/Massachusetts...=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219109123&sr=8-7

Or the Psychosomatic Medicine Boards, in which case this is what you're looking for:

http://www.amazon.com/Massachusetts...r_1_38?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219109286&sr=8-38

Or if you just need a good all-around reference, there's:

http://www.amazon.com/Massachusetts...r_1_32?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219109274&sr=8-32

Members don't see this ad :)
What's the big deal? Other states have hospitals too. :rolleyes:
And "General Hospital"? Isn't that just a TV show? :smuggrin:

Hey, Man's Greatest Hospital isn't necessarily the be all and end all that some make it out to be, but you can't knock the books - esp. the handbook of general hospital psychiatry - it's essentially the bible of CL.

Last edited:
I just got my score back from the June exam. I got a pretty high score...much much higher than my PRITE's. Even the neuro was high.

My advice:

1. The general review books aren't too useful. Mass General is probably overkill. The APA book is too basic and does little more than review DSM-IV criteria (which you have to know well).
2. Absolutely get the Focus in Psychiatry question book, and know it well. Many questions seem as though they were lifted directly. Know the developmental theories cold. All aspects of them. The Focus book does a great job of drilling the iterations of questions related to this into you.
3. Do some old PRITE's.
4. Many will jump through the computer screen at me over this...but: Kaufman is overkill for the neuro portion. It takes a long time to read, and the vast majority isn't on the test. Know the big neurological syndromes and diseases, and know big crossover topics such as parkinson's, dementia, seizures, and know the treatments relatively well. You can probably get away with Neuro Secrets, which is more condensed, and has a lot of the same information.
5. Know the antiepileptics cold. Mechanisms, side effects, and especially (so important I'm giving it its own number):
6. Carbamazepine. Know what it is, why it is, every interaction related to it, its interaction with the P-450 system, its clinical indication, meds you can give with it, meds you can't give with it, etc.
7. The Spiegel test review book is also great. I'd focus big time on these two question books. They include neuro questions, which were great.
8. I spent a lot of time on sleep disorders, the normal sleep cycle, etc., since it has always been a weaker spot for me. Only a couple questions related to this on the test.
9. Don't kill yourself studying CT's, MRI's, etc. I had exactly none on my test. Now others say they had a bunch of them. Most of my colleagues that took the test had only one diagram, and it wasn't related to brain imaging at all.

Something I didn't know till I got my score back... You need to pass both the neuro and the psych section. They give passing scores for each. So don't blow off neuro thinking you can make up for a bad score on the psych portion. If you fail the neuro portion, I think you may fail the whole thing.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
I just got my score back from the June exam. I got a pretty high score...much much higher than my PRITE's. Even the neuro was high.

My advice:

1. The general review books aren't too useful. Mass General is probably overkill. The APA book is too basic and does little more than review DSM-IV criteria (which you have to know well).

Good luck.

*Flight or Fight -- ACTIVATED!!*

Thanks OPD...

I have to fly/drive to Boston for my orals.

Taking good tips now!
i.e. good taverns with nice tap selection, etc.

:D

Speaking of Massachusetts books, I just picked this baby up (read: thank you drug rep lady for taking pity on a poor resident) since I thought it'd be useful during my 2nd year (mostly inpatient/Geri, 3 months of C/L). Are you guys fans, or should I dump it on Amazon/ebay and turn it into something else?

Speaking of Massachusetts books, I just picked this baby up (read: thank you drug rep lady for taking pity on a poor resident) since I thought it'd be useful during my 2nd year (mostly inpatient/Geri, 3 months of C/L). Are you guys fans, or should I dump it on Amazon/ebay and turn it into something else?

Listen to Doc Samson--this book should be read, memorized, and actively worshipped. :bow:

(Yes, OPD owns a copy too, and treats it with reverence.)

Listen to Doc Samson--this book should be read, memorized, and actively worshipped. :bow:

(Yes, OPD owns a copy too, and treats it with reverence.)

I have two copies - one for the office and one for home. Contains the single best chapter I've ever read (Limbic Music by George Murray), and probably the line that has most defined my career:

"neither an ever-widening social circle nor victory in popularity contests is the C-L psychiatrist's raison d'etre; competent doctoring is" (Chapter 2, John Querques and Ted Stern)

I have two copies - one for the office and one for home. Contains the single best chapter I've ever read (Limbic Music by George Murray), and probably the line that has most defined my career:

"neither an ever-widening social circle nor victory in popularity contests is the C-L psychiatrist's raison d'etre; competent doctoring is" (Chapter 2, John Querques and Ted Stern)

Seems as though we could just strike that "C-L" out of there and apply it to all of us. Especially the next time we have one of those "Why do other doctors hate us" threads.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks OPD...

I have to fly/drive to Boston for my orals.

Taking good tips now!
i.e. good taverns with nice tap selection, etc.

:D

Which hotel are they putting you in? Once we know that, I can tell you the best and closest pubs.

You realize, of course, that oral boards in Boston = getting drilled on a psychodynamic formulation. There's no hospital in town they can send you to that isn't overwhelmingly psychodynamic in orientation - except maybe for Mass Mental where you should be very, very afraid of the high likelihood of the primitive borderline and hope you get the disorganized psychotic.

There's no hospital in town they can send you to that isn't overwhelmingly psychodynamic in orientation - except maybe for Mass Mental where you should be very, very afraid of the high likelihood of the primitive borderline and hope you get the disorganized psychotic.

Greeeaaaat.
:rolleyes:

I figure that if you can speak good English, the orals are basically a slot machine. You have about a 50% chance of hitting it, statistically.

I assume you've seen this article...

How to Pass the Psychiatry Oral Board Examination .
Psychiatric Clinics of North America , Volume 30 , Issue 2 , Pages 199 - 218
J . Krasuski

I thought it was useful

That looks good. I'll be sure to download it soon.

Thanks for the link.

-I found Kaufman helpful for part I, at least the text - did not spend much time on the question/answer part. But I agree that parts are probably overkill.
-I thought Spiegel's psychiatry test preparation book was helpful.

-I'm using Boarding time for part II.
-Eventually I will probably have to brush up on DSM criteria for part II.

A general question for all those who have passed Part I. What was the quantity and level of statistics questions?

I think I had about 5. To the level of the step exams, I'd say. Pretty straight forward. General questions on descriptive statistics, types of study designs...stuff like that.

Took the written board exam in late June.

I didn't write down my experience on it because I was in the middle of getting out of my old job, starting 2 new jobs, and buying a house.

I pretty much agree with every Anasazi wrote.

I used the Beat the Boards notes & the Kaufmann notes. Clarification--that's the Kaufmann notes he gives out with his review course and not the textbook.

The Kaufmann text is a great book, but as Anasazi mentioned, its overkill for the boards. Its good for reference or those who really want to just read on the subject for the sake of reading it.

The Beat the Boards notes are designed to teach you the material in addition to having you pass the exam. I guess if you took an SAT or MCAT course its kinda like the equivalent of Kaplan, where Kaplan gives you a lot of high yield information, and you'll have to spend a lot of time studying. It also is very complete, and will most likely build up your foundation of knowledge making you a better psychiatrist.
Overall very good notes though I thought the substance abuse section was too long and low yield (too many entertainment pictures, side jokes that aren't relevant etc). I thought the neuro section was a bit hard to follow, but aside from that very good.
They'll also take time to read, digest & memorize becuase its a few hundred pages of notes, several of which are jam packed with data. It'll take about 2 months to get these notes down (assuming you study intensely about 5 hrs/day or more)

The Kaufmann notes are somewhat of an equivalent of Princeton Review for the SAT or MCAT. It gives the highest yield data, gives quick & easy ways to remember it, but doesn't focus on teaching the subject as if you didn't know it already. The neuro section in Kaufmann was superb & much better than Beat the Boards and several things they mentioned would most likely be on the exam was on my exam.

However it will most likely not build up your knowledge as its seemingly designed to be a high yield, quick & dirty study guide.

Its also much less material, allowing you to less material, and you could probably memorize the notes in about 2 weeks.

If I had to pick between the 2-I'd pick Kaufmann, but I really did like having both. There were certainly things about one set of notes that I liked better vs the other.

If you want a set of notes where you're going to put in a lot of time, and want to study slow & steady, I'd pick beat the boards.

I only had maybe 1-2 brain scans in the exam, and they were shockingly easy. I didn't have to study all those brain scans to get them right.

The cytochome liver enzyme system, I only had very high yield questions on them. Some people have recommended to memorize all of it which is overkill because you'll be spending a week doing so and there was only about 2-3 questions on it, all of which weren't hard. In practice, I simply consult a chart. I think memorizing it is silly, though I do see too many psychiatrists not ever referencing the chart. I already knew the high yield stuff about it. If you consult the liver enzyme chart in daily practice (which you should anyway with any patient on multiple meds), you're probably almost there with what you'll need for the exam. I'd recommend only gutt-memorizing the high yield stuff for it as the Kaufmann and BTB notes suggest.

I had the classic OTL (the benzos not metabolized by the liver) question on my exam about 8x! Yep. 8x having a question asking for the same thing, though differently worded.

Definitely memorize the pediatric neurology stuff. I remember a few Williams Syndrome questions, and I was able to ace them because I had a Williams syndrome patient on my long term unit.

I was able to answer 2/3ds to 3/4 of the questions with no difficulty at all. In fact it was to the point where on several of the questions, I wanted to answer the question without even reading all of it, but I forced myself to do so because I figured there was proabably some type of trick associated with it. Of the remaining 1/3 to 1/4, about 1/2 I was able to narrow down to 2 answers, and the rest I was scratching my head with a WTF feeling.

The exam is much easier (at least IMHO) than Step 3 because its psychiatry/neurology focused, and this is our field. Of course this is with full indication that I didn't get my score back, and for all I know I failed it. On every USMLE exam, I felt I knew 1/3 of them, 1/3 I had to narrow down to 2 possibilities, and 1/3 was a WTF moment.

Sounds like I don't have to worry too much about Statistics then.....
The stats questions as Anasazi mentioned on my exam were also few, and they were easy ones. Type I vs Type II error for example is easy. The stats questions on USMLE were definitely harder (e.g. making you get equations, plug in the numbers, then have to get that answer and plug it into a different equation). The stats on this exam was on the order of you either know it, or you did know it in the past when studying for USMLE, you just forgot it.

Last edited:
Hello, I am to take the oral boards soon.

I was wondering what others think is an appropriate brief cognitive screen for a patient without suspected dementia. what specific questions would you ask?

Of course for a patient with dementia, I suppose I would try to do as much of the MMSE and clock drawing test as possible, but for a non-demented patient, what would you recommend?

For those preparing for Part I, I took the Kaufman course. That course plus a week of studying were invaluable to me and I did well on both sections. I took both the Neuro and the Psych portions of the course and would recommend both, though expensive. Don't bother with the Kaufman textbook; it is a great textbook and has some MCQ but there was no way I could finish it. He gives you a syllabus (similar to syllabi in med school):oops: w/ MCQ for both the Neuro and Psych sections. $1G, 5 days but worth it.

Thank you in advance.

Hello, I am to take the oral boards soon.

I was wondering what others think is an appropriate brief cognitive screen for a patient without suspected dementia. what specific questions would you ask?

Of course for a patient with dementia, I suppose I would try to do as much of the MMSE and clock drawing test as possible, but for a non-demented patient, what would you recommend?

For those preparing for Part I, I took the Kaufman course. That course plus a week of studying were invaluable to me and I did well on both sections. I took both the Neuro and the Psych portions of the course and would recommend both, though expensive. Don't bother with the Kaufman textbook; it is a great textbook and has some MCQ but there was no way I could finish it. He gives you a syllabus (similar to syllabi in med school):oops: w/ MCQ for both the Neuro and Psych sections. $1G, 5 days but worth it.

Thank you in advance.

I think you base it on your patient, but since mine was an elderly woman (who didn't have dementia, but it certainly could have been questioned as part of the DDx), I did:

orientation
3 object registration/recall
Past presidents
calculation (7 quarters)
attention (days/months backwards)
naming

I think you base it on your patient, but since mine was an elderly woman (who didn't have dementia, but it certainly could have been questioned as part of the DDx), I did:

orientation
3 object registration/recall
Past presidents
calculation (7 quarters)
attention (days/months backwards)
naming

What do you mean by "calculation (7 quarters)"?

Does anyone know if and from whom/where the Kaufmann board review notes (not the textbook) can be purchased? i.e. without registering for the course.
Thanks in advance

Hello, question about the psychiatry oral boards:

What's the difference btw the "case presentation" and the "biopsychosocial formulation"? Isn't there a lot of overlap? Case presentation briefly summarizes the cc, hpi, past hx, fh, sh, etc. and biopsychosocial goes into bio (medications, medical hx, etc), psych (therapy), social (family, etc.)

Thanks.

I have another question for all of you..How does the PRITE exam compare to Part I of the boards? Right now I am averaging 60% correct on psych and 55% correct on neuro but I have about 2 years left before I complete residency. Even with these percentages I am in the 16th percentile when compared with other psych residents in my class across the nation. Am I on the track based on my % right vs. wrong or do I need to start praying now??

boardvitals is a great source. helped me solidify my knowledge. got a pretty decent score on the exam.

Hello, question about the psychiatry oral boards:

What's the difference btw the "case presentation" and the "biopsychosocial formulation"? Isn't there a lot of overlap? Case presentation briefly summarizes the cc, hpi, past hx, fh, sh, etc. and biopsychosocial goes into bio (medications, medical hx, etc), psych (therapy), social (family, etc.)

Thanks.

Yes. At the end of the live interview or after watching the video you will give the case presentation. You need to practice this a few times and your training program should be doing this with you at least once a year with feedback given on how to improve. The case should be presented in a structured format like-
Chief Complaint
HPI
Past psyc, medical, family and social hx.- when I did mine, HIV risk was a mandatory issue to ask about
MSE- if you leave our SI, HI or AVh you will be failed
A/P- give differential dx., how you would proceed in ruling in/out the different dx, labs, meds, therapy. Safety is THE most important thing. They just want to see that you know how to think through and will not hurt anyone.

Bio/psycho/social is part of this- how you would intervene in each area. Bio- meds, labs, work up, psyc- therapy (cbt is god for just about everything), social- involve there support system- family, friends, religious group members, etc

I have another question for all of you..How does the PRITE exam compare to Part I of the boards? Right now I am averaging 60% correct on psych and 55% correct on neuro but I have about 2 years left before I complete residency. Even with these percentages I am in the 16th percentile when compared with other psych residents in my class across the nation. Am I on the track based on my % right vs. wrong or do I need to start praying now??

I'm not totally sure how well the scores correlate, but the questions are similar. I used my old prites to study. If you are close to failing when you get closer to taking the test, you'd better study a lot more.

Handbook of Psychiatric Drug Therapy is what I recommend using for meds and it's very useful day to day. It is short and cheap.
http://www.thriftbooks.com/w/handbo...=63635710872&gclid=CI6Ll9D3tsMCFVNp7AodTmMAWw