Psych Confusion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dochopeful13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This question is tripping me up. Can someone explain it me?

@Cornfed101 @GreenDuck12

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 33166922-697E-4F86-A2FC-D233F640EAC7.png
    33166922-697E-4F86-A2FC-D233F640EAC7.png
    479.2 KB · Views: 70
The second half of the question stem is stereotyping, but the question stem in its entirety is better attributed to prejudice. Prejudice, in this instance, is basing the opinion on that stereotype. Was that your question?

The second half of the question stem is stereotyping, but the question stem in its entirety is better attributed to prejudice. Prejudice, in this instance, is basing the opinion on that stereotype. Was that your question?
Thank you. Prejudice usually deals with an emotion. I do sense an emotion here that is what threw me off. Seems like a poorly worded question. Do you get that vibe?

Thank you. Prejudice usually deals with an emotion. I do sense an emotion here that is what threw me off. Seems like a poorly worded question. Do you get that vibe?

Focusing only on what a definition "usually" deals with is not a great strategy for P/S. The MCAT loves to test the fringe stuff or very similar examples. Prejudice deals with all forms of attitude, which are affective (emotional), behavioral, and cognitive. An opinion would fall under cognitive. This is a good question and similar to those found on the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Focusing only on what a definition "usually" deals with is not a great strategy for P/S. The MCAT loves to test the fringe stuff or very similar examples. Prejudice deals with all forms of attitude, which are affective (emotional), behavioral, and cognitive. An opinion would fall under cognitive. This is a good question and similar to those found on the MCAT.
Appreciate it. Stereotyping also has a cognitive component. How can you tell the two apart?

Appreciate it. Stereotyping also has a cognitive component. How can you tell the two apart?

I think about it as prejudice being one step further. Stereotyping in this question would be: poor people make poor decisions, that's why they are poor. Prejudice is when that changes your thoughts, behaviors, or emotions. The opinion of health policy is affected by that idea. Stereotypes are oversimplified ideas about groups of people. Prejudice refers to thoughts and feelings, while discrimination refers to actions.

I think about it as prejudice being one step further. Stereotyping in this question would be: poor people make poor decisions, that's why they are poor. Prejudice is when that changes your thoughts, behaviors, or emotions. The opinion of health policy is affected by that idea. Stereotypes are oversimplified ideas about groups of people. Prejudice refers to thoughts and feelings, while discrimination refers to actions.
Ah makes sense. Thanks again.

Work on learning all the P/S terms in relation to similar terms like this and it will serve you well. Focus on those subtle differences.