psych GRE and importance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joetro

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To make a long story short, GRE messed up with a score request of mine and sent my Psych GRE scores along with the general to three schools that only needed the general. I am not sure what my psych scores are, so if they are okay/good it could be just fine, but if they are not ...

Any idea what schools do with psych GRE scores if they aren't required or recommended? Do they not pay any attention to them at all, or do they look at them if there's an outlier (i.e. his psych grades are good but psych GRE is bad). Could they reject me because of this?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

if your psychology grades are good, I highly doubt that your psych GRE score is low :)

wish i shared your optimism, but thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent all my schools my psych GRE's, even though I do not know my score yet. I spoke with one of the schools, who did not require the psych GRE, about my score coming in after deadline, and they said that they do not even look at it. I'm assuming most schools that do not require it probably feel the same way.

the psych GRE is the least important criterion even for schools that take it. This is not the MCAT, people!

Thanks. I know it's pretty unimportant, but I still didn't want to give a school a reason to reject. Thanks for the reassurance.

I have a question: what happens if you're a good candidate applying to a school that requires the psych GRE, but you did not take it? Will they just throw your application out outright? I know that for some med schools, they will accept some students anyway, even if they have 1 or 2 pre-med classes unfulfilled. Anyone have any thoughts or experiences on this front?

Contact the school. Why didn't you take it if you are applying to schools that require it?

lazure said:
Contact the school. Why didn't you take it if you are applying to schools that require it?

Because only one school I'm applying to requires it, so its a little too much effort to put in for only one place. Plus, I think its a silly test. I'm a psych major, if they want to see how well I know my psych, they can look at my grades.