Psych Tech Job?

Started by shamrock4
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

shamrock4

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone worked as a psych tech prior or during graduate school? I have the chance to work a 16 hour shift at an inpatient unit, wondering what it is like? Seems like a great chance to get experience.
 
Yes. just tell me what you want to know.

And, 16 hour shift? Why?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello there. I currently work as a tech at a psych ward and I have to say that it is not the most rewarding of jobs. You do a ton of work for very little.
Let me know if you would like to discuss this further.


Has anyone worked as a psych tech prior or during graduate school? I have the chance to work a 16 hour shift at an inpatient unit, wondering what it is like? Seems like a great chance to get experience.
 
Hello there. I currently work as a tech at a psych ward and I have to say that it is not the most rewarding of jobs. You do a ton of work for very little.
Let me know if you would like to discuss this further.

I didn't think NY allowed the use of techs, unless it's part of a practicum experience?

Although I wouldn't disagree that it can be a lot of work for seemingly little reward at times, particularly depending on where/with whom you're working. It's a great way to gain familiarity with measures and standardization beyond what seems to be the case for many non-neuropsych folks in grad school
 
I didn't think NY allowed the use of techs, unless it's part of a practicum experience?

Although I wouldn't disagree that it can be a lot of work for seemingly little reward at times, particularly depending on where/with whom you're working. It's a great way to gain familiarity with measures and standardization beyond what seems to be the case for many non-neuropsych folks in grad school

They dont mean psychometry. The mean nursing assistant type work on inpatient units.
 
They dont mean psychometry. The mean nursing assistant type work on inpatient units.

Ahh yeah, thanks for the correction. I remember catching that the first time I ready this post a couple days ago, but it apparently slipped my mind this time around. That'd explain the whole NY thing.

As for what it's like, I'd imagine, "interesting," "frustrating," and "eye-opening" probably captures a large chunk of it.