Psychiatrist vs. psychologist salary in each state

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That whole state is held together by dried beer cheese and electrical tape at this point.

Not to mention everyone at DSPS is probably drunk by noon.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Not to mention everyone at DSPS is probably drunk by noon.

You're giving DSPS employees a lot of credit. They only have to show up on the Ides of every month, from noon-4. It's cute to think that they actually have someone staffing that office on a regular basis.

You're giving DSPS employees a lot of credit. They only have to show up on the Ides of every month, from noon-4. It's cute to think that they actually have someone staffing that office on a regular basis.

I said they were drunk by noon, I never said they were in the office. Noon-4 seems on target though, I think happy hour at the Old Fashioned starts up around then. Can't beat those half-off cheese curds.

Members don't see this ad :)
She's always complaining that psychiatrists are ignorant for wanting testing by psychologists and hers are just as valid. She says the psychiatrists are not neurodiverse affirming. How is she charging 700 for testing? What testing is she allowed to do?
Because she is neuro-Jess! She takes adding neuro to words to a whole new level. Reading more in her website it just gets deeper and deeper. Her mom is founder of neurolicity which does neuromarketing. Interestingly, the mom lists having a PhD from Ferkauf but doesn’t call herself a psychologist. Digging a little deeper, she doesn’t really have a PhD either as she never did her dissertation. This is a case study in some of the shady shysters we get in our field.

Because she is neuro-Jess! She takes adding neuro to words to a whole new level. Reading more in her website it just gets deeper and deeper. Her mom is founder of neurolicity which does neuromarketing. Interestingly, the mom lists having a PhD from Ferkauf but doesn’t call herself a psychologist. Digging a little deeper, she doesn’t really have a PhD either as she never did her dissertation. This is a case study in some of the shady shysters we get in our field.
Her mom has military background with west point. You think cia?

• Haha
Don't apologize. You should always ask for evidence.

And I was wrong. The overall mean is ~$170k

Jerry J. Sweet, Kristen M. Klipfel, Nathaniel W. Nelson & Paul J. Moberg (2021) Professional practices, beliefs, and incomes of U.S. neuropsychologists: The AACN, NAN, SCN 2020 practice and “salary survey”, The Clinical Neuropsychologist, 35:1, 7-80, DOI: 10.1080/13854046.2020.1849803

Do we know what kind of work this consists of exactly? I know WisNeuro often says that forensic work adds a good chunk of change to a neuropsychologist’s income. Is the average neuropsychologist doing forensic work to make around 170k or would you say they would be making more with forensic work?

Last edited:
Do we know what kind of work this consists of exactly? I know WisNeuro often says that forensic work adds a good chunk of change to a neuropsychologist’s income. Is the average neuropsychologist doing forensic work to make around 170k or would you say they would be making more with forensic work?

Per my brief read, at least some forensic work was reported by 50% of those surveyed. If you are doing full time or majority forensics the income should be significantly higher.

170k would be very easy to make even with PT forensic work.

Reactions: 1 users
That’s pretty good then, luckily my interests are in neuro. Sucks to see how little some psychologists are getting paid around the country, whether they are more general or specialized, these averages aren’t great.

Last edited:
That’s pretty good then, luckily my interests are in neuro. Sucks to see how little some psychologists are getting paid around the country, whether they are more general or specialized, these averages aren’t great.
Yep, sucks for them that they are making that much, and sucks for other psychologists that these offers are being accepted.

Also, RE: the neuropsych pay, as the survey shows, the majority of neuropsychologists are institution-only, with about another quarter-ish being institution + private practice. If I'm eyeballing the tables correctly, the median insitution pay seems to be around 120k for staff neuropsychologists across departments (but neurosurgery neuropsychologists are killing it, comparatively speaking). Folks earning more, predictably, are in leadership/administrative roles.

You can hit 170k in PP doing purely clinical work, but you're gonna be working and/or you'll have a few psychologists/other providers working for you. If you throw in a couple forensic cases monthly, you can probably pretty easily get there.

If you read the article, you’d notice the range is substantial. You could look up CMS rates and the hours needed to make those ranges, and then compare the forensic rates to the hours needed, and see for yourself.

170k would be very easy to make even with PT forensic work.

I will again take the opportunity to say, “I told you so!”.

Reactions: 2 users
I will again take the opportunity to say, “I told you so!”.

I'm fully on board. My only problem with PP is that I didn't do it sooner. I've already made more at this point in the year than I ever did an entire year in a salaried hospital system job.

Reactions: 3 users
I knew of one psychologist who charged $700/hr. She was not a forensic psychologist and she was a PTSD researcher. She did not do much forensic work or clinical work. Her report was not up to par (i.e. used self-rating scales as opposed to proper forensic testing).

I knew of one psychologist who charged $700/hr. She was not a forensic psychologist and she was a PTSD researcher. She did not do much forensic work or clinical work. Her report was not up to par (i.e. used self-rating scales as opposed to proper forensic testing).
How did that business model work out for her?