Psychiatry as an MD/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

silvergirl

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an MD/PhD student, just finished my PhD and rejoined MS3 in June. Step 1 taken in 2006 was 241. My PhD had a psych focus, and I'm 99% sure that's where I want to do my residency. I'm looking into Psych residencies that are in Cali, Atlanta, DC, (warmer, liberal places), and I'm interested in: 1. being happy, and 2. pursuing child/adolescent focused Psychiatry as well as research during my Residency. Any thoughts, suggestions? I'm concerned primarily that my PhD isn't "rigorous" enough (since it was not in a traditional "basic" science, rather Epidemiology and Public Health) for certain competative programs: GW, Georgetown, Hopkins, Emory, UCLA, UCSD, UCSF are my main "high-end" interests at this point.

Is there anyone else in psych who's done the MD/PhD route, or who knows any in their programs? Any suggestions, tips, thoughts -- all would be welcome. Thank you for your time and help! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an MD/PhD applying in psychiatry in this application cycle. In general, I've found that the PhD has been an advantage in the application process, regardless of what the exact content is (though it helps if you can envision how it would be helpful in the setting of psychiatry-oriented research). You'll probably be very competitive, from what you've said so far, at all of the programs you mentioned (disclaimer: competitive does not equal ranked for acceptance). PM me if you've got more detailed questions.

Many of the more competitive psych residencies actively recruit MD-PhD's, including those with PhD's in non-basic science subjects. Their interest is not to produce molecular biologists, but rather to train psychiatrists who will integrate research in a variety of areas (including services research, epidemiology, anthropology and, yes, neuroscience) into clinical practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
UW-Madison (very liberal, hot summers but cold winters) has a research track in their residency.

Think clearly about what you might want to do in 10 years. It's ok if the answer is "private practice," but it will negate the PhD and could lead them to think you're heading into psychiatry to escape "real" medicine.

As for additional programs, consider UC Davis (which is underrated but boasts some excellent, well-organized teachers), Baylor (which has--between Yudofsky, Gabbard, and the Menninger addition, become a vary strong dept in a city which is underrated), and Duke (which has a highly rated med center and basketball team).

Baylor (which has--between Yudofsky, Gabbard, and the Menninger addition, become a vary strong dept in a city which is underrated)

I believe John Oldham is there, too. A great place to be if you are interested in psychodynamic psychotherapy and Borderline PD.

John Oldham is there, where he runs Menninger (and is running for APA president).