Psychiatry & Biomed Engineering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTheHorror

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I am in an MD/PhD program where the PhD is Biomedical Engineering. I am currently in the Psych portion of MS1 and really like it, and would consider doing a reidency in it, but don't know how my PhD will fit in, if at all. How is Biomedical Engineering incorporated into Psychiatry? Would my PhD be completely useless?

Members don't see this ad.

OTheHorror said:
Hey,

I am in an MD/PhD program where the PhD is Biomedical Engineering. I am currently in the Psych portion of MS1 and really like it, and would consider doing a reidency in it, but don't know how my PhD will fit in, if at all. How is Biomedical Engineering incorporated into Psychiatry? Would my PhD be completely useless?

No PhD is completely useless, though some are easier to integrate.
No law says your PhD has to be directly related to your clinical field. Nevertheless, a few options spring to mind. Read up on trans-cranial magnetic stimulation, vagal nerve stimulation, or deep brain stimulation. Also look into fMRI and PET imaging techniques.

Isn't there some stuff going on with cognitive prosthetics? I was watching these shows where they've gotten monkeys to control the movements of cursors on screens through their thoughts. I suppose this is more the realm of neuro though.