psychiatry chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ravendown

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i'm basically an average student. Been getting 50% on most of my shelf exams, including psych. I'll probably get interviews from most programs I think, but what about some programs like Columbia, Cornell, NYU, Mt. Sinai; I ask because I want to stay in New York City [my home and close to family!]. I'm also going to be doing some Psych Research in November [haven't done it before and wanted some experience to see if I like it] and hopefully I'll be getting a Personality Disorders Elective at Cornell's westchester area [hopefully]. Anyone with similar experiences/predicaments care to comment [everyone else is welcome to as well, of course]. This whole residency application is scaring me, since i'm from a 7-year med program, and didn't really have to apply to other medical schools since I did all that during high-school. Thank You.

Step 1: 232
Step 2: haven't taken yet

Members don't see this ad.

So i'm basically an average student. Been getting 50% on most of my shelf exams, including psych. I'll probably get interviews from most programs I think, but what about some programs like Columbia, Cornell, NYU, Mt. Sinai; I ask because I want to stay in New York City [my home and close to family!]. I'm also going to be doing some Psych Research in November [haven't done it before and wanted some experience to see if I like it] and hopefully I'll be getting a Personality Disorders Elective at Cornell's westchester area [hopefully]. Anyone with similar experiences/predicaments care to comment [everyone else is welcome to as well, of course]. This whole residency application is scaring me, since i'm from a 7-year med program, and didn't really have to apply to other medical schools since I did all that during high-school. Thank You.

If all you want is a NYC area residency then you should have a decent shot based on your Step 1 alone. There are a ton of programs of varying competitiveness.

If your application is as boring as your post, then I would guess that Columbia, Cornell, NYU are out of your reach.

Members don't see this ad :)
If your application is as boring as your post, then I would guess that Columbia, Cornell, NYU are out of your reach.

Was that really necessary? Besides being snarky for the purpose of making someone feel badly, what purpose do you hope to achieve by posting this comment?

You probably have a fair shot of getting an interview at Sinai or NYU. Columbia and Cornell might be a reach, but not outside the realm of possibility. Don't forget St. Luke's, which is also a solid program - some people rank it higher than either of the NYPH programs. I've heard mixed things about NYMC, but you'd probably also have a good shot there.

Dude, you'll get any interview you want with a 232. Don't sweat it. Remember the selection bias on SDN is a touch different....Psychiatry is on the rise, but if you do look at the National Directors survey with average scores for interviews, its much lower then a 232. So again, you'll get any interview you want, and I truly hope you go into psychiatry. Its a great field!

Dude, you'll get any interview you want with a 232. Don't sweat it.

A good step score is helpful but it's not sufficient. The rest of the application being middle of the road (especially if the rec letters are not stellar) might hold the OP back. That said you sound like someone who could match in New York, and you should absolutely apply to Columbia, Cornell, and NYU as you might end up filling a niche they are looking for in their program (plus we know little about you as a person which matters quite a bit).