Psychiatry in Canada - applying, cost, age, family

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsyHike

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good evening,

I am in process of making it through my M.A. in Forensic Psychology in US and will most likely relocate to Canada after I'm done. I am still torn between Clinical Psychology PhD and Psychiatry. I have the better knowledge base for the first, and will probably take me less years (5-7), but psychiatry seems more and more like a better fit. So I have several questions for those of you who can help :)

Searching for admissions criteria, is it true that medical schools in Ontario do not require 1 year of chemistry/biology/math/physics/what have you that all US schools seem to require? Is there some sort of unspoken assumption that I have to have it anyway?

It's a silly question, but do I get paid at all while doing the 4 years of residency? And on the related note, how much do medical schools cost in Ontario (ball park)?

And last but not least, I will be 30-32 when I apply. Is it very rare to have students this old at the beginning of med school? Do admissions committees prefer younger students? Also - if anyone has experience with having kids while going through med school - I would greatly appreciate if you could tell me a little about it from your perspective!

Bonus question: do you think it's better to abandon the M.A. and try and get into med school now?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.